Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2017 3:05:31 PM EDT
It crossed my mind that an AR with all wood furniture may be a thing of beauty. Especially since I am having trouble getting my head down close enough to the stock to shoot comfortably. The comb and drop on a traditional stock makes a big difference when it comes to raising the barrel up closer to eye level while leaving the butt low enough to fit the shoulder comfortably.

The biggest question is "What do I do with the buffer spring group?"

It does not seem like it would curve down very well, and getting a pistol version seems weird if I am making it right back into a rifle...

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one but cannot post pictures because of not enough post count but everything fits together like an A2 stock, either carbine or rifle profile, 

I guess I do have enough, here it is

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16681832_10208630422066621_2403292161413581841_n.jpg?oh=be0752918f38b4fed5f56f16f66b459f&oe=592CE2EA
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I opted for the free floating rather than the carbine wood handguard 
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I think wood would look better with a slick side upper. Also gloss curly figured black walnut would be cool.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, black rifles deserve plastic.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Fightlite SCR w/ 1100 wood stock.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fightlite SCR w/ 1100 wood stock.
View Quote

Exactly.

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
OP what sights and optic setup are you currently using?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Of course, the ultimate wooden AR by Orion's Hammer:

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8035

Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I am building a A2 with presentation grade walnut
I have had the blank for around 20 years and got it when a older family member passed away and they had it for years before I got it so its nice and dried.

I am in talks with the stock maker on how I want the buttstock to be and the forend is going to be A1 style

I am going for a gloss finish on it and I am trying to decide on how to finish the metal, I am thinking a nice gloss black

The wood blank is just the right size for it as it is too small for a normal full stocked rifle
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  I am building a A2 with presentation grade walnut
I have had the blank for around 20 years and got it when a older family member passed away and they had it for years before I got it so its nice and dried.

I am in talks with the stock maker on how I want the buttstock to be and the forend is going to be A1 style

I am going for a gloss finish on it and I am trying to decide on how to finish the metal, I am thinking a nice gloss black

The wood blank is just the right size for it as it is too small for a normal full stocked rifle
View Quote

Very interested in who you're getting to drill the buffer tube hole.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Carbine handguard, Would be nice if they could make a FF'g wood handguard
View Quote

You could get a National Match Free Float Barrel Sleeve (drill some holes to reduce weight) and then mount the non-FF wood handguard on it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have a good suggestion for me?
I am using either a Tasco red dot or the S&W stock flip-up rear sight, and the factory A-2 front sight.
I borrowed an S&W from a friend, which had a simple scope, and I had the same issue. I was rubbing the buffer tube with my eye socket to get the sight picture.

I am considering mounting a scope on high-rise picatinny mounts, but would always like to be able to use factory iron sights.

If I did a wood stock, I would want to have as much covered as possible, with the A-2 sticking up out of the wood. Traditional Monte Carlo stock goes all the way out to the end of the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Run a low-profile gas block @ the carbine, mid-gas, or rifle locations, depending on bbl length.  Pin an A2 sight @ the muzzle.  Have a probable Bushmaster dissapator 16" bbl like that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You could get a National Match Free Float Barrel Sleeve (drill some holes to reduce weight) and then mount the non-FF would handguard on it.
View Quote
There's rifle length and I think WOA still makes midlength.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#16]
You have to relieve a lot of wood from the inside of the forend to make it fit around a free float tube.  I did this on a Rock River stock set and the wood in the bottom of the flutes is very thin, not more than 1/16 inch in the front section of the forend.  

I also did an AA fancy Konrad set on a .458 SOCOM.  It needed some wood removed also as well as quite a bit of Acra-Glass reinforcement around the gas block and front end. The problem in my case was I had to hide a midlength gas block under a wooden rifle length forend.  Obviously it is not free floated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty rifles.

How is the mid-gas working out in the .458"?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Since it has a 20" barrel, we could not go CAR length.  When new, it would not function with the fast powders like H110 so I had to use the slower Re#7.  The longer barrel got me the same velocities with Re#7 and 20" as I get with H110 and a 13" barrel.  After the rifle had 500-600 rounds through it, it started functioning just fine with the H110 loads, but the longer barrel did not give me an increase in velocity over the 13" barrel.  While the 20" is functioning with H110 now, IMO it is operating right on the edge.  

That is why I never recommend a midlength gas with the .458S.  On shorter barrels you lose velocity by having to use slower powders and with a longer barrel and slower powders, while you may regain the lost velocity, you do at the expense of a longer barrel and yet not gain any velocity if you can use faster powders once things smooth out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Given I'd taken your advice on my brother's Rock River upper, I was pretty shocked to find you had a mid-gas.  Nice to know your advice is from experience.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
disregard
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You have to relieve a lot of wood from the inside of the forend to make it fit around a free float tube.  I did this on a Rock River stock set and the wood in the bottom of the flutes is very thin, not more than 1/16 inch in the front section of the forend.  
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/BiggBore/All%20ARs/556-Woody-4-web.jpg

I also did an AA fancy Konrad set on a .458 SOCOM.  It needed some wood removed also as well as quite a bit of Acra-Glass reinforcement around the gas block and front end. The problem in my case was I had to hide a midlength gas block under a wooden rifle length forend.  Obviously it is not free floated.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/BiggBore/All%20ARs/458-woody-web-2.jpg
View Quote
Those are a couple beauties! 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I am using either a Tasco red dot or the S&W stock flip-up rear sight, and the factory A-2 front sight.
I borrowed an S&W from a friend, which had a simple scope, and I had the same issue. I was rubbing the buffer tube with my eye socket to get the sight picture.

I am considering mounting a scope on high-rise picatinny mounts, but would always like to be able to use factory iron sights.

If I did a wood stock, I would want to have as much covered as possible, with the A-2 sticking up out of the wood. Traditional Monte Carlo stock goes all the way out to the end of the barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may need a slightly higher mount for your red dot and you are definitely going to want a raised scope mount if you go with a scope. I have found that I have the upper portion of my cheek on the buttstock when shooting with irons and that may be something you have to get used to because with the stock buffer tube design you won't get the stock any lower unless you with with something along the lines of an Ares SCR lower.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is a source...
Brownells has some, but only laminate.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]
You need to raise the optic so the optic's center line is the same height as the iron sights. The solution is a quick detach optic mount and a back up iron sight.

I use a Burris P.E.P.R QD mount for a Nikon 2-7 scope and a Matech back up rear iron sight that fits behind the P.E.P.R. mount.

If the optic fails or I want to use irons, I just flip the latches on the P.E.P.R. mount, remove it and flip up the Matech rear iron sight.

You can also mount a red dot type sight which will "co-witness" with irons like the Vortex Strike Fire so you don't have to remove the red dot to use the irons.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Ironwood Designs in San Jose, CA formed this furniture.  I stained and finished it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ironwood Designs in San Jose, CA formed this furniture.  I stained and finished it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/306/P1010010-179851.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/306/P1010011-179852.JPG
View Quote
IMHO, that's beautiful.

I had been kicking over the idea of an A1-ish with wood furniture, this pushes it higher up my list of things I want to do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#27]
It did turn out pretty nice.  Carries the A0-A1 look across nicely with the triangle handguards.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top