Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2017 4:09:24 PM EDT
I finally got my stamp back. I was trying to assemble the upper using a 12" Seekins MCSR hand guard. The barrel nut that came with the hand guard doesn't have a shoulder on the inside to cinch down the barrel. It is threaded all the way through. Is this a defective nut or am I missing something?

http://i.imgur.com/NDiSr2U.jpg
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That is the newest style which has a second piece, a barrel retainer "nut" with wrench flats that threads into the piece that you have pictured.  It doesn't come with shims like the previous style with a shoulder.  You have to thread your piece onto your upper receiver, time it with the gas tube hole, make sure it's not too far back that your hand guard hits the upper receiver, insert your barrel, slide the other piece with wrench flats on, torque the barrel retainer "nut" while not losing your gas tube alignment, install gas block, hand guard, etc.  Click the link below to see a picture of what you're missing.

Seekins Barrel Nut

HTH,
Okak
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is the newest style which has a second piece, a barrel retainer "nut" with wrench flats that threads into the piece that you have pictured.  It doesn't come with shims like the previous style with a shoulder.  You have to thread your piece onto your upper receiver, time it with the gas tube hole, make sure it's not too far back that your hand guard hits the upper receiver, insert your barrel, slide the other piece with wrench flats on, torque the barrel retainer "nut" while not losing your gas tube alignment, install gas block, hand guard, etc.  Click the link below to see a picture of what you're missing.
View Quote
So I'm missing a piece. Thanks, Okak.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Also make sure when assembling it, use a appropriate size drill bit shank through the big part of the barrel nut and into the gas port to keep it from rotating. Then tighten and torque the smaller lock nut.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also make sure when assembling it, use a appropriate size drill bit shank through the big part of the barrel nut and into the gas port to keep it from rotating. Then tighten and torque the smaller lock nut.
View Quote
Thanks for the drill bit tip.

I talked to Seekins this morning. They are sending me a new barrel nut. Very good customer service...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top