Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2017 3:53:12 PM EDT
I got a Stoner 18" fluted 1:8 Wylde  for $100   What level of accuracy can I expect, fair /good / very good ?  I purposely left off awful and outstanding. Yeah, get what you pay for...I know.  So, do I have fair barrel or 18" tent peg?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
87th post, you won an all caps screaming title award.
ETA: Wrong forum, the answers below are legitimate.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Only real way to find out is to shoot it.

Assuming its constructed well it's probably fine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I have researched and experienced is that all in all they are great barrels. A guy I shoot with has one that is a couple years old and it has run flawless. With his handloads it runs under 1 moa usually off a bench at the place we shoot. Another guy bought one a few months ago and it kept malfunctioning. I had to drill the gas port open for it to reliably cycle . Accuracy doesn't group as well on his but still is around 1.5" on average. The finish and ramps on the barrel are very nice. I have thought about swapping a stoner fluted barrel in my budget spr rifle. But from my experience I wouldn't be gaining much if anything at all from the current barrel.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
1.25 MOA average. I'd still perform a "proper" break-in to reduce fouling, but expect to see 1-1.5 MOA at best.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1.25 MOA average. I'd still perform a "proper" break-in to reduce fouling, but expect to see 1-1.5 MOA at best.
View Quote
How do you arrive at this?  With what ammo?  

OP I have no idea how good what you got is, but the better the ammo, the better your potential with it.  This 1.25MOA is pretty ambitious without giving specifics and without know if the shooter is even capable of this.  

Buy good ammo, strap it into a caldwel lead sled, see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How do you arrive at this?  With what ammo?  Match grade ammo it likes, with respect to distance involved. My RRA NM (a mid tier barrel) is consistently 1.25 MOA, and impacts are within 0.25 MOA of my call, so I reckon without me, it matches the factory 0.75 MOA claim.

OP I have no idea how good what you got is, but the better the ammo, the better your potential with it.  This 1.25MOA is pretty ambitious without giving specifics and without know if the shooter is even capable of this. Given my above experience, a cheaper barrel should perform worse, so "without human error" it should be 1-1.5 MOA at best.

Buy good ammo, strap it into a caldwel lead sled, see what happens. Big sandbag in front of magwell, small sandbag underneath stock is mo betta. Good Natural Point of Aim, consistent grip, and trigger control are crucial.
View Quote

I'm not saying it'll be bad, but the thumb of You Get What You Pay For says it probably won't be great.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't shoot it to find out how accurate it is then....yes you wasted your $$$.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are looking for a sub MOA rifle, you wasted your money. (I might be wrong) You MIGHT be able to find a factory load that can shoot sub MOA, assuming you free float the barrel. If it is sub 2" with factory match ammo, consider it a win. Try black hills or magtech 77 gr. One of those 2 should be sub MOA with a decent barrel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you don't shoot it to find out how accurate it is then....yes you wasted your $$.
View Quote
This!

Even if the barrel sucks, the money is only wasted if you never try. Once you shoot it, then you know what you have, and and can decide for yourself if it was a "bang-for-buck" value and whether you can live with the results. That experience is worth $100 in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This!

Even if the barrel sucks, the money is only wasted if you never try. Once you shoot it, then you know what you have, and and can decide for yourself if it was a "bang-for-buck" value and whether you can live with the results. That experience is worth $100 in my opinion.
View Quote

Yes, I also think learning comes with some cost.  I'm a knuckle head that spends a reasonable amount just to learn and have the experience.  This board has the effect of giving you great information (Molon for example), but when there are conflicting opinions, nothing replaces direct experience.  It's helpful to the rest of us if you let us know what you have learned.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not saying it'll be bad, but the thumb of You Get What You Pay For says it probably won't be great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you arrive at this?  With what ammo?  Match grade ammo it likes, with respect to distance involved. My RRA NM (a mid tier barrel) is consistently 1.25 MOA, and impacts are within 0.25 MOA of my call, so I reckon without me, it matches the factory 0.75 MOA claim.

OP I have no idea how good what you got is, but the better the ammo, the better your potential with it.  This 1.25MOA is pretty ambitious without giving specifics and without know if the shooter is even capable of this. Given my above experience, a cheaper barrel should perform worse, so "without human error" it should be 1-1.5 MOA at best.

Buy good ammo, strap it into a caldwel lead sled, see what happens. Big sandbag in front of magwell, small sandbag underneath stock is mo betta. Good Natural Point of Aim, consistent grip, and trigger control are crucial.

I don't argue your points except for sandbags.  You strap a rifle into a Caldwell lead sled with Velcro strap or other appropriate material, there is almost no interference.  You get what the gun does. Bags require you to hold point of aim. 
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My 300AAC Blackout AR Stoner barrel shoots great, try it you may be surprised.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for the replies.  I will go ahead with the upper build.  I'll shoot it and If it's crap, I'll break it down and start over.  Oh, Kyuss, I hope my screaming cap title didn't hurt your ears.  And 'wrong forum' ??? You build guns without barrels??
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for the replies.  I will go ahead with the upper build.  I'll shoot it and If it's crap, I'll break it down and start over.  Oh, Kyuss, I hope my screaming cap title didn't hurt your ears.  And 'wrong forum' ??? You build guns without barrels??
View Quote

87 is "Arfcom's number". I think he was congratulating you on this milestone and "allowing" the all caps title, then realized he was in the wrong forum for that behavior which is common in General Discussion.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't argue your points except for sandbags.  You strap a rifle into a Caldwell lead sled with Velcro strap or other appropriate material, there is almost no interference.  You get what the gun does. Bags require you to hold point of aim. 
View Quote

The couple I tried weren't as solid as I would prefer. Reminds me of the guy who'd spend 3 minutes aiming, stand up, look at the target, and press the trigger. I watched the rig and could see it move 3mm left or right when he did.

However, I'm a weirdo who tests group size from the slung prone like German Salazar often did. Recoil and shot calls are more consistent.

If I had the money and maching ability...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top