Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2017 11:32:00 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Stopped off at the Home Depot to look for aeroshell grease but they didn't carry it. So knowing that aeroshell while often mentioned and recommended isn't required I picked up some white Lithium grease from Lucas oil. Is this g2g for all my anti seizeing needs? Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If you need anti seize, any auto parts store carries it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
LPS makes spray anti-seize.  Loctite makes stick type anti-seize.  Neither of these should be used on a barrel nut.

They work great on silencer shells.

Amazon can have Aeroshell to your door in two days.  I have always used whatever wheel bearing grease I have in the garage to assemble rifles.  None of them has had the front fall off. None have seized when I make a change.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you need anti seize, any auto parts store carries it.
View Quote
If this lithium grease turns out to not be a good choice I'll go check out what I can get there but it would be nice if this stuff is sufficient.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use the same purple moly grease that I use on my wheel bearings for my cars and trucks, it don't take much, but it is best that you find one without graphite in it, I pick mine up at Autozone, like I said, it does not take much.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just use the same purple moly grease that I use on my wheel bearings for my cars and trucks, it don't take much, but it is best that you find one without graphite in it, I pick mine up at Autozone, like I said, it does not take much.
View Quote
+1. WBG.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, just Moly EP...don't need to use Aeroshell.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Honda Pro Moly 60 is about as good as you can get, if you aren't buying Aeroshell.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, any of the previous four or five suggestions are just fine for your grease/anti-seize use.  Even the cheap, black SuperTech Moly EP-grease sold at Walmart works great but I doubt it has the higher-amounts of moly of the Premium greases (Mobil, Valvoline, Shell ect).  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I get mine from NAPA auto parts they sell Valvoline Moly EP grease in the 14oz. tube part# 633 or 1lb. tub part# 632 both were $4.69 I got the 1lb. tub just because its easier to use that way. Used it for years and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, I use white lithium grease from the tube and never had any issues.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up some EP moly grease used for bearings at Autozone, and have been satisfied.  It only takes a little, so you'll have enough left over for several builds, plus whatever uses you might have around the farm.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to ebay and look up item number 322346338651.  It's a little 5mL jar of Aeroshell for $3
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#13]
you can buy the whole 14oz tube of Aeroshell 33MS off of Amazon for $28.  Extreme Pressure Grease, MIL-21164D.  lifetime supply right there.  yuuuge.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the same nickel anti-seize that I use on the breech-plug of my Savage ML-II muzzleloader.  Nothing better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I like Red 'N' Tacky ...

Mostly because it looks cool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Well now I want some. Way to go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I just use regular anti seize on a barrel nut. Its been used on steel spark plugs threaded in to aluminum cylinder heads for a long time.  Regular wheel bearing grease will work as well.

This is what I use in my grease gun.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Never had any issues using generic white lithium grease on many upper and barrel swaps and installs
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used regular anti-seize on barrel nuts for years now. Nothing wrong with that. Your barrel nuts will not gall and stay permanently attached to the upper like some people claim. I've pulled barrel nuts off that I installed over five years ago using anti-seize and the nuts came off just like they should have.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 on the ebay Aeroshell.  For like $3 you'll have enough for probably a couple dozen builds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys are crazy, I just spit on that sumbitch and slap her together.

Seriously, I use whatever grease I have.  I have Aeroshell33 and don't see a difference.  Brownell's sells it, but they call it barrel assembly lube, or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any reason aside from a smilie face as to why you say not to use anti-seize? Several well known armorers on this site and others, as well as my own experience over several years and literally hundreds of AR's, says it's just fine. And so is any other grease you happen to have laying around. Yes, before you or anyone else asks, I do this for a living.

Simply put, I've never seen a barrel nut seized to the upper receiver because of the use of an anti-seize compound containing graphite. I have seen a few seized for various other reasons, though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Seriously, I use whatever grease I have.  I have Aeroshell33 and don't see a difference.  Brownell's sells it, but they call it barrel assembly lube, or something like that.
View Quote
Brownells has never sold Aeroshell MS33 grease but they do sell Sentry Solutions Hi-Slip grease re-branded as Action Lube Plus. Brownells also used to sell Barrel Assembly Paste that contained 65% Moly but they discontinued it and now sell a copper anti seize in it's place.

I was a user of the Brownells Barrel Assembly Paste and I wasn't to happy when they discontinued it. I ended up switching to TS-70 Moly Paste made by T.S. Moly which contains 70% Moly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#25]
People on here used to get their panties in a wad when someone mentioned grease other than 33ms (but those are probably the same types that still wear military issue underwear too).
Reality is there is no SERIOUS difference for a barrel nut. MS, white lithium, etc... whatever. All you're doing is trying to get a decent torque reading and make it easier to replace the barrel later if need be. Some will argue "well you don't get the proper torque reading unless you use the mil spec grease!", to which I say "umm, yeah... as if 30-80 ft/lbs is sooo exact, right?"
The other BS argument you'll hear is "well it will galvanize/rust if you don't use the proper grease!", to which I respond "umm, yeah... as if spark plugs do with aluminum heads?"
People have even just used synth oil without issue.
As usual, the "mil spec" way is not the ONLY way (nor always the BEST way). Any decent lube/grease should be fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#26]
^You're right.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Never understood all this bs either, coming from a mechanical background. They are simple parts. I've used moly, lubriplate, grease, oil, whatever, as long as it's not dry.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Laughed my ass off.

Rumor has it that AutoZone carries Aeroshell 33ms now. No idea if it is BS or not??
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Honda Pro Moly 60 is about as good as you can get, if you aren't buying Aeroshell.
View Quote
That's what I use since I work at an Acura dealer and always have some on hand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Supertech moly grease...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Just don't use the cheapest gunk you can find.  Using a lithium-based synthetic grease with molybdenum disulfide (moly) will help maintain the grease properties that matter: viscosity and load distribution.

I've done a lot of research on this, and I used to be one of the "if it ain't MIL-G 21164 grease, don't use it!" folks.  It turns out that most people are wrong about what the grease is supposed to do in the first place.  It's essentially an assembly lubricant, NOT an anti seize compound.  The barrel nut isn't tightened to "30-80 foot-pounds torque" for giggles, and it's not because it might come loose - the gas tube keeps that from being a really big issue.  The specified amount of torque applies a clamping force between the upper and the barrel that holds the barrel rigidly in place.  Barrel nut grease ensures that the force is applied evenly through the upper's threads.

Using crappy, cheap-@$$ Wal-Mart special wheel bearing grease will probably work.  But why not use a higher quality grease that is better suited for the real job of barrel nut grease?

Or how about something like Dow Molykote G-N Assembly Paste?  It's less than $10 for a 2+ oz tube that will last you a long time.  Or you could ask one of us old curmudgeons for a little help - I've noticed several instances of folks just sending someone a big old glob of AeroShell 33MS to help them get on with their builds.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top