Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2017 12:36:52 PM EDT
So i am new to the forums.  I'm on my first build.  What is the advantage to having the lower, and upper cerakoted in comparrison to just leaving them in their anaodized state.  Thats what the Rockriver arms, and Aero precession comes with correct?  .Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So i am new to the forums.  I'm on my first build.  What is the advantage to having the lower, and upper cerakoted in comparrison to just leaving them in their anaodized state.  Thats what the Rockriver arms, and Aero precession comes with correct?  .Thanks
View Quote

If yours are already anodized, I would say to change the color would be the only benefit, I know there is a lot of different colors available from the various companies that do the coating, I have just left all of my guns the same color they were anodized in.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Cerakote is finger nail polish for Barbie.  A properly anodized receiver set has all of the "corrosion and abrasion" protection it needs.  Adding cerakote over the top of the anodizing is just an expensive way of changing the color.

I've had factory cerakoted ARs and they looked neat, but so do the ARs I've rattle canned.  I no longer own any cerakoted guns, and never will again.  If I want to change the color I'll just spray paint them with Aervoe.  When I get tired of the color or the paint is looking worn...I just strip the paint and repaint the gun.  You can't do this with cerakote.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I get tired of the color or the paint is looking worn...I just strip the paint and repaint the gun.  You can't do this with cerakote.
View Quote
That's actually a selling point for Cerakote.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Not when you need a clean room, blast cabinet, etc. just to do Cerakote because you can't just rattlecan them and have it come out right.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not when you need a clean room, blast cabinet, etc. just to do Cerakote because you can't just rattlecan them and have it come out right.
View Quote
Actually if you buy rattle cans at the Automotive paint store and pay attention to the instructions, you can get a very durable finish, but you are not going to find anything at Home Depot or Lowes that is going to last all that long.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
There are many schools of thought when it comes to painting firearms. Some what durable while others want easily applied/reapplied. 

Persobally I am a fan of gun kote or plain ole spraypaint for home use. Easier to do and less finicky. Cerakote is not easy to apply well, if you screw up in prep you quality of work will be shit. 

Spraypaint is the least durable but easily removed. Downside is it will wear off, however as it wears it creates a natural camo pattern. Other downside is it will come off on you. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone considered just slapping Alodine on an aluminum lower and then covering with whatever paint you want to use?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Has anyone considered just slapping Alodine on an aluminum lower and then covering with whatever paint you want to use?
View Quote
Yes but that's a discussion for another thread. OP already has factory anodized lowers and is asking about paint on finishes. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
It gets you ooooohs and ahhhs on the picture threads and at the range. That's about it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cerakote is pretty duarable. More durable than anodizing, in my exp.... most people get it just to have some uniqueness in their firearms. Thats the only reason I got mine done.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've never heard of it, myself. I'll look it up to see what I can find on it, but what are the pro's and con's of it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
It just allows you to paint aluminum. Alodine basically treats the surface so that anything will stick to it. It does not require any setup, just the chemical.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top