Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2017 11:38:21 PM EDT
I've been wanting to pick up a few lowers since 5D came out with their jig, looks fool proof.  

These popped up today in an email.  $40 for a "blem" lower.  Any reason not to get these?  They aren't anodized but once you cut the pocket something has to be done anyways.  

Do 80% lowers get much cheaper than this?  

https://www.righttobear.com/product-p/80raw-eng-blem.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah....TM has blems in stock for $29ea....
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

Link in case anyone else is interested.  Since I had no idea who TM was.  

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/blemished-80-ar-15-lower.html
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#3]
TM is good if they are in stock... which is not always frequent.

80% AR15 lowers are almost a dime a dozen now because so many people do it. I managed to get those 15 dollar lowers from Forsaken Tactical.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TM is good if they are in stock... which is not always frequent.

80% AR15 lowers are almost a dime a dozen now because so many people do it. I managed to get those 15 dollar lowers from Forsaken Tactical.
View Quote

Yup, I am still working on those $15 lowers a bunch of us got last year, now I also have 4 billets, and something like 9 uppers, my wife is about ready to divorce me!

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
maybe consider getting the ones that have the FIRE SAFE or bullet pictogram markings already engraved.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Which foundry produced the forging has very little to do with the quality of the lower. It is all about who did the machining. When you hear complaints regarding a lower (whether 80% or 100%) they always come back to machining errors not forging errors.

In other words, company A might turn that cerro forging into a work of art, while company B's machining might turn it into a problematic POS. I have not seen a problem on mil-spec receiver that could be traced back to which foundry actually hammered out the forging.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
maybe consider getting the ones that have the FIRE SAFE or bullet pictogram markings already engraved.
View Quote

Raw

Anodized

DS Arms offers top notch 80%ers in anodized and raw. Priced competitively and they have the pictogram markings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you shop around the variance in prices is ridiculous.

You can find forged 80%" Lowers as high as $140.00 or as cheap as below $40.00
View Quote
Bingo Folks, Max and Pursuit at the winners, price variance right now is ridiculous on lowers and uppers!

I have a lot of Anderson Receivers and have not had any problems with any of them, they work just fine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, some of the prices I saw were ridiculous.  I don't get why some 80% lowers are going for more than some regular, high quality forged lowers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Raw

Anodized

DS Arms offers top notch 80%ers in anodized and raw. Priced competitively and they have the pictogram markings.
View Quote
What's the reason for getting one with the markings for Fire/Safe on them?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Raw

Anodized

Personal preference
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I've bought both TM and Right to Bear Arms 80%'s and they are identical in every respect side by side, except I got the safety markings on the Right to Bear arms.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Just about finished a billet from Brownells. Good price, but hardest aluminum I have ever milled.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, some of the prices I saw were ridiculous.  I don't get why some 80% lowers are going for more than some regular, high quality forged lowers.
View Quote
Forged vs forged it purely comes down to marketing tactics and the whole "ghost gun" with no SN crowd loves them.  That and a sucker is born every minute. Anodized ones will on average be $10-15 more than raw. 

Billet has always cost more and you are paying extra for the look and because it's machined from a solid block by a CNC machine. 

Ive purchased over 50 different lowers from different sources. Forged ones are all the same, I feel quite confident in saying that. The billet ones obviously vary some but there is a "standard" billet style that is sold by many. It's the $50 one you can get from Daytona tactical. The cad file for it is open source, that's probably why you see that one sold by many different vendors. Frankly I wouldn't waste my money on a billet lower but YMMV. 
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top