Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2017 2:06:56 AM EDT
I am building an AR pistol, and purchased a complete Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced upper receiver (and matching handguard). I also purchased the 10.5" barrel in .223 Wylde from Bear Creek Arsenal. The only issue is, I don't know how to attach the barrel to the receiver. I slide it into the barrel nut, and it's really loose. Can I not use a .223 Wylde barrel on a 5.56 upper? Any help would be greatly appreciated! This was the last step in my build.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as the barrel slides in completely to the upper receiver and the index pin is seated completely. You are gtg. The barrel nut will tighten everything up. Sounds like tolerance differences between barrel manufacturer in the extension and aero. I have used a lot of aero's product, and their tolerances are within the norm.

This is normal. Proceed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
All 7 of the Aero M4E1 uppers I have built, had slightly loose barrel to upper fitment.  My standard Aero uppers have a tight Barrel to upper fit.  They must open up the tolerances for the M4E1 uppers.  It has never seemed to cause an issue that I can tell.  All were tight and didn't move once the barrel nut was tightened.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Weird you guys have had "loose" fits with the M4E1's.  Are yours the black anodized ones or are they the cerakoted ones?  The cerakoted ones tend to be tighter than a gnats ass....or at least the ones I got ~1 yr ago are.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weird you guys have had "loose" fits with the M4E1's.  Are yours the black anodized ones or are they the cerakoted ones?  The cerakoted ones tend to be tighter than a gnats ass....or at least the ones I got ~1 yr ago are.  
View Quote

Cerakote does at a small mil thickness creating tighter tolerances.. anodizing adds the tolerances expected after they mill and prep the raw receivers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only issue is, I don't know how to attach the barrel to the receiver. I slide it into the barrel nut, and it's really loose.
View Quote
OP, I think you might not be understanding the order of how things go together? The barrel nut is supposed to be loose around the barrel, until you have torqued it onto the receiver with the barrel extension sandwiched between them

Here's a Brownell's unstructional video that should help: Installing the Delta Ring Assembly and the Barrel Into the Upper Receiver Jump to around 0:50 to skip over the delta ring instructions.
Alternatively, here is another video using a free float tube example: Installing Free Float Handguards with an Aftermarket Picatinny Rail Gas Block
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Standard black versions.  It's not like they are wobbly, they are just a little loose.  They drop right into the upper with no issues.  This has been with Ballistic Advantage, Faxon and Larue barrels.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I got it! The mistake was my own. As previously mentioned, I was being an idiot and putting the barrel in the barrel nut... I got it all sorted out now. Thanks for everyone's help!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Standard black versions.  It's not like they are wobbly, they are just a little loose.  They drop right into the upper with no issues.  This has been with Ballistic Advantage, Faxon and Larue barrels.
View Quote

Gotcha.  Yeah the cerakoted versions can be quite snug.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top