Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2017 11:26:08 PM EDT
I'm building a workbench in the garage and am looking for a decent bench vise.

Local estate sales haven't turned up anything.

Local ACE Hardware has a Craftsmen 4" vise for around $55.  

Hazard Fraught Tools is in town but skeptical of quality.

Yost? Irwin?

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought my 6" vise at lowes and paid $75.00 for it and it is a damn heavy duty vise, have used it for much more than building guns!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yost? Irwin?

Any ideas?
View Quote
I bought my 5"  Bessey from HD.  It was priced $79 with my 10% military discount lowered it a little more. It's been a great vise so far.  From my 5.56 builds to securing the receiver blocks for my LR-308. It works well. I broke my previous vise, a cheaper 6" version.  So I'd be careful getting too budget minded. Find one that has some positive reviews from real usage.  5-6" is minimum jaw opening as I mentioned some time you may need to user an upper receiver block which takes that 5-6" range.  I'm definitely happy with my vise.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have this one here. > Link.

It's perfect for working on ARs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I paid $25 for my harbor freight and it works just fine! For ar's its perfect
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have this one here. > Link.

It's perfect for working on ARs.
View Quote
$569.00 for a vise? Are you serious?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#6]
That Wilton may not fit your price range, but it's a lifetime vise.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

$569.00 for a vise? Are you serious?
View Quote
Dead serious... That's the most affordable Bullet Machinist Vise they offer that gets you up to an appropriate jaw size for working on ARs. Though the next size up is only about $100.00 more.

If you need a larger jaw size than 4 1/2 it starts to get really expensive.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That Wilton may not fit your price range, but it's a lifetime vise.
View Quote
Yep.

I suspect my Wilton Vise will live on much longer than me too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The ones at harbor freight will do the job.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Current Craftsman vises, like Harbor Freight, are Chinese.  They tend to have casting voids and rough threads on the center shaft.  They don't hold up to serious work.  Might be ok for AR assembly, though.  But, you need a strong vise for serious barrel work.

Old Craftsman vises, when made in the USA, are every bit as good as Wiltons.

Look for garage sales, local "penny pincher" magazines and such.  You can pick up a real US made Craftsman - heavy-duty 5" or even 6" vise for well under $100, sometimes under $50.  I paid less than $50 for this one, which dates back to the '60s, and have used it hard.  The magnetic soft jaw inserts are Wilton, and are very useful.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree, if you are going to buy a vise, make sure and get a set of soft jaws that fit it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife got me this one for Christmas and I love it.  Very versatile as well, as it comes with a mount you can use to put it on your workbench - and it's removable if you want the space.  Nice that it's portable and you can use it on your truck hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HG4QM4Q?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Yost vises are nice, particularly the 750di, made from ductile iron, and the fsv series, which is made from forged steel. Both of these will be much stronger than the avg. cast iron Chinese vise. They should last a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBL62HQ?tag=vglnk-c102-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015Z8LMR6?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Will do anything AR related and more
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep.

I suspect my Wilton Vise will live on much longer than me too.
View Quote
I've always thought I would be passing my firearms along to my son, but never thought to include a bench vise.  Is something like this more for guys who work on bolt guns? Barrels etc?  That just seems like. a lot of $$$ for something I really only use for a build. I see that bench vise and I think "new Noveke barrel" lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#15]
If you're really using a vise, a good one would probably be worth it.  

If you're building ARs, it would be stupid to spend more than harbor freight.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've always thought I would be passing my firearms along to my son, but never thought to include a bench vise.  Is something like this more for guys who work on bolt guns? Barrels etc?  That just seems like. a lot of $ for something I really only use for a build. I see that bench vise and I think "new Noveke barrel" lol
View Quote
This is the Vise that I had before but under the Colombian brand name. > Link.

It worked fine for most AR related projects but it could not hold the Reaction Rod secure enough to prevent it from moving around. Also, the jaws were to narrow and didn't offer enough support for clamping the lower receiver when installing receiver extensions... While torquing on the receiver extension the lower would want to twist out of the protective rubber padded Vise jaw caps.

I have no such problems with this new Wilton Vise.

I would guess it really all depends on how serious you are about assembling ARs, when installing receiver extensions I use the correct torque requirements and I really need a Vise that can hold it all together, most guys incorrectly clamp the lower in the Vise using a mag well Vise block and just barely go past hand tight when installing receiver extensions/castle nuts.

I have thousands of dollars invested in tools just for assembling ARs though, so the price of this Wilton Vise is really just a drop in the bucket for me.

I'm off to go buy a Snap-On inch pound torque wrench I guess. Because it will look good sitting next to my Snap-On foot pound torque wrench and my CDI inch pound torque screwdriver.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yost? Irwin?

Any ideas?
View Quote

Lowes has a good 4 1/2" vise perfect for rifle work,  $30
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got the Tractor Supply version of that vise.  It's great, and probably made in the same Chinese factory.
View Quote
There is a youtube review of some copies of the Wilton hitch mount vise I have, comparing them to the Wilton and I was tempted to get one of the less expensive copies...  until I saw that video.

Can't speak to the copies, but the Wilton one I got was worth every penny.  I really like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
i got a harbor freight 4" vise.

i use it to hold things, my lower, upper, chainsaws, trimmers, blades, etc.

im not beating on it as a welder would, or auto mechanic would.

its a third hand. not a anvil.

if i was using it hard and beating on it, welding on it, etc, i wouldnt have gotten it, i would have spend good money on a strong vise to take the beating.

now im going to say im not affraid to to give it a whack, or weld on it if i had to, and if it broke id buy a strong one, but until then, its not a anvil. its a third hand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Get at least 4" wide jaws that open at least 4".  I have a Wilton Model 11104 I got from Lowes for about $40 on sale that meets that criteria.  If I had it to do over, I'd spend more and get a wider, longer "throat depth" (jaw opening) vise, because I've run into limitations with my 4" vise, though they're not enormous limitations.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#22]
If you want USA made, the Yost 203  is a lovely choice $270

Amazon - Yost 203
Yost jaw rubber pads
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I paid $25 for my harbor freight and it works just fine! For ar's its perfect
View Quote
I bought a big one at HF and like it for building ARs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I paid about $30 for my 4" vice from home depot. Plenty sturdy for wrenching a barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Current Craftsman vises, like Harbor Freight, are Chinese.  They tend to have casting voids and rough threads on the center shaft.  They don't hold up to serious work.  Might be ok for AR assembly, though.  But, you need a strong vise for serious barrel work.

Old Craftsman vises, when made in the USA, are every bit as good as Wiltons.

Look for garage sales, local "penny pincher" magazines and such.  You can pick up a real US made Craftsman - heavy-duty 5" or even 6" vise for well under $100, sometimes under $50.  I paid less than $50 for this one, which dates back to the '60s, and have used it hard.  The magnetic soft jaw inserts are Wilton, and are very useful.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/A6F9EC64-00BB-4120-8374-74CD771CA19B_zpssrfog13o.jpg
View Quote
I have a huge Columbian vise that I used to use.  It is very old, was made in the US, weighs about 75lbs and is massive.  It was just over kill for what I was using it for which was to hold an upper or clamp a barrel.  I wanted an old US made 5in Craftsman but could not find one.  Assumed I needed a 5in vice for the opening.  I ended up finding a old US made 3.5in Craftsman for $35 on Craigslist.  It was like new and is very strong. I could easily crush an upper if I cranked down on the handle.  One of the nice things about the older vises is that they open wider than the newer vices because they were stronger and had longer arms.  I would love a quality Wilton but they are way to expensive when my Craftsman works just as good for working on my AR's and I will be able to pass it down to my son as well.  I bought a newer Craftsman 5in vise two years ago and it was a piece of crap.  The newer china/ import vises are mostly crap.  The jaws do not line up evenly, they will crack when you crank down on them and are usually loose and move when using them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Harbor freight used to be less than 2 miles from my house (before the divorce) I had their 4 inch vise on my work bench. Never had a issue. I have a drag car, classic car, gun builds and lawn mower fixes on it. Never had a issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Great that you are working on AR's, but as your skills progress you are going to tackle more complex projects.
I mention only to say that there is no single vise that you need: you just need your first vise.

I'd go with a a 4 to 6 inch one, and I'd look for one locally on Craig's list, garage sales, or Harbor Freight.
The next vise you'll need is a small swiveling one; go with eBay on that one.

You can find some really nice vises at garage sales sometimes, it's just hit or miss. The more used quality tools you buy, the more you'll try to buy. It's exactly like guns: you only need one more to have all that you'll ever need.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got a cheap wilton, but I'd recommend checking craigslist.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:05:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Keep an Eye out on craigslist.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Harbor Freight 4" vice that has been going strong for 4 or 5 years now. Not top shelf but is hasn't given me any problems.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I've bought both of mine off ebay.  If you're willing to wait for the right time and jump ebay might work for you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yost? Irwin?

Any ideas?
View Quote

I believe I have the craftsmen like you saw at Ace. I paid about $50 for it. It's worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a Yost 460 off Amazon of all places. It's not anymore but it on sale and on prime, shipped to my door for $160, $110 out of pocket after I used a gift card. Might not be a forever vise but it's definitely a well built.

And some of y'all are right, you don't need a 6" vise to assemble ARs but if you work on anything else, they're especially handy. As for price in general, most vises are mechanic's vises, not built to exact tolerances, theyre built to hold stuff while it's welded or beat on or otherwise worked on. Machinist vises are the vises that seem to just slide as you turn the handle. They're built so that you can hold pieces and measure the tenth thousandth. But you pay a premium for that. For my purposes and most people, a mechanic's vise is fine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And some of y'all are right, you don't need a 6" vise to assemble ARs but if you work on anything else, they're especially handy. As for price in general, most vises are mechanic's vises, not built to exact tolerances, theyre built to hold stuff while it's welded or beat on or otherwise worked on. Machinist vises are the vises that seem to just slide as you turn the handle. They're built so that you can hold pieces and measure the tenth thousandth. But you pay a premium for that. For my purposes and most people, a mechanic's vise is fine.
View Quote
Great points.  A machinist's vise is great for precision, but with the kind of stuff I put my vise through, I want a mechanic's vise.  There's nothing particularly "precision oriented" in assembling an AR, just as long as the vise holds tight.  In particular, holding everything steady while a barrel nut is installed requires muscle and heft, not precision.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, here's a USA made Yost 865-DI vise with a lifetime warranty. $185 at Amazon right now. I've seen it there for full price($460), so I reckon there's a sale happening.

Features:

- Made in USA
- Lifetime warranty
- 6.5" jaws with 4" throat depth
- 3.5" pipe capacity
- Dual anvil
- Ductile iron
- Reversible
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:31:15 PM EDT
[#37]
4 in. Swivel Vise with Anvil $39

Use one of their 25% off coupons and you're $30 and tax.  I've used the hell out of mine the last 5 years and it's still works great.  I had it mounted to a wooden bench up until I moved last month or two ago.  Didn't have the room at the new place for a bench so I mounted it to my toolbox last week.

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP, here's a USA made Yost 865-DI vise with a lifetime warranty. $185 at Amazon right now. I've seen it there for full price($460), so I reckon there's a sale happening.

Features:

- Made in USA
- Lifetime warranty
- 6.5" jaws with 4" throat depth
- 3.5" pipe capacity
- Dual anvil
- Ductile iron
- Reversible
View Quote
That is a killer deal. Probably the cheapest new USA vise you can get at this point.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top