Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2017 2:08:02 PM EDT
I'm starting my first build soon and I'm INTENDING for it to be a slow accumulation of parts.  I saw this ad on the Primary Arms site and I wanted to see what your thoughts on it are. Any and all advice is appreciated. I'm definitely new to the platform and to gun-building in general. Thanks!

http://www.primaryarms.com/Kit-FZBCG-AMBARREL?utm_source=home&utm_medium=promo_banner&utm_content=desktop&utm_campaign=Failzero_BCG_With_Anderson_Barrel
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Does not look like a bad buy, thanks for posting, I just ordered two of them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw that deal last night. I've heard good and bad things about FailZero, and I don't have a clue about Anderson quality. Seems like a decent price though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I almost pulled the trigger on that deal. I love fail zero BCG'S and run them in most my rifles. The barrel on the other hand is a 4140 phosphate not chrome lined basic cheap barrel. I have no use for the barrel since I already have a beater AR. It's a good deal for someone doing a budget build though! Prices just get cheaper and cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems like a good price and Primary Arms is a good company to deal with.  

I've never used Anderson barrels, but one thing to keep in mind is that this barrel is basic phosphated 4140 steel (vs 4150) and not chrome lined or nitrided which helps keep the cost down. Some may or may not have any issue with this.  Depending on your budget and use it may fit your needs just fine.  My first AR was chrome-lined 4140 and it is still going strong.

The BCG and barrel are the heart of the AR-15, but a nickel boron coated BCG isn't a "must have" to spend extra money for.  I would rather get a more basic BCG, made from quality materials, without exotic coatings, and put the money I saved toward improved barrel specs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to pass on this deal and wait for something else to come along. The lower quality barrel has me a bit worried. Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Ever since Anderson decided to shill on this site I swore that I'd never own one of their products, the poor quality doesn't help either.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Iv got 2 fail zero bcgs and love them....

Then i ordered a 3rd....

Had to send it back for a restake, because they didnt do it right the 1st time.

The BCG I got back was staked, but was uglier then what they sent the 1st time.

It was clearly "fixed" with a grinder.

I emailed them and called with no responce....

I wont be giving FailZero any more of my hard earned money.

It sits in the package in the corner

At this point, with there replys....
I will keep it for "show and tell"
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had great dealings with Primary Arms and think they are one of the best AR parts sellers out there. I usually check them first for most of my parts that I am looking for.

I have 2 Fail Zero BCGs in my rifles (1 from Primary) and have had no issues with them. They seem to be pretty good quality.

I don't really have any personal experience with Anderson, but I have heard good and bad reviews on their parts.
I think a lot of people don't like them because of their economy pricing and "it cant be good if its that cheap right? I paid more for my parts, so those must be junk!"
Although I would go with what the poster above said about the steel quality rating and expect it to be an entry level or economy barrel.

-Dane
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top