Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2017 7:18:58 PM EDT
I'm trying to put together a cheap build for a friend and figured a regular FSB/delta ring/A2 handguard build would be the cheapest but all I see are either barrels not cut for it or barrels that already have the pinned FSB in place but they aren't necessarily as cheap as I'm looking for.  

I already have most of the misc stuff laying around to finish it off so thought a bare barrel that was $80-$90 or something would be the way to go.  Not sure if that's something that is really out there though.  I'm not turning anything up in my web searches but thought someone here might know.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly, the FSB pin notches have to be cut for the actual FSB that is going on the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm trying to put together a cheap build for a friend and figured a regular FSB/delta ring/A2 handguard build would be the cheapest but all I see are either barrels not cut for it or barrels that already have the pinned FSB in place but they aren't necessarily as cheap as I'm looking for.  

I already have most of the misc stuff laying around to finish it off so thought a bare barrel that was $80-$90 or something would be the way to go.  Not sure if that's something that is really out there though.  I'm not turning anything up in my web searches but thought someone here might know.
View Quote

Nope, they don't drill barrels for FSB without the FSB present, I mount a lot of FSB's on my barrels and pre drilled stuff is a pain in the ass.  You have to realize that the FSB does not have the premarked area to drill them, they are matched to the barrel they will actually be mounted on, it is possible to re-use an FSB, but not something that I like to do...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
In the scheme of things, the cheapest is a value priced free float, 60-70.00 barrel and a fixed front sight for free float.  You can be in the whole barrel set up for less than less than 185. FSB barrels are usually around 200 themselves then a drop in handguard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I know there are F-marked FSB's, different diameters, etc but I just assumed the cuts would be more of a universal, one standard size type of thing.  Guess that's not the case?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.
A bare barrel gets a plain FSB slid on and oriented properly, then the hole is drilled through both at the same time. Its not a Mix & Match process - they are mated at the time of drilling.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeez, you guys are fast.  

Ok, so it looks like that idea is out the window.  I just thought it'd be a cheap way to put together an upper and get rid of some stuff in the junk drawer.  

Thanks for the help and education.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know there are F-marked FSB's, different diameters, etc but I just assumed the cuts would be more of a universal, one standard size type of thing.  Guess that's not the case?
View Quote
Nope, nothing universal about FSB's

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Get an A2 style FSB and drill and tap for set screws. Just use red Loctite and you are good to go...............
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#9]
@A2FSB

My tutorials
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#10]
^ the set screw method works if you don't want to mess with drilling for pins. 
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top