Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 9:19:20 PM EDT
I am currently a college student and in my free time I wanted something to do so I thought I'd biuld one. After watching hours of youtube videos and reading threads I decided I wanted to use mostly Vltor parts. I was able to get a Vltor MUR Vulcan upper from their website at a reasonable price. Next I went with a Vltor complete lower and their 15" keymod rail. I decided to use a Faxon barrel and VG6 Gamma comp. When I was sighting it in I had trouble getting a tight group at 50 yards but figured it was user error and not the rifle since I hadn't shot rifles much. I noticed there was a fair about of play between the upper and lower and being OCD it annoyed me. After reading threads about the tolerances between the upper and lower I just decided to live with it and that nothing was wrong. After a few trips to the gun store and feeling how tight a DPMS was I was a little more annoyed that I spent so much on all of the quality parts and there seemed to be a lot of play. I decided to email Vltor about how much was to much play. They told me that the Mil-spec tolerance for play between upper and lower is .011. I took the rifle to my local gun smith to see if they would be able to give me a answer. They told me they they didnt need to measure it because it rattled so much.After contacting Vltor again they wanted me to send off the whole rifle so they could take a look at it. After about 3 days they contacted me and told me the upper receiver was out of spec and would be replaced free of charge. Only downside is the upper is back ordered so no specific time on when I would get it back. They also told me the rail somehow was out of spec which I have no clue how that could happen but they would replace it as well. I have to say even though its been a pain with spending so much money on reputable parts and having to deal with the hassle of sending my first rifle back they have been very prompt on getting the problem fixed and taking care of me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
there's a bell curve to everything grown or manufactured, even the best have out of spec products.  feel good that you're getting Vltor to rebuild your diy AR with known good parts, and they will probably test fire it too for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Note to self: Avoid Vltor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Avoid a company that will stand behind it's product enough to take in a rifle that the customer assembled from parts and then admit that it was their fault and replace the part? Makes perfect sense!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

What??? Why?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Admirable they will make good, but, QC missing in action.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#6]
They have honestly been the best customer service I have had to deal with for any type of warranty. When I sent my rifle in I took off optic and the light and I thought I had just left the from grip on. The next day they sent me a detailed list out of all of their products on the rifle and every other manufacturers part down to a bcm qd mouth I overlooked so I would get everything back. I will be buying more of their products in the future.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Admirable they will make good, but, QC missing in action.
View Quote

If you think Vltor is the only company letting things like this slip, you are delusional. The AR market has been producing products at an absorbent rate for the last 8 years. Tolerances are likely to be over looked. Good companies will make good on their product. Others will blow you off. And in the next 4 years you will see those companies change their ways, or fail. Vltor has been a good company in the past and I don't see them changing.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
So just got the rifle back and I have to say there is almost zero play any more. They did go ahead and replace my lower which was odd but I'm not complaining. The interesting part of it was because it was a warranty the new lower didn't have to be sent to a FFL because of a ATF ruling.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top