Posted: 3/27/2017 11:48:04 AM EDT
Build question...
1st AR-15: Colt LE6920
Work gun
2nd AR-15: Daniel Defense DDM4 V7
Fun gun
3rd AR-15: Building
Coyote gun
Spike's Tactical The Jack lower. Spike's Tactical billet upper.
Looking at a Ballistic Advantage 20" wylde DMR barrel.
I do want to use a hybrid suppressor/brake and the BA DMR seems like a good choice.

Am I crazy? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't look like a bad barrel, but I personally don't have any experience within them. Curious as to how they cut the land n grooves. Based on price I'm going to go with button rifling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't look like a bad barrel, but I personally don't have any experience within them. Curious as to how they cut the land n grooves. Based on price I'm going to go with button rifling.
View Quote
Button rifling is not necessarily an indication of accuracy concerns.  Many precision, custom barrel makers of national competition level use pull button rifling.  It's the care and attention, the quality of the equipment, the skill of the barrel maker and tiny details in the process that make a difference.

My almost $500 Lilja M4 barrel is custom made to match specs, shoots .5 MOA or better, if I don't screw it up, and is pull button rifled and hand lapped.  Lilja's concentricity (straightness of the bore and the rifling is within .0002" of absolutely straight across the entire length of the barrel.

Yes, the barrel in question is probably button rifled, but that does not answer the question about accuracy.  There are way too many other variables involved.  Rifling method (hammer forged, versus button rilfed versus single point cut, for instance) is really not one of them.

I don't have any experience with BA barrels, either.  It may shoot well or not. But, I'd not criticize it just on the basis of button rifling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the 20" SS DMR
This one
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your replies folks.
ms556 - I appreciate your sentiment.
uplandgunner - the barrel you linked is the barrel I have been looking at :)
Tony@BA - thanks for the article. I have read other similar ones and that is what made me look at BA.

I'm looking to build a predictor/varmint gun but I don't want an unthreaded, match crowned barrel. I won't be reaching out for long range groundhogs. Coyotes, bobcats, and foxes will be targeted at or under 200 yards and the target crown won't make as big a difference for me as the advantage of a hybrid flash sup/break will.

...so I am seeking validation for using the DMR barrel for a predator/varmint application.

Tony@BA when do you expect the 20" Wylde 1:8 twist SS barrel to be in stock?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Tony@BA
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top