Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 10:15:11 AM EDT
I know the normal sequence of events is

1. Pistol
2. Form 1
3. Stock

However, I have had all the parts for a pistol sitting around for about 6 months. Yep, my fault but I just haven't gotten around to building it out.  Here are my questions....

1. Can I go ahead and submit the form 1 without the pistol being built?

2. Can I submit the Form 1 then build the pistol while I am waiting for it to clear? I know this is backwards but I am wasting time with the parts sitting in a closet.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1. Pistol
2. Form 1
3. Stock

However, I have had all the parts for a pistol sitting around for about 6 months. Yep, my fault but I just haven't gotten around to building it out.  Here are my questions....

YES - if you have the lower receiver and have the serial number now

2. Can I submit the Form 1 then build the pistol while I am waiting for it to clear? I know this is backwards but I am wasting time with the parts sitting in a closet.
YES - I know several guys that have done this with no repercussions

Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I am confused by your post, unless you mean your ultimate goal is an SBR rather than a pistol.

If the goal is a AR pistol, you don't need to fill out a Form 1.

You mention adding a stock, but you keep calling it a pistol...  So, if you say stock, but you mean brace...

Don't know how much you want to spend, but you could get a Maxim brace and change out the "brace" part (that looks very much like the "stock") when the From 1 is approved.

Or, after you put it together you might decide you don't need to go the NFA route.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

1. Pistol
2. Form 1
3. Stock

Thanks
View Quote
Build it up, bub. Have it ready so when the form hits your email, switch to a stock. 

EDIT: my first SBR I built Prior to doing my E-form. At that time, I had a Magpul UBR stock that I was using. I just used it as a pistol w/o the stock portion on it
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't know how much you want to spend, but you could get a Maxim brace and change out the "brace" part (that looks very much like the "stock") when the From 1 is approved.
View Quote
Dear God that "brace" is $300!!!  I get shockwaves as kits for under $75.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a lot easier to figure out the final OAL if you mock it up as a pistol first.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dear God that "brace" is $300!!!  I get shockwaves as kits for under $75.  
View Quote
More than that if you buy it one configuration and switch it to the other!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top