Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 4:57:44 PM EDT
My Aero Precision stripped lower is not lining up with my drop in triggers. I've tried two different drop in triggers and the hammer pin will fit, but the trigger pin will not.

Anyone had issues like this before? I've contacted Aero but have not heard back yet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Tried any other lowers?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tried any other lowers?
View Quote
Yes I have also tried my Anderson MFG lower. Both triggers were made by Rise Armament. They said they struggle to fit into Aero Precision lowers because Aero cuts their trigger area different than other manufacturers.

I'm returning the trigger and sending my lower back to Aero for an evaluation.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes I have also tried my Anderson MFG lower. Both triggers were made by Rise Armament. They said they struggle to fit into Aero Precision lowers because Aero cuts their trigger area different than other manufacturers.

I'm returning the trigger and sending my lower back to Aero for an evaluation.
View Quote
Did they fit in the Anderson lower?

My Aero lowers work fine with Velocity and CMC drop in triggers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Your lower is fine. Rise armament triggers won't fit a aero lower without filing on the aluminum trigger housing towards the front. It's the reason I didn't go with the rise trigger and instead went with the elftmann for my lightweight build. In the end I am glad I did, the elftmann trigger is my favorite single stage trigger.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My Aero Precision stripped lower is not lining up with my drop in triggers. I've tried two different drop in triggers and the hammer pin will fit, but the trigger pin will not.

Anyone had issues like this before? I've contacted Aero but have not heard back yet.
View Quote
I've had the same issue with some older production aero lowers I got back during the great gun sale of 2008, it's annoying for sure but I've only had the problem with those two older ones. I have a couple builders sets one in 5.56 and one in 7.62 and I've not had that issue with those. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That sure sounds like the Aero is not in spec!
View Quote
It has to do with the way Aero machines their trigger pockets at the front. It is not perfectly square. For some reason the only trigger that won't drop in is the rise armaments. You have to bevel the front of the trigger housing with a file to make them drop in. All other cassette triggers (POF, Velocity, CMC, Timey, Elftmann, ect ect) drop right in. So I would say it is more a rise armament issue than a aero issue.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have to disagree, Aero is the ONLY lower I've heard of they won't fit.

That makes it an Aero issue.
View Quote
Does it really matter who's fault it is? Really? Every other combination works, except those two. Why can't we just say that the two are incompatible and stop throwing blame around?

Losing faith in humanity.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your lower is fine. Rise armament triggers won't fit a aero lower without filing on the aluminum trigger housing towards the front. It's the reason I didn't go with the rise trigger and instead went with the elftmann for my lightweight build. In the end I am glad I did, the elftmann trigger is my favorite single stage trigger.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Am I rigt in assuming the AERO issue is not a problem with standard triggers (not in a cassette)?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Am I rigt in assuming the AERO issue is not a problem with standard triggers (not in a cassette)?
View Quote
The only trigger that does not drop in 100% is the rise armament triggers. All others drop in perfect. The only reason rise armament triggers don't drop in is their housing is a little larger at the front and aero lowers are beveled a bit at the front of the trigger pocket. It isn't a issue, the rise armament trigger is the only trigger that won't drop in a aero lower without a minute of filing a little on the trigger housing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have to disagree, Aero is the ONLY lower I've heard of they won't fit.

That makes it an Aero issue.
View Quote
Oh yeah, because Aero should machine their lowers to work with everyones stuff am I right?  FFS, as long as a standard milspec trigger fits in the lower, then its fine, and in spec.  Its hardly Aero's fault that Rise decided to make their trigger bigger than everyone elses, so technically Rise is out of spec, so this makes it a Rise issue.  Wanna know what Rise is going to say?  "File a hair off, and it will go right in"
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kinda of funny that the Rise RA-140 fits...

My Spikes Punisher lower
My CMMG lower
A friends Colt lower
And an 80% I just finished using a 5D Tactical Jig.

THINK! So ALL of these lowers are "out of spec" and only Aero is correct, or Rise designed their housing to meet the correct dimensions needed to fit AR lowers

So Colt, who invented the semi auto AR-15 isn't correct on their Lower but Aero is...

By next weekend I'll have tried it in an Anderson lower and maybe a few others.
View Quote
The point kaldor is making is that cassette triggers are not milspec. Milspec is a standard hammer and separate trigger held in the lower with two pins. It is milspec as long as milspec parts will work with it. The little variation at the front of the trigger pocket is negligible. Just like high and low shelf lowers. They are both considered "milspec" since both work with milspec parts. I am sure aero is following those dimensions. It is the area in front of that pocket dimension that is slightly different. There are no mesurments there. And rise trigger housings are probably a little longer than where that pocket dimension is. It's not a big deal. One trigger manufacturer doesn't work with a aero lower.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Timney does fit, as well as pof, velocity, and their housings are all similar.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The point kaldor is making is that cassette triggers are not milspec. Milspec is a standard hammer and separate trigger held in the lower with two pins. It is milspec as long as milspec parts will work with it. The little variation at the front of the trigger pocket is negligible. Just like high and low shelf lowers. They are both considered "milspec" since both work with milspec parts. I am sure aero is following those dimensions. It is the area in front of that pocket dimension that is slightly different. There are no mesurments there. And rise trigger housings are probably a little longer than where that pocket dimension is. It's not a big deal. One trigger manufacturer doesn't work with a aero lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Spikes Punisher lower
My CMMG lower
A friends Colt lower

THINK! So ALL of these lowers are "out of spec" and only Aero is correct, or Rise designed their housing to meet the correct dimensions needed to fit AR lowers

So Colt, who invented the semi auto AR-15 isn't correct on their Lower but Aero is...

Precisely...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I suspect that my Timney trigger wouldn't fit in an Aero lower either as the drop in cassette housing is real similar.

Neither are the semi auto trigger parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I suspect that my Timney trigger wouldn't fit in an Aero lower either as the drop in cassette housing is real similar.

Quoted:

The point kaldor is making is that cassette triggers are not milspec.
Neither are the semi auto trigger parts.
Yes, but a separate hammer and trigger certainly is mil-spec is it not?  This carries over to the AR-15 where mil-spec is used a little fast and loose in some cases depending on who or what point is being argued, just like this conversation.  The point Im making is that a cassette style trigger is about the furthest thing from mil-spec out there from a trigger standpoint.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My Spikes Punisher lower
My CMMG lower
A friends Colt lower

I suspect that Aero isn't cutting the correct radius as specified which will allow a semi auto Colt type trigger to be used but not a cassette type drop in.

Oh, BTW.

It's ILLEGAL to install a "standard milspec trigger" group. Mil-Spec means Military Specification, there are no military specifications for an AR-15 semi auto trigger group.
View Quote
Too bad your Spikes was very likely made by Aero, because it certainly wasnt made by Spikes.  Your CMMG was probably not made by CMMG.  Your friends Colt was probably made by Colt.  Your 80% doesnt matter because you can do what ever you want, making it anyway you want.  The reality of it is, I think you have an axe to grind to grind about Aero, and you use this forum to do it because your particular, not even close to mil spec, trigger cassette doesnt fit by a couple thou.  Not to mention, you could have bought Aero lowers in every one of those cases, for less money, and the quality in the end would have been just as good.  And actually Colt invented nothing, they bought the design (if memory serves), rode it hard, never improved anything, which is the reason they are dying a slow death and will die in obscurity wishing it was the good old days.  As far mil-spec trigger?  Please stop, as Im sure you understand that a 2 piece trigger, as in a separate hammer and trigger are far closer to mil-spec than any cassette will ever be.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

AND ACTUALLY Colt did invent the semi auto AR-15!

What Colt purchased was the rights to the FULL AUTO AR-15 from Fairchild Aircraft/ArmaLite, Colt modified the design to a semi auto configuration and brought it to the Civilian market.

And there is zero doubt that Colt machined out the lower that I tried, it was machined out before Colt was licensing other manufacturers to use their name.

And as to the comment I could have purchased an Aero cheaper....you have no idea what I paid for my Spike's lower. My L.E. Partner purchases Spike's lowers in lots of 200 at a time. I can pretty much assure you that what I paid was much less than an Aero.

I have over 10 CMMG lowers. Why? Because I know Jeff & John Overstreet and I was able to get lowers from them even during the period of Obummers first month in office.

And as to "an axe to grind on Aero....BULLSHIT!" If Aero used the CORRECT dimensions (radius) to cut the front of the fire control group pocket there wouldn't be an issue!

As far as I'm concerned, Aero builds a fine lower but they aren't using the original prints.

Enough said on this subject!
View Quote
Actually incorrect.  Armalite rifles were full auto and semi.  All Colt really did was take away the ability for the rifle to be full auto for the civilian version.  Hardly a game breaking development.

Good thing you guys are buying Spike's in bulk.  Keeping Aero Precision in the money either way.

Cool that you know people on the inside at CMMG.  Hell of an advantage for you.  I chose not to purchase anything during the stupid therefor Im actually out no extra money.

Instead of blaming it on Aero for taking one less tool change on an area that only effects less than 1% of all triggers sold, maybe Rise should just change their design a touch on the RA-140.  Just an idea.  Ill stick with my Geiselle's thanks, they work perfect.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread can be locked, got very off topic.

I returned the RA-140 trigger and am buying LaRue instead.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Requested lock, and no longer tech
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top