Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2017 5:18:29 PM EDT
I just got done building my upper and I used permatex copper anti-sieze for the barrel nut.  I know this topic has been beaten to death and I determined that few, if any, threads are damaged by using it. However, I used an aluminum barrel nut and I think most of the issues addressed were using steel.  Do I have anything to worry about?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not use a pure moly grease like you're supposed to?  Auto parts store.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
No experience with alum. bbl nuts, but alum. on alum. is always a bitch.

I'm guessing it will be fine.

I'd have used Moly personally.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I use purple moly, but at the worst, you can use Vaseline on the barrel nut, this is not rocket science!

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just got done building my upper and I used permatex copper anti-sieze for the barrel nut.  I know this topic has been beaten to death and I determined that few, if any, threads are damaged by using it. However, I used an aluminum barrel nut and I think most of the issues addressed were using steel.  Do I have anything to worry about?
View Quote

You'll be fine. In fact, I use regular old anti-seize on steel barrel nuts, too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I was able to strip the upper down and I ordered some Areoshell.  Better safe than sorry I guess.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Copper anti-seize would have been fine.

As long as nothing with graphite is used there will be no issues. Moly grease if the preferred lube.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I was able to strip the upper down and I ordered some Areoshell.  Better safe than sorry I guess.
View Quote
You would've been fine as long as you didn't go swimming in salt water with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#10]
...well you never know lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...well you never know lol
View Quote
Okay, Frog Man.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#12]
My understanding is that galvanic corrosion only occurs with two dissimilar metals.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My understanding is that galvanic corrosion only occurs with two dissimilar metals.
View Quote
This is what I thought, too. I was under the impression that this was more of an issue with aluminum uppers and steel barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Copper and aluminum are dissimilar metals. It can promote corrosion under certain conditions because it's in the grease
View Quote
True. Never considered the copper
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#16]
A lot of anti-seize compounds use graphite.
Today’s anodizing is very resistant to corrosion.
Never the less I stick with mil-spec grease on general principle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
For decades now people have been using whatever anti seize for spark plugs in aluminum heads (w/o issue).
You guys WAY overthink things.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For decades now people have been using whatever anti seize for spark plugs in aluminum heads (w/o issue).
You guys WAY overthink things.
View Quote
I agree. I use regular old anti-seize on every upper I assemble, which is quite a few. On average, probably 10 a week and I've never encountered any issues.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#19]
For real....I don't think it's that critical. If it was outside all day everyday, submerged in salt water frequently then I would not use anti seize with copper. That's what I use cause that's what's in the tool box, been working fine with everything else I've assembled. Also have used moly, regular grease and plain old oil. I've seen firsthand galvanic corrosion on equipment, average AR will never see those types of exposure to create that. My two corroded cents.....
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top