Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 11:03:54 PM EDT
Guess I'm gonna need some of these. Anybody recommend a good pair or does it even matter/any will work?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy or borrow a good set, depends on how big or heavy the snap ring is, its possible with a pick and screwdriver.

It's also possible to grind down an old needlenose pliers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#2]
As in for the delta pack assembly retainer?

If so, Harbor Freight is where you need to shop. A cheap set will do you fine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a cheapy, reversible, one at Lowes. I think it was like $7 or something. Works like a champ for my occasional use. Definitely not professional grade, but for hobby use, works.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a cheapy, reversible, one at Lowes. I think it was like $7 or something. Works like a champ for my occasional use. Definitely not professional grade, but for hobby use, works.
View Quote
I have a really good set that I got from Mac many years ago, but the ones I use the most I got at Home Depot and they both straight and angled tips in many different sizes, I think I paid like $10 bucks for them and they get used on everything, guns, winches, and what ever else I need them for.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I absolutely and positively hate those reversible sets. The ends move around and twist on those little pins that hold the jaws, making removing any snap ring of decent spring tension an exercise in pain and frustration. 
They will work for smaller, lighter, snap rings, but it becomes exponentially more difficult the larger in size the snap ring gets.

Channellock snap ring pliers

Those work pretty good, the tips are a little weak for bigger snap rings, but otherwise they work frustration free.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I absolutely and positively hate those reversible sets. The ends move around and twist on those little pins that hold the jaws, making removing any snap ring of decent spring tension an exercise in pain and frustration. 
They will work for smaller, lighter, snap rings, but it becomes exponentially more difficult the larger in size the snap ring gets.

Those work pretty good, the tips are a little weak for bigger snap rings, but otherwise they work frustration free.
View Quote
I got the same from:  https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000TG80SY?tag=vglnk-ca-c52-20

I had a cheap harbor freight set that sucked.

These seem like they are designed much better with changeable tips.  I will say, since getting them I only used them once on a small snap ring, and they sure slipped off a lot.  I am hoping that was unique to that one application.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are gonna use them semi frequently get a high end set. If not you can kind of cheap out. Absolutely do not get them with changeable heads.  They are dicks.  Changeable tips may be acceptable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The ones that I got a few years ago from Home Depot have changeable tips, but you don't change the whole head, to reverse them I flip a small lever and they have worked out quite well.

The tips are held in with a allen head set screw, so the tips don't move once you set them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The ones that I got a few years ago from Home Depot have changeable tips, but you don't change the whole head, to reverse them I flip a small lever and they have worked out quite well.

The tips are held in with a allen head set screw, so the tips don't move once you set them.
View Quote
Have a similiar set. Have rescued my bacon several times. I also have a set to fit those blankety blank rings on a John Deere tractor fuel line. Those things should be against the law.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got the same from:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TG80SY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

These seem like they are designed much better with changeable tips.  I will say, since getting them I only used them once on a small snap ring, and they sure slipped off a lot.  I am hoping that was unique to that one application.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the same from:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TG80SY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I have the Channellock as well.  They are great.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
another vote for the channellock set. I went the harborfreight route and they really sucked
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top