Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2017 3:44:14 PM EDT
Which would you choose for a semi-precision target/hunting gun?  I say "semi-precision" because I know that there are higher quality match barrels out there (at higher prices).

Cost is about equal.  I like that the Faxon Gunner is only about 23 oz, where the BA is 41.  But the BA is 223 Wylde where the Faxon is 5.56.  I also like that the Faxon is 4150 with a QPQ/Nitride treatment, while the BA is 416 SS.

All these options have me
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 20" Gunner once that I realized once it came in, the barrel contour was probably too light for me to run my silencer on.  So I sold it, and bought the heavier contoured Faxon 18" rifle gas barrel for suppressed use.

The gentleman who bought that 20" Gunner from me has taken many coyotes with his gun that has a Vortex 4-12 Diamondback BDC up top.  He has been very happy with it.  He doesn't run a can though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Green Mountain Barrel makes an awfully good 18" SS barrel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the gunner rifle length gas?  I'd get it if it was, I know the SPR is. Lighter is better for hunting, at least for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered the Faxon Gunner. I hadn't thought about the thin profile and possible issues with a suppressor, but it will probably be un-suppressed most of the time. If suppressed, it would be my Rugged Razor, which is pretty light, but if it causes issues I'll look into that Green Mountain. I agree that weight is important, which is ultimately what turned me off of the BA.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Green Mountain Barrel makes an awfully good 18" SS barrel.
View Quote

Anyone looking for a good shooting barrel, Absolutely look into the Green Mountain barrels!  They usually shoot as good as or better than much more expensive barrels.

You've linked the wrong barrel, though.  The one below is their SPR barrel.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m49-223wylde-barrel/
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Nathan did a good discussion of 5.56 vs .223 vs Wylde barrels, and why Faxon was sticking with 5.56 for their branded barrels. I believe it was sometime last spring. Can't find it right now, and it's not on their web site. I thought it was a very good piece and helped me decide on going with a Gunner barrel over other brands. Would be nice to have that one stickied, or perhaps they should think about having it on their web site.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an 18" Gunner and love it! I originally built my rifle with a 16" Ss Polygonal barrel that was Wylde chamber. It was never as accurate as my GUNNER and it shot out fast. To be fair that company replaced that polygonal barrel and said something was wrong with it. But man I love the balance and weight difference with the new Faxon Gunner and that rifle gas system!

Eta, 2 bucks I took with my gunner this year.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The GUNNER was designed for suppressors. Don't let the skinny front turn you off!
View Quote

Good to hear. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have an 18" Gunner and love it! I originally built my rifle with a 16" Ss Polygonal barrel that was Wylde chamber. It was never as accurate as my GUNNER and it shot out fast. To be fair that company replaced that polygonal barrel and said something was wrong with it. But man I love the balance and weight difference with the new Faxon Gunner and that rifle gas system!

http://i68.tinypic.com/zs9x3.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/15cemiu.jpg
View Quote

Nice bucks! Is that an ALG rail? 15?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i68.tinypic.com/zs9x3.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/15cemiu.jpg

It is an ALG 13" rail. I probably would have gone 15" if I put the 18" barrel on originally.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Have not shot it yet, but purchased an 18", 223w, 416R, 1:8, 5R, rifle L gas, 1/2-28 threads & Melonite coated...on 2/16 and received at the house 2/18!
for $108.00, good selection, great Cust. Serv. Sanders Armory/ www.sandersarmoryusa.com
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#14]
This is what it finished as:

20" Gunner 15" ALG handguard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
GUNNER because that will be on my next build...so, yeah, you should get one, too!

Honestly, I can only speak of the Faxon barrels.  Nathan is great to chat with and I am pleased with my 14.5" barrel.  The GUNNER is lighter and, supposedly, it will feel even lighter given most of the weight is towards the receiver.

Bill
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top