Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2017 6:51:06 PM EDT
What are the best "all around" Flash Comps that reduce recoil, muzzle rise, flash, noise and muzzle blast? I realize this will mean it won't excel in any one area and I'm fine with that as long as it does reasonably well in all of them.

I read the articles on TheTruthAboutGuns for recoil and compared them against the ones for flash suppressors. Unfortunately they don't measure muzzle blast or sound levels and a lot of the articles are outdated. From what I've seen the following may be good candidates for ALL AROUND muzzle devices.

BCM GunFighter
Griffin M4SD FlashComp
FSC556 Gen 2
PA AFAB
VG6 Epilson 556
BattleComp

Unfortunately there are many mixed reviews and most don't seem concerned with noise or muzzle blast which will be a major factor when training alongside other people. Can anyone help narrow down this list or point me to something even better? I may buy a suppressor for this gun too so extra points for the ability to integrate into a suppressor like Griffin's M4SD.

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have run a griffin armament and it was good. On my 11.5 5.56 I tried a cmt z flash comp, it is way better imo. I also have a couple epsilons and they work very good but are a little more noisy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the strike ind J-comp is as close as it gets.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Smith Vortex - my only concern is flash that hurts night vision for the second shot or flash that gives your position away.  I dont really like compensators they are unreasonably noisy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.larue.com/be-meyers-249f-556-flash-hider

According to a formal US Army evaluation, the 249F eliminates 96% of all visible muzzle flash and was awarded the highest score during testing. This prevents momentary night blindness and eliminates flash distortion of night vision devices, allowing you to effectively maintain target awareness throughout an engagement.
View Quote

This is what I went with on my SPRish build.

ETA: damn those pics are big!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]
The BCM is good, but the PA AFAB is my fav and now all my AR's have an AFAB.
Does a great job at reducing muzzle climb, muzzle flash is little more than an A2 and no-one on either side of me at classes has complained about the concussion (which is noticeable but not annoyingly so).
JMHO...

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of these and it eliminates all the flash and does a great job as a comp too. I was shooting in pitch black with night vision and never saw a flash.

http://vtsupply.com/midwest-industries-mi-ar-15-tactical-compensator-ar15-comp.html

These do an even better job from what I've heard.

http://vtsupply.com/midwest-industries-mi-ar-15-tactcal-flash-hider-ar15-compensator.html

I have a couple of Spikes Dynacomps too and they are very good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
This has really been helpful, thanks everyone
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The BCM is good, but the PA AFAB is my fav and now all my AR's have an AFAB.
Does a great job at reducing muzzle climb, muzzle flash is little more than an A2 and no-one on either side of me at classes has complained about the concussion (which is noticeable but not annoyingly so).
JMHO...

Tomac

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1593/P5310001-240397.JPG
View Quote
This.

According to TTAG's most extensive and objective testing ever, the AFAB is the most effective combination device on the planet short of a suppressor. A2-like flash suppression and really decent reduction of recoil and muzzle rise. It was the tester's personal choice for his gun after testing dozens of devices.  It shoots really neutral unlike many pure comps. And it is very mild in concussion effects felt by the shooter and those standing near.  It's not among the cheapest.  Even though it's on the heavy side at 3 oz, I chose it for my superlight recce fighting carbine. I tried a 1 oz Ti elongated A2 design. Loved the weight reduction on the front end! Flash suppression was good. But the firing characteristics of the weapon were seriously degraded vs the AFAB.  So even though weight was a very high priority for me on this build, I screwed the AFAB back on and it's staying until I get a suppressor. I won't use anything else. There are better flash hiders and there are more effective comps. But, if you want acceptable flash suppression AND good muzzle control, it's the one. Hands down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]
PWS triad. Its a pretty darn good flash hider with a little bit of compensation to it. Best of all, not muzzle blast. I can tell the difference when comparing it side by side with an A2.

I don't get the logic of running a muzzle brake on a 223. Why on earth would anyone want a louder gun with more blast coming out the sides is beyond me. Set off a round in doors or near a wall and disorient yourself and your teammates kind of defeats the purpose.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#10]
PWS triad. Its a pretty darn good flash hider with a little bit of compensation to it. Best of all, not muzzle blast. I can tell the difference when comparing it side by side with an A2.

I don't get the logic of running a muzzle brake on a 223. Why on earth would anyone want a louder gun with more blast coming out the sides is beyond me. Set off a round in doors or near a wall and disorient yourself and your teammates kind of defeats the purpose.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are the best "all around" Flash Comps that reduce recoil, muzzle rise, flash, noise and muzzle blast? I realize this will mean it won't excel in any one area and I'm fine with that as long as it does reasonably well in all of them.

I read the articles on TheTruthAboutGuns for recoil and compared them against the ones for flash suppressors. Unfortunately they don't measure muzzle blast or sound levels and a lot of the articles are outdated. From what I've seen the following may be good candidates for ALL AROUND muzzle devices.

BCM GunFighter
Griffin M4SD FlashComp
FSC556 Gen 2
PA AFAB
VG6 Epilson 556
BattleComp

Unfortunately there are many mixed reviews and most don't seem concerned with noise or muzzle blast which will be a major factor when training alongside other people. Can anyone help narrow down this list or point me to something even better? I may buy a suppressor for this gun too so extra points for the ability to integrate into a suppressor like Griffin's M4SD.

Thanks for your help!
View Quote

Go find a company.....like SDTA for example. that makes a threaded muzzle device, that when suppressor is removed, you can thread a sound diverting type cover onto the muzzle device.

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:31:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I have always ran Only the A2 Birdcage or the Phantom Flash Hiders.

For my current build I ordered the Vg6 Epsilon 556. (supposed to be a hybrid flash / comp / brake.

They also make a cage device that can go over it which further reduces the muzzle flash, but for now I figured to hold off on the cage until after I see how it performs.

Who knows I may hate the thing and go back to another phantom LOL
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks like there isn't much to gain beyond an A2 birdcage hider.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally I had a PA EFAB, worked great for muzzle control and recoil.  But...way too loud. And could feel the wind in my hair...

Changed to a AAC Blackout. 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For my current build I ordered the Vg6 Epsilon 556. (supposed to be a hybrid flash / comp / brake.

They also make a cage device that can go over it which further reduces the muzzle flash, but for now I figured to hold off on the cage until after I see how it performs.

View Quote
I was the same way, only using the A2. My last build I went with the VG6 Gamma and I'm very impressed. 
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Phantom is the very best FH for the money. One of the best. No muzzle compensation though.

Vg6 is very flashy.

precision Armament AFAB -- Best combo device.

Y'all need to go through TTAG's tests. They really, REALLY tested them. Everyone will say that this one or that one rocks. TTAG tested them side by side. No more arguments. They have the proof.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Yesterday a good friend of mine tried one of my AR's w/an AFAB on it, compared it to his AR w/a BCM Mod 0 (both rifles are similar middy's otherwise).
When we got back from the range he immediately ordered an AFAB for his AR...

Tomac
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Warcomp is supposed to be both compensator/brake.  I have them but don't have a way to test muzzle flash...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#19]
For me, running a muzzle brake on a 5.56 isn't worth the increase in noise if you shoot on a public range.  It tends to annoy the other shooters, and 223/5.56 doesn't have a lot of recoil anyway.  Recoil and muzzle rise reduction come at the expense of increased noise, and if there's a way around that, no one has figured it out yet.  Your criteria doesn't include cost, but if it did, the A2 would be at the top of the list.  For pure flash reduction something along the lines of a Smith Vortex is better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Warcomp is supposed to be both compensator/brake.  I have them but don't have a way to test muzzle flash...
View Quote
It works like a boss.  Flash suppression is outstanding including on a 10.5”, on par with the plain 3-prong, recoil reduction is decent, and muzzle control is excellent and indexable from neutral to left-biased for righties.  Considering it's the only flash-comp of similar FH performance which takes a high quality suppressor, it's the winner IMO.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Gonna say this one more time:

THERE'S NO NEED FOR THIS THREAD IF YOULL JUST GO TO TTAG AND READ THEIR TESTS OF COMPS AND FLASH HIDERS. THEY DID THIS FOR US SO WE DONT HAVE TO GUESS OR TAKE SOMEONE'S  WORD FOR IT.

Y'all need to go through TTAG's tests. They really, REALLY tested them. DOZENS and DOZENS of them. Everyone will say that this one or that one rocks. TTAG tested them side by side. No more arguments. They have the proof. READ AND EVEN WATCH THE VIDEOS IF YOU WANT.

Some of the popular, expensive ones suck, and some of the cheap ones really work. But it's all, "Hey, I got this one, and it's awesome!!" if you don't test them in controlled conditions side by side like they did.

Just google TTAG muzzle device tests or TTAG flash hider tests and see for yourself.

Or you can just go buy this one or that one cause Bubba or Bob said so.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top