Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2017 6:53:47 PM EDT
I want to get a lower anodized and looked to send it to US Anodizing.  Unfortunately they're not taking new work at present.  Does anyone have a recommendation for another company?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try ADCO. I think they do anodizing and are very active in their industry forum here on ARFcom. If they don't do it, I am sure they could direct you in the right direction. Hope this gets you some info to start with. Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
As an alternative, you could do an alodine bath.  Used extensively in aerospace, it adds extra corrosion protection to the bare surface as a prep for painting.  You simply buy a gallon of the stuff, put it into a bucket or pan and dip the part in it, using a 1" paint brush to work it in.  Then a cold water rinse and dry.  Turns most series (incl 6061, 7075) aluminum into a golden color.   Good base if you plan on coating it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting....I've never heard of this before.  In looking it up, it could be an option.  I'm going to dig into it further.

Thanks

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As an alternative, you could do an alodine bath.  Used extensively in aerospace, it adds extra corrosion protection to the bare surface as a prep for painting.  You simply buy a gallon of the stuff, put it into a bucket or pan and dip the part in it, using a 1" paint brush to work it in.  Then a cold water rinse and dry.  Turns most series (incl 6061, 7075) aluminum into a golden color.   Good base if you plan on coating it anyway.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Might contact Silvex in Maine or Apex anodizing, just a couple names I have sourced for the job. I haven't reached out to contact these companies as I am still finishing a couple more 80% receivers. Once finished I will in the same position you are, I will need to get 10 lowers coated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're interested in alodine supplies, try any good aircraft building and maintenance supply, like Aircraft Spruce (aircraftspruce.com).  Look under metal prep supplies.  It's really butt-simple, even an old jarhead like me can do it.  Your biggest concern is proper disposal of the stuff after use.  If you can find an auto parts store that does used oil disposal n such you should be GTG.  It is re-usuable but depends on if you want it laying around or not.

Basically, you just dump a bit in a container, then put the part(s) down in there.  Use a 1" paint brush to "paint" the alodine on, so it soaks in good and even.  Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.  Then you do a fresh water rinse, and blow dry.  The parts are now ready for your favorite coating.  The beauty of this system is you don't need any expensive chemicals, heating to any certain temp, adding current, etc. to apply.  So it can be done easily in a home workshop.  (Just make sure and wear rubber gloves-that shit does burn!)

We did this kind of metal prep all the time when I worked in the aerospace industry.  Worked well as touch-up on small parts you are drilling/riveting together.  Works just fine on AR stuff as well.  Not as durable as anodizing, but so what.  I usually coat everything myself anyways, so no big deal.  A nice coating of KG Gunkote has worked just fine for me over the years, in lieu of anodizing (which got blasted off on the first re-furb cycle).   I know the purists will be cringing at this,  but IMHO, a good coat of KG or Cero coat will work just a good as anodizing/Parkerizing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to look at disposal options and see where that takes me.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're interested in alodine supplies, try any good aircraft building and maintenance supply, like Aircraft Spruce (aircraftspruce.com).  Look under metal prep supplies.  It's really butt-simple, even an old jarhead like me can do it.  Your biggest concern is proper disposal of the stuff after use.  If you can find an auto parts store that does used oil disposal n such you should be GTG.  It is re-usuable but depends on if you want it laying around or not.

Basically, you just dump a bit in a container, then put the part(s) down in there.  Use a 1" paint brush to "paint" the alodine on, so it soaks in good and even.  Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.  Then you do a fresh water rinse, and blow dry.  The parts are now ready for your favorite coating.  The beauty of this system is you don't need any expensive chemicals, heating to any certain temp, adding current, etc. to apply.  So it can be done easily in a home workshop.  (Just make sure and wear rubber gloves-that shit does burn!)

We did this kind of metal prep all the time when I worked in the aerospace industry.  Worked well as touch-up on small parts you are drilling/riveting together.  Works just fine on AR stuff as well.  Not as durable as anodizing, but so what.  I usually coat everything myself anyways, so no big deal.  A nice coating of KG Gunkote has worked just fine for me over the years, in lieu of anodizing (which got blasted off on the first re-furb cycle).   I know the purists will be cringing at this,  but IMHO, a good coat of KG or Cero coat will work just a good as anodizing/Parkerizing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm experimenting with self etching primer. So far seems tougher than the ceracote jobs I have had done.

Handles a nice coat of CLP very well too. I might try it as an only coat. Available in Olive green. Will post pics when my 80% i done.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top