Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2017 5:04:15 PM EDT
I wonder if it's just my luck or others have had the problem of not being able to align the compensator/brake without using shims? It seems that no matter what barrel or what compensator I use, it always seems to tighten up just past where it should line up making it impossible to go all the way around without torquing it way too much. Only way I can do it is to add shims. I know tightening, then loosen, and repeat until it lines up is the correct way but this way will not work when you need to go almost 360 to align it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Crush washers are you're friend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have to use shims, then use shims.  Problem solved.  

I've heard of problems with crush washers, but have not had any issues with them.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I am using a crush washer but as it is right now I am torqued down to about 40ftlbs and have about 180 more to go or should I worry about it and keep going? I guess I'll wait another week to finish these, need to order some shims.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am using a crush washer but as it is right now I am torqued down to about 40ftlbs and have about 180 more to go or should I worry about it and keep going? I guess I'll wait another week to finish these, need to order some shims.
View Quote
a crush washer will compress more than 360°. Don't be scared of it. Just twist it on around. It takes quite a bit of force to get them going. Once you start crushing them it gets a little easier. I wouldn't use a torque wrench. Just use a good wrench and do what needs to be done.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If you think the crush washer is applying to much force you can always purchase a few peel washers.  They are easier to crush but not as easy to remove.  As the name implies, you have to peel it off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you think the crush washer is applying to much force you can always purchase a few peel washers.  They are easier to crush but not as easy to remove.  As the name implies, you have to peel it off.
View Quote
I don't believe that's why they are called peel washers and they are not easier to crush.  They are used to time a break by peeling layers away so your muzzle device can be timed correctly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top