Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 4:39:09 PM EDT
....And the chief dumbass would be ME. I've been slowly assembling the tools, the jig and the parts needed to build my first DIY AR15. A recent article in Firearm News steered me to buying a complete upper instead of buying individual parts and assembling them. Anyway, I will try to post a step-by-step thread here, complete with pics, so that other newbies can learn from my mistakes. And I'm sure I'll be making many.

For now, I can't decide whether I want to call my AR a FrankensteinGuntm or a Pirate Gun/Model A-Aargh15tm
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You know that it has already been done right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
INGREDIENTS LIST (I'm still new here so any mis-steps regarding listing manufacturers is not intended. I will edit/ revise as needed. Mfgr will be in bold. If I can confirm a particular mfgr as an AR15.com supporter I will also include a link)
TOOLS:
Jig Kit            -   Juggernaut Tactical Ultimate Jig   www.jtactical.com - note: they told me 3-4 weeks lead time and sure enough it shipped last Friday and arrived yesterday, exactly 4 wks
Tooling          -   Harbor Freight el cheapo drill bits and 1/4" mill bits
Drill               -  Sears Craftsman corded drill
Vise               -  Harbor Freight drill press vise

GUN PARTS:
80% Lower                                   -   Anderson Arms, forged black anodized and a Cerro forged in the white (bought from AR15.com supporter Right To Bear)
Upper Assembly                            -  Hardened Arms 16" 5.56 S/S bbl 1/7 twist Socom 10" Tac Quad Upper
BCG                                              - APOC Armory Black Nitride BCG
CH                                               -  Strike Industries Extended Latch CH, Red anodized
LPK                                              -  Anderson Arms
Stock Assembly                             -   Mil Spec from Dirty Bird
Ergonomic Grip                             -  Hogue
Flux Capacitor
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know that it has already been done right?
View Quote
Sure. But I reckon folks will get a good laugh out of my mistakes. Dude, you're dealing with a Dumb Swede here. That's a special class of dumbass.

Happy Friday,
A-Aargh15
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sure. But I reckon folks will get a good laugh out of my mistakes. Dude, you're dealing with a Dumb Swede here. That's a special class of dumbass.

Happy Friday,
A-Aargh15
View Quote
Throw in some Gerry rigging (aka German Engineering) and you will be good to go!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
In for flying pivot pin detents!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Throw in some Gerry rigging (aka German Engineering) and you will be good to go!
View Quote
scheisse! how did you know I'm part Kraut?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Good job.
Might as well sell the upper and go ahead and build one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't really get why this is in the BIY forum and not in AR Discussions 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't really get why this is in the BIY forum and not in AR Discussions 
View Quote
Please read 1st and 3rd posts in the thread. Pictures will be forthcoming....
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Looking to do a red anodized 80% lower but don't know if I want to go the home-anodizing route.

Can anyone recco sources for 80% lowers that offer different colors of anodized lowers?

Thanks,
A-Aargh15
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Engraving the lower...

Pirate Gun - I reckon "Parley" for SAFE and "Broadside" for FIRE

Frankenstein Gun - "Angry Villagers" for FIRE but I'm stumped on the Frankenstein Gun equivalent for SAFE.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe for safe "Egor"
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Engraving the lower...

Pirate Gun - I reckon "Parley" for SAFE and "Broadside" for FIRE

Frankenstein Gun - "Angry Villagers" for FIRE but I'm stumped on the Frankenstein Gun equivalent for SAFE.....
View Quote
"What Knockers"
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looking to do a red anodized 80% lower but don't know if I want to go the home-anodizing route.

Can anyone recco sources for 80% lowers that offer different colors of anodized lowers?

Thanks,
A-Aargh15
View Quote
Thunder Guns does lowers in various color anodizing

80% Lowers that are any color other than black are running $74.99 + shipping
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top