Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2017 6:08:17 PM EDT
I will be assembling an upper soon and have read that you want to be between 30lbs and 80lbs not to exceed 80. My question is, do barrels seem to favor torque values in low, medium, or high torque range? Does it make any difference at all in accuracy? thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The range given allows you to get the barrel nut notch for the gas tube to line up with acceptable stiffness to the upper receiver and barrel assembly. No effect on accuracy, compared to other factors.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#2]
With so many variables affecting accuracy your barrel nut torque value is probably the least important. By that I mean unless you are going for extreme accuracy bech rest shooting you won't notice the effects.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep just torque to within the values. Squaring up the upper is more important.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I didnt think it would matter much but thought I would check before i assemble it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
i was going to post the same question about torque range. i'm finishing my fourth build today and the barrel nut timed a little past 30. i've done two builds previously with a usgi barrel nuts and they timed between 60 and 70. the other build was a nut that didn't have to be timed but the spec was 50.

dunno. being on the lower end just seems odd.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Being on the lower end is fine but not below. Over the upper end is where the problems begin.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a couple recent builds with surplus uppers that timed on the low end of the spec. Most times I am around 50-65, these were 35-43. I assume that it has to do with new virgin uppers vs uppers that have been assembled a few times?

All function fine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top