Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2017 12:06:14 PM EDT
What would be the best barrel material for production ammo?  IOW, realistically, I will only ever shoot Wolf/ Wolf gold, PMC, etc..  I will never reload or buy precision ammo.  What's the best barrel material considering these ammo choices are not the most accurate?

Like matrix or something that says don't waste your money on X, Y or Z if you're only shooting surplus.

I like chrome for the ease of cleaning.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

What would be the best barrel material for production ammo?  IOW, realistically, I will only ever shoot Wolf/ Wolf gold, PMC, etc..  I will never reload or buy precision ammo.  What's the best barrel material considering these ammo choices are not the most accurate?

Like matrix or something that says don't waste your money on X, Y or Z if you're only shooting surplus.

I like chrome for the ease of cleaning.

Thanks
View Quote

Colt 6920 or SOCOM. Mine shoot everything, zero issues.

Most all I shoot is WG and AE 556.

4150 grade is what I would look for.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Stainless steel is known for best accuracy generally.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My stainless does just fine and any of the barrels that I have got from Ballistic Advantage have been great as well, I have a Del Ton that shoots just about everything great as well, most of the major brand names do pretty good with just about anything.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
For longevity, I'd say chrome or nitrided. I've used all barrel types. The only issue with regular parkerized barrels (non lined) is they can rust. I have SS barrels but I'm not sure how they'll hold up over thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo, as it is known that SS wears out faster than steel. Right now I'd be buying a nitrided barrel. A chrome lined barrel costs about $50 more and I think nitride is supposed last longer and be more accurate. A few years ago nitride/melonite was almost unheard of, but now that it is available and cheap it is pretty much the answer to everything.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Who makes it and how tends to be more important than what it is made from.  And how long the barrel will last is determined by that and your needs.  And since your needs don't include accuracy, the most cost effective answer is to buy the cheapest barrel possible and simply rebarrel every time it starts keyholing.  Or if you want max life, a hodge defense chf is the ticket
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]
4150 CMV with chrome lining will be your best bet for a long wearing / functional barrel.

BCM, Colt or Daniel Defense.

If you opt for hammer forging you may see longer barrel life.  BCM offers hammer forging as an option.  Its standard with DD.

I shoot a crapton of Wolf through my BCM, Colt and DD.  No worries / no problems / always goes bang.  I'm personally surprised by the accuracy of a 6920 with Wolf steel case.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
If pure longevity is your objective you may want to go with a midlength gas system.  The extra 2" of barrel between the chamber and gas port seems to slow port erosion, etc.

Google "BCM Filthy 14".

It will make you a believer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd buy an FN from riflegear.com they are on sale for $231 right now.  That is a great value for an awesome barrel.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Hands down for a cheap barrel thatbwill last get a PSA CHF Premium barrel. They are made by FN, chrome lined and are a bargain. If you want a better quality barrel set into a Faxon or BA.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd buy an FN from riflegear.com they are on sale for $231 right now.  That is a great value for an awesome barrel.
View Quote
Or here on sale until 7/12:

https://www.righttobear.com/Cold-Hammer-Forged-AR-15-16-NATO-Barrel-Governme-p/fn-chf-16go-m240v.htm
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Since it doesn't sound like you're a reloader  it's kind of a crap shoot. One barrel likes this and another one likes that. Two barrels from the same outfit will often like different ammo.  Quality barrels will generally improve  your odds. Hard to go wrong  with Colt or Noveski and such but you pay the price. Then there's the whole matter of twist rates vs bullet weight. Do some resd8ng and research if you want to get it right. Be prepared to pay if you want better odds. Your barrel is the most important part. The barrel material is secondary to quality by a long shot (no pun intended).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top