Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2017 5:01:42 PM EDT
I purchased an Anderson LPK for my next build.  Looking at the trigger and hammer, they are either phosphated or black oxide finished.

Thinking about the trigger/hammer sear engagements, they look rough as hell right now.  Apart from just junking them would there be any benefit in trying to polish these surfaces?  I'm used to seeing a nice silvery polished finish on my triggers and hammer engagement points and I fear that without polishing it the trigger pull will feel like crap.

Anyone had any decent results withe the stock trigger/hammer?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
#1, if you gave more of a crap than the typical redneck, you wouldn't have purchased very nearly the most craptastic LPK out there for your build.

#2, act like you care and at least get an ALG ACT fire control group for it

---------

I'm seriously LOL'ing that you admit to having bought an Anderson LPK, and that you then went on to post about improving it.  I own three Anderson lowers that I bought stripped, and saved so much in the deal for each that I then bought Bravo Company and PSA/ALG LPK's.

Cheapening out on the LPK to the degree that you did... man, you really didn't want anything even marginally good, huh?  
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought an Anderson lpk once. And once was one time to many, the trigger I got would not even fir in the lower, by not fit I mean it wouldn't even drop in the lower. It was probably 1/8 inch too wide. The other parts in the kit like the mag release and bolt catch looked like they had been spray painted. 
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Altering the trigger/hammer engagement surfaces is something I never do. You are just asking for an incident, imo.

CMMG builders kit and ALG fcg are my go to.

I'd throw it in the parts box, personally.

Live and learn.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, how comfortable are you with your mechanical abilities? There are dozens of YouTube videos on AR trigger polishing. Some good, some bad. There is also a trigger job thread here on this site. I'd say watch a bunch of videos, read through the AR trigger job on this site and then decide if you are comfortable in your abilities to perform it. Good luck with your decision.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/544583_Trigger_work_.html
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I've gotten Anderson LPKs with a stainless hammer and trigger.  Was VERY impressed with how smooth it was.  Maybe they're not putting those in the kits anymore.  I've polished the surfaces carefully with a very smooth sharpening stone before to reduce grittiness, which worked well.  Gotta be careful not to change any of the angles, though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used a few Anderson LPKs in low dollar beater builds and have had no failures or issues to date. One has been stoned and polished to a 4.5lb pull and again.. no failure to date. I do expect that it will probably fail one day but I like to try things for myself rather than listen to the regurgitated ramblings of the keyboard warrior nation. YMMV. If you're worried about it just pick up an RTB enhanced nickel Teflon FCG for 39.99. They're smooth and crisp with a 5lb break
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#8]
To answer your question OP, yes you can. 1500 grit sandpaper and be very diligent. Dab of grease and dry fire holding the hammer back will help smooth it up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
#1, if you gave more of a crap than the typical redneck, you wouldn't have purchased very nearly the most craptastic LPK out there for your build.

#2, act like you care and at least get an ALG ACT fire control group for it

---------

I'm seriously LOL'ing that you admit to having bought an Anderson LPK, and that you then went on to post about improving it.  I own three Anderson lowers that I bought stripped, and saved so much in the deal for each that I then bought Bravo Company and PSA/ALG LPK's.

Cheapening out on the LPK to the degree that you did... man, you really didn't want anything even marginally good, huh?  
View Quote
Well alrighty then!!

I wanted to get this build up and running but to hopefully grab some parts (new grip, hopefully a Geiselle SSA) during 4th of July sales.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've gotten Anderson LPKs with a stainless hammer and trigger.  Was VERY impressed with how smooth it was.  Maybe they're not putting those in the kits anymore.  I've polished the surfaces carefully with a very smooth sharpening stone before to reduce grittiness, which worked well.  Gotta be careful not to change any of the angles, though.
View Quote
Yes, subsequently I have seen those on Youtube, but they weren't an option that I noticed when I ordered the LPK.

I haven't heard about stainless steel being a good material for Ar15 trigger/hammer, but glad to hear they are working for you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've used a few Anderson LPKs in low dollar beater builds and have had no failures or issues to date. One has been stoned and polished to a 4.5lb pull and again.. no failure to date. I do expect that it will probably fail one day but I like to try things for myself rather than listen to the regurgitated ramblings of the keyboard warrior nation. YMMV. If you're worried about it just pick up an RTB enhanced nickel Teflon FCG for 39.99. They're smooth and crisp with a 5lb break
View Quote
No, not too worried about it, this will be a range toy just to play with for things I wouldn't try on my 'real' AR which is a Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
DIY FCG polishing is always a hot topic when brought up around here. It's a very polarized debate. Read this thread.

DIY polishing

My opinion: If a properly polished FCG fails after 1000 rounds it was going to fail anyway.

The amount of material removed during polishing is so negligible. If your FCG fails from polishing- it was not properly hardened or the polishing process was botched.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Imo the best lower dollar not cheap as in poor quality, LPK is a PSA with their NiB coated FCG. I was very impressed with how smooth and crisp that trigger pull is. Kit was of good quality, everythi g fit and functions. DPMS LPK is decent as well and had a good mil spec trigger.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
One thing I reaned about stock milspec triggers are that either they are great or not. If it's not a good milspec trigger, you can polish it, grind it ect.  It still creeps, still has a crappy reset, it is just greatly smoother. Any nickelboron or teflon will be better but it depends on how the trigger was prepped beforehand.  My opinion is if your going to spend 50 or 60 bucks wanting a phenomial match trigger, spend the 50 or 60 bucks more for a quality match trigger like the Larue. Or If on a budget, the single stage ALG.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
DIY FCG polishing is always a hot topic when brought up around here. It's a very polarized debate. Read this thread.

DIY polishing

My opinion: If a properly polished FCG fails after 1000 rounds it was going to fail anyway.

The amount of material removed during polishing is so negligible. If your FCG fails from polishing- it was not properly hardened or the polishing process was botched.
View Quote
This, with one caveat. I've polished a couple Anderson stainless triggers before, and they've worked out fine. I usually use a fine ceramic stone on the trigger surfaces, and don't touch the hammer at all. I also don't go to the trouble of using polishing compound. I stone it until smooth, and then stop. Takes out 99% of the creep, and for my use, they're going to be ok. Safety test the rifle before taking it out and enjoy.

Also... I bought an Anderson LPK when Primary Arms recently had them on sale for $25. The quality of the parts (other than the trigger) was comparable to any Palmetto kit that I've bought. I think that if you can find one cheap enough, it's worth a roll of the dice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Like polishing a turd. It is still a turd!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Polish it and be done with it.....I've done many Andersons injected molded triggers and they all came out great and are holding up well. Hell, I don't even think they heat treat them after coming out of the mold or at least I can't find anything about it on line.

Also, do the "15 minute trigger job" and thank me later.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got two of those and both had good triggers.  Matter of fact only "stock" triggers I run on any of my rifles as of now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a anderson LPK, after 100 rounds the springs weaked, triger will not reset corectly. So I seen PSA Kit ALG Act kit  RTB enhanced kit, I want a quality long lasting kit without breaking the bank. What would you suggest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought a anders LPK, after 100 rounds the springs weaked, triger will not reset corectly. S I seen PSA Kit ALG Act kit  RTB enhanced kit, I want a quality long lasting kit without breaking the bank. What would you suggest.
View Quote
I experienced this as well but was able to manipulate the trigger some and it began to work normally again. I don't believe it's a spring issue but more or a debris in the sear issue.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought a anders LPK, after 100 rounds the springs weaked, triger will not reset corectly. S I seen PSA Kit ALG Act kit  RTB enhanced kit, I want a quality long lasting kit without breaking the bank. What would you suggest.
View Quote
ALG and CMMG have always been 100% gtg for me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree Anderson FCG with the stainless steel are pretty good out the box. I put them in 2 of my rifle builds and they have been great for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, not too worried about it, this will be a range toy just to play with for things I wouldn't try on my 'real' AR which is a Colt 6920.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went out the other day and had a little hiccup with my polished Anderson. At no fault of my polish the trigger decided it didn't want to reset for a few rounds. Worked it a few time without ammo and it began to work again. I also checked the disconnector spring and it was in properly. May have just needed cleaned but with all the great sales currently I just ordered a CMC drop in for my 18" SPR-ish AR and put the RTB trigger in place of the Anderson. Theyre great on a budget but I will be phasing them out with the exception of the stainless FCG kit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Anderson offers 2 different LPKs. One has a trigger & hammer in phos finish. The other has a stainless trigger & hammer. I really like the SS LPKs, good roll pins and its very easy to get a safe  3# pull with just a bit of work with a wyoming stone and the set screw inside the grip screw. You can polish the phos finish with a hone, it will just take you a little work. Last gun show here in town one of the vendors was selling Anderson ss LPKs for $38 out the door. I got 3 more to add to the 3 I already had. He didn't have any Loers, maybe next show.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top