Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2017 2:36:01 PM EDT
Probably the dumbest post of the week, if not the year, but here goes:  Has anyone looked into modifying the AR-15 action so as to do away with or drastically shorten the buffer tube?  I would think that it might be possible to, essentially, chop off the rear of the bolt carrier just aft of the bolt carrier key, and use a stiffer, shorter recoil spring that would terminate at the rear of the lower receiver, or with perhaps a 1" or 2" buffer tube.  That would make it harder to work the action, and it might be necessary to lower the gas pressure so as not to slam the bolt carrier into the rear of the receiver with too much gusto; but perhaps it could be done.  

Another possibility would be to shorten the bolt carrier as above, and enlarge the gas tube hole in the front of the receiver, adding a larger cylindrical extension surrounding the barrel to replace the weight of the rear of the carrier.  This weight could fit closely to the gas port, which would be converted to a short-piston system a la M1 Carbine.  

Something like this would allow for a folding stock on a rifle, or for a pistol to more truly be whittled down to pistol size.

Does anyone know of anyone who has tried this, successfully or not?  Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Op there are lots of options out there. They basically come down to two options

1) piston driven
2) short buffer tube with a different carrier and/or spring set up.

Someone just announced a new super shorty tube in the last couple of weeks actually I forget who it was now but I might pick one up just for the sake of it
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Go  look at the profucts from: deadfootarms.com. I have their 9mm pistol modified buffer system on a pistol build, and their side-folding rifle modified buffer system as well. Both have run flawlessly so far. Will update with more info after I get some more range time on them. The rifle kit allows you to be able to fire the rifle while it is folded, unlike several other offerings. It is a bit spendy but if you want the folded/fire functionality ya just gotta pay for it. I'll try to get the pics from the other thread posted in here in a bit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1) piston driven
2) short buffer tube with a different carrier and/or spring set up.
View Quote
Incorrect - several versions available with no short buffer tube at all, and they are all DI - just move the action spring and recoil assembly into the upper. Yes, they use radically shortened carriers, compared to standard DI offerings.

See Rock River LAR-PDS, EXTAR EXP-556, OA-93/OA-98, Para TTR and maybe some others.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
As always, you guys are the greatest!  The Extar looks quite affordable.  Wonder if they could be talked into chambering one in .300 Blk, or whether a .300 Blk pistol barrel would be easy to swap out?  

Thanks!  Lots of possibilities to explore.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]
XCR
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
XCR
View Quote
Yeah...But has the company gotten any better in the last 5 years?  Last time I looked into them spare parts were impossible and good luck getting ahold of someone from RA.

shame too because I really like the design of the XCR. 
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#10]
ZM LR-300/Para TTR is, I believe, what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Double tap, sorry folks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
A Faxon ARAK-21 upper receiver requires no buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ZM LR-300/Para TTR is, I believe, what you are looking for.
View Quote
I was going to post this. I always wanted one. Then Para started making them
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top