Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 8:40:18 AM EDT
First build, I used a Bushmaster XM-15 lower. The gun works very well.  As I live in NYS I have to use the Thordsen stock when at home. It looks like a big checkmark but it actually works pretty well off the bench. When I go out of state for matches or just for shooting, I want to put the pistol grip and Magpul stock back on. (the gun balances better and reloads easier when moving)
I was looking to put a set screw behind the safety/selector detent spring (like the takedown pin spring) to make putting the pistol grip on easier.  Anyone ever make that change or know for a fact it won't work? The spring extends pretty far into the grip and would have to be shortened.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It can be done.  Sounds like you already know what you need to know to do it.  I don't know how far to shorten the spring.  I'd just start experimenting with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I was doing that on my new builds for a while.  Go slow tapping, use plenty of cutting oil and back the tap out often to clear out the cut.
That tap can break easily, I think it is a 4-40.  We had a thread running years ago on this .

Tapping rear detent
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback. With this issue I was mostly concerned that someone would say "I shortened the spring and now it doesn't work right".
This opening looks larger than the one for the takedown pin spring and will need a larger set screw.  Haven't done any measurements yet.
I was wondering, they must have had a reason for making the springs so long if the shorter ones will work and you would not have to put it together like trying to put the pin back in a grenade.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It probably "can" be done done, but it won't leave a lot of spring to compress once the set-screw is installed flush. You might run into issues with the safety selector being very stiff.

On the rear takedown spring, I usually cut a couple coils past the length of the set-screw. Here, you'd be cutting off not only the set-screw length, but also the excess that goes into the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback. With this issue I was mostly concerned that someone would say "I shortened the spring and now it doesn't work right".
This opening looks larger than the one for the takedown pin spring and will need a larger set screw.  Haven't done any measurements yet.
I was wondering, they must have had a reason for making the springs so long if the shorter ones will work and you would not have to put it together like trying to put the pin back in a grenade.
View Quote

SAFETY DETENT?

The hole for the safety detent is only about 3/8 inch deep, some of that is for the detent itself, some is required for the detent to move, and some will be taken up by the screw.  Your not going to have enough room for a spring.

Do a little measuring, see how much room you actually have.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

SAFETY DETENT?

The hole for the safety detent is only about 3/8 inch deep, some of that is for the detent itself, some is required for the detent to move, and some will be taken up by the screw.  Your not going to have enough room for a spring.

Do a little measuring, see how much room you actually have.
View Quote

That is what it looks like to me.  I haven't measured yet but it just looks like the hole is too shallow and It would shorten the spring too much.
I saw a thread here a while back where someone was using a small ball bearing as a detent.  
Any other ideas are welcome too?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
seems to me you might be able to thread it but use a hollow screw to hold the rest of the spring?
that way you get what you need as it is self contained.
worst case you have to drill out the pocket in the grip to fit over the screw/bolt.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazon Product
  • Use for any and all cutting operations on aluminum
  • Yields a beautiful micro-fine finish
  • Ozone-friendly and completely free of 1,1,1 trichloroethane

This is what you need to cut clean threads in Aluminum
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Safety detent, not take down detent. My bad.  
As you were.
I don't think there is enough room there like the takedown hole.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First build, I used a Bushmaster XM-15 lower. The gun works very well.  As I live in NYS I have to use the Thordsen stock when at home. It looks like a big checkmark but it actually works pretty well off the bench. When I go out of state for matches or just for shooting, I want to put the pistol grip and Magpul stock back on. (the gun balances better and reloads easier when moving)
I was looking to put a set screw behind the safety/selector detent spring (like the takedown pin spring) to make putting the pistol grip on easier.  Anyone ever make that change or know for a fact it won't work? The spring extends pretty far into the grip and would have to be shortened.
View Quote

'How to' post, in this same forum, just a little over a week ago. It's still on this same page.

Better Selector function (how to)
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

'How to' post, in this same forum, just a little over a week ago. It's still on this same page.

Better Selector function (how to)
View Quote

That is the post I saw but I thought it was much older.  Then I couldn't find it.  Have to give it a try on an old lower first.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#12]
The correct tap size for the hole is 8-32. I use a 3/16" length set screw (8-32).

A 1/8" ball bearing is used for the detent itself. I found that a 0.12 outside diameter steel compression spring is just the right size. The link posted above has the SKU number for that spring at McMaster-Carr.
You almost always have to clean up the hole for the ball bearing to move smoothly through the channel. A round file or a 1/8" drill bit will do it.

It's an easy and worthwhile modification. I like being able to change grips without worrying about losing parts, and I get a better feel on the selector movement.

G.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top