Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2017 12:07:54 AM EDT
Well it has been a long time coming but I am finally finishing my first AR Upper build and its 17 Rem upper and thought I'd show off what i've got so far. I have a Vltor Freedom 14" hand guard on its way to finish the upper and I'll be done. Any body who has built a 17 rem, I'd love to hear about it and know your thoughts.  

Upper
-Spikes Tactical Upper
-Midwest Industries low pro gas block
-CMMG rifle length chrome lined gas tube
-PSA premium Nitride BCG
-Colt factory A2 charging handle
-Shilen 1:10 twist 24" SS barrel in .17 rem
-Vltor Freedom 14"

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:49:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!

I have a 17-222 based on a Sako 461 that will destroy a full soda can, like shred it into little pieces.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I would shit can the A2 stock and put on a Magpul MOE rifle stock. Dump the A3 upper and get a dedicated precision upper like a Mega Arms SBU billet . A3 uppers flex to much with heavy long barrels.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would shit can the A2 stock and put on a Magpul MOE rifle stock. Dump the A3 upper and get a dedicated precision upper like a Mega Arms SBU billet . A3 uppers flex to much with heavy long barrels.
View Quote
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, this was a very budget minded build and I couldn't and didn't spend much more than $600 so I'll probably leave it as is for now. Have plenty of friends shooting .5 MOA with 24" heavy varmint barrels on A3 uppers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty cool man.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesting advice.  I have a varmint weight upper in 223 that is sub MOA and uses the same upper and stock.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice. Great for groundhogs and/or prairie dogs. Convenient that you can use a standard bolt, too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the expected velocity out of that?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's the expected velocity out of that?
View Quote
I bet with his 24" bbl and a lighter load he'll see OVER 4,000 feet per second. That little pill will zip through some stuff at those speeds. Really incredible...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top