Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2017 9:45:47 PM EDT
I am planning on building a 6.5 Grendel AR15. This will be my first AR15 build. I will most likely change the stock as I can't justify spending more on the butt stock than any other item in my build. I have shot AR15s and do not like the standard mil spec stock.

Google Docs sheet
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Nitric:  I presume you picked the 6.5G for its long range capabilities, for targets or hunting.  Its advantages are adequate bullet weight and long range accuracy.  Its main constraint is its need for a longer barrel to gain the necessary velocity.  The 6.5G has a rather low expansion ratio.  The longest barrel that looks right to me in an AR-15 rifle is 22" with a "target crown".  With an 18" barrel, you will give up considerable velocity, compared to a 22" model.  Since you are not aiming for a light total weigh, selecting a heavy profile barrel will enhance accuracy.  

If you are instead interested in a military-type carbine, then IMO the 6.5G is a poor choice.  Instead, I suggest the 6.8 SPC cartridge, specifically designed for that purpose, with its rather high expansion ratio that delivers near-optimum velocity from a 16" barrel.  For example, my 6.8 military carbine weighs 6 lbs and delivers 110 grain bullets at 2600 fps.  good luck - CW
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the process of getting ramped up to build a 6.5 Grendel right now.  I've actually settled on the 18" barrel length.  I realize I'll get more performance out of the longer barrel, but don't want the extra length.  I have 2 friends that use 16" barrels for whitetail, and have not any problems with quick kills.  

I think your list looks reasonable, depending on exactly what you're trying to do.  If you're not concerned with portability, then certainly, go for a longer and heavier barrel.  The thing that I think is difficult on the Grendel stuff is that the components add up so quickly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nitric:  I presume you picked the 6.5G for its long range capabilities, for targets or hunting.  Its advantages are adequate bullet weight and long range accuracy.  Its main constraint is its need for a longer barrel to gain the necessary velocity.  The 6.5G has a rather low expansion ratio.  The longest barrel that looks right to me in an AR-15 rifle is 22" with a "target crown".  With an 18" barrel, you will give up considerable velocity, compared to a 22" model.  Since you are not aiming for a light total weigh, selecting a heavy profile barrel will enhance accuracy.  

If you are instead interested in a military-type carbine, then IMO the 6.5G is a poor choice.  Instead, I suggest the 6.8 SPC cartridge, specifically designed for that purpose, with its rather high expansion ratio that delivers near-optimum velocity from a 16" barrel.  For example, my 6.8 military carbine weighs 6 lbs and delivers 110 grain bullets at 2600 fps.  good luck - CW
View Quote

I appreciate your feedback. I have been reading up on the various AR15 calibers over the past two years. I am aware of the reduction in performance with the 18" inch barrel. Based on all of the information I have seen the 6.5 Grendel will out perform the .223 and provide everything I need from an 18" barrel. I do not plan to shoot past 400 yards.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top