Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2017 9:29:37 PM EDT
I came in to inquire about Forbus Tactical ambi mag catches when I noticed Another thread one page 1 about an AU ambi mag release.  Did the patent on the Norgon expire and cause this flood of copies?  I was curious about the Forbus because the local shop has them for $50 less than a Norgon.  I bought one to mess with, seems like a pretty good copy on the outside.

Side by side with a Norgon, I have a few more pictures in the album, I believe you can access them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Norgon and an AU.
The AU was 1/3 the price and 9/10th the Quality
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Norgon and a Battle Steel(actually three of them). The Norgon is a little bit smoother but not enough to justify the extra price. Time will tell if I still feel this way after using the Battle Steel units more.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought 2 from Botach (no problems) at $19.99 each, free shipping.  Little sticky in the slot on a couple of Andersons.  Spikes punisher didn't like them.

Otherwise, they seem solid.  And I do have a Norgon for comparison.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Do these make pressing the bolt hold open a bit more difficult to access?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not as easy as leaving the stock mag release in, but it's not that difficult either. For a lefty, having the ability to drop a mag while using the other hand to grab a fresh one far outweighs the slight loss of ease in manipulating the bolt lock.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Norgen style are about the same size as the standard mag catch. It pivots on it's self not the lower like some other ambi catches.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I tried a BAD lever once, that interfered with everything. An Norgon style ambi catch has minimal intrusion.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Norgon in my Noveske SBR, and 4 AUs.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend the AU ambi releases.  My LMT SBR, my wife's SR-15 stripped lower build, a Noveske forged N4 build, and my Daniel Defense/SR-15 E3 rifle all have the AU.

Very good piece to add to a gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#9]
If Norgon wasn't so greedy, they'd be standard equipment in all LPK's.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I too purchased the Norgon copies offered by Botach, and they work flawlessly.  I had purchased a Norgon some time ago and it works no differently than the copies out there.  Currently, I have them in an SBR, carbine and an A2.  All the lowers are Spikes, and they have had no issue with them.  I would recommend the knockoffs over the Norgon, just for the price difference.

Ron
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
my Norgon knock-off doesn't provide sufficient mag engagement in my Colt-style 9mm lower.  however, my genuine Norgon does, it works great in my Colt-style 9mm.  i used the genuine Norgon to replace my dedicated Spikes 9mm-specific mag catch.  however, the Norgon knock-off works just fine in my regular 5.56 AR's.

just one data point for this thread.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top