Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2017 3:10:24 PM EDT
I thought I would start a thread for the guys that have finished a 80% lower

Here are my two, I did both in just over a hour with the 5D Tactical Jig.

And the jig I used

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's mine without a jig...

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice
 did you use a drill press?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes...one of those 30 year old mini drill presses that I received from an older lady I did some work for.

I got some bits from a friend who works at a place that does a lot of machining. So, it went really well considering I didn't use a jig.  Main thing I found out was to use sharp bits!  I started out wondering what the heck I got myself into until I switched my dull bits for good ones.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
OP how do you get Such a nice cut in that trigger pocket? Mine look like a rat chewed on it.

Eta pic because pic thread

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP how do you get Such a nice cut in that trigger pocket? Mine look like a rat chewed on it.

Eta pic because pic thread

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385216/signal-2017-02-21-140649-151886.JPG
View Quote
I used the 5D tactical jig, their design makes it so people like me who never used a router can get good to perfect results every
time.

My hands are too shaky to use a easy jig, but the 5D design takes much of the human factor out.

Check out the video, its what sold me on it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Two more lowers arrived today, time to get to work.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get a great cut on a lower, no matter who you purchase it from,  Just pay attention and do what the instructions say and you will get a good lower.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can get a great cut on a lower, no matter who you purchase it from,  Just pay attention and do what the instructions say and you will get a good lower.
View Quote
True, but the 5D jig makes it easier and takes much of the human factor out of the equation.

Just about everyone that has completed a lower has results as good or better than mine, compare that
with many of the other current router jigs on the market.

The other jigs are good, this one just makes it so armatures like myself can get a look equal to a Milling machine
at a greatly reduced cost.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
True, but the 5D jig makes it easier and takes much of the human factor out of the equation.

Just about everyone that has completed a lower has results as good or better than mine, compare that

The other jigs are good, this one just makes it so armatures like myself can get a look equal to a Milling machine
View Quote

Yup, winning a drag race is because you are driving a Ford and I won the Daytona 500 because I drove a Chevy
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
For you guys who are milling anodized lowers what do you guys recommend for finishing the interior fcg pocket

My god that was some bad auto correct lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For you guys who are milling anodized lowers what do you guys recommend for finding Islington the interior fcg pocket
View Quote
Birchwood Casey Aluminum black, I should have some in a few days and will post the results.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup, winning a drag race is because you are driving a Ford and I won the Daytona 500 because I drove a Chevy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or I crashed as I didn't have enough experience to make it past the first race or lap, and never raced again.

We want everyone to be able to race right? even better when a novice can get it right the first time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or I crashed as I didn't have enough experience to make it past the first race or lap, and never raced again.

We want everyone to be able to race right? even better when a novice can get it right the first time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finishing an 80% with a jig is more like visiting the Richard Petty Driving Experience, where attempting to build a zero% is actually entering a race as the driver.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#16]
The bottom one here is one of mine.  I think I've finished 4 or 5 so far.  Have about that many on the shelf untouched,

This is another. Glock mag 9mm AR.

My two little milling machines.  The one on the left is a 4 axis CNC with a big ass dremel thingy running the cutter.

The baby CNC works ok as long as I take light cuts.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm here to second the 5D Tactical Jig!  This is my first 80% project, but not my last...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]
This has got me seriously thinking about a 5D now. I only planned on doing 1 lower but if its a $200 jig im going to need to do many many lowers to justify that price!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This has got me seriously thinking about a 5D now. I only planned on doing 1 lower but if its a $200 jig im going to need to do many many lowers to justify that price!
View Quote

I only planned on doing 1 lower

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The one on the left is my first 80%er. I did a flat black cerakote on the upper and lower and it turned out super clean.

I used my sweet old bridgeport, but I will not attach photos of the inside because I am just getting into manual machining as a hobbyist..

It works just fine though, just not as pretty and shiny as some of you guys.

Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The one on the left is my first 80%er. I did a flat black cerakote on the upper and lower and it turned out super clean.

I used my sweet old bridgeport, but I will not attach photos of the inside because I am just getting into manual machining as a hobbyist..

It works just fine though, just not as pretty and shiny as some of you guys.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/davidwalrus/IMG_5944_zps2xlvb9jf.jpg
View Quote
Looks good, as long as it works who cares about looks
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow! Just did my first 5D Tactical jig lower (sry no pics right now). Its great and super easy. Worth every penny. First one came out sweet. I will get pics of it as soon as I can.

UPDATE:

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:03:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow! Just did my first 5D Tactical jig lower (sry no pics right now). Its great and super easy. Worth every penny. First one came out sweet. I will get pics of it as soon as I can.

UPDATE:
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0599_zpsydhob7n6.jpg
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r677/Walksouth/IMG_0598_zpsc7f9xvqu.jpg
View Quote
Nice 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks! I had to resist the urge to make another one today. But I will wait until the other lowers I have coming get here next week. That lower in the pic was one of the $32 sale lowers from Right To Bear. I think I may get 2 or 3 more before they run out and are no longer $32 each. I still have not got out to the range yet (also next week) to do some test firing, but all my bench tests indicate it will work just fine. Before the sweet 5D Tactical jig, I had been making Freedom15 lowers with the polymer mold kit (AR15Mold). While I did like them (and they work well), I wanted to also have a decent system for making metal lowers. This first one that I made is an AR Pistol (well all my AR lowers get built into AR Pistols first, then what ever else second). Sorry I don't have pics just yet. But I will let everyone know if I have any problems after I get it to the range.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top