Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2017 8:38:54 AM EDT
Paladin Machine Shop Service, tp555(at)windstream.net, is now offering squaring the front of the AR-15 and .308 based receivers.  These are lathe turned on a mandrel to within .001 inch to help insure that your sights will zero near the midpoint of their adjustment range.  For $10 plus return shipping, actual shipping, no inflated BS S&H charges like some do, those wanting this done can get it done quickly, accurately, and inexpensively.  Also, HE is the man to enlarge your ejection ports if you are doing one of the fat cartridges like the .50 B, .450BM, or any of the .458 SOCOM based rounds.

If you don't want the service, don't get it, there is no need to turn this thread into anything other than a PSA for those that want this service without going to the expense of buying a tool that will not be used often or take the risk of lapping the front of the receiver themselves.

Risk, what risk?  Not too long ago I got lazy and while using my lapping tool in a drill press; I did not put on my thick leather welding gloves.  For some reason only known to Murphy, the upper seized on the lapping tool and the press ripped it from my hands.  It was nothing short of a minor miracle that I did not loose a finger or two or suffer some other lesser injury.  I got away with it once, lesson learned.  Odd thing was that when I stopped the press the upper slide right off the tool so I have no idea why it bound up, and yes it was well oiled.  

Since Paladin does all my wildcat work for me from turning blanks and re-profiling barrels, opening up brakes and flash suppressors, and enlarging ejection ports, he can now square up the front of my receivers.

And now the disclaimer, I have no connection with Paladin other than as a long time customer.  He is retired and does not have a web site so reach him at the above email address if interested.  If not interested, no need to contact him.  Isn't that easy?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you Big-Bore.

Will be useful for my 308 based work down the road
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Great timing. Been debating on buying a tool I plan to use once.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Sweet,, I have 12 lowers that need to become rifles one day
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking at the raw forgings of uppers, at some point the threads had to be machined and the inside bored out. Why wouldn't the face of the receiver be trued up when the threads are cut?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Emailed them and got a super quick reply. Shipping a couple off this Thursday for Paladin to square. This is gonna be cheaper than buying the tool and the results will be way more accurate.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking at the raw forgings of uppers, at some point the threads had to be machined and the inside bored out. Why wouldn't the face of the receiver be trued up when the threads are cut?
View Quote
It's a tool change, and extra time on the machine. Since a very low percentage of builders are going to care enough, this is a cost worth saving for the manufacturers. Consider that this retired fellow can do it for $10 in his hobby time, and imagine what someone who is actually trying to turn a profit would charge for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I am no expert but from some of the uppers I have seen I think much of the the out of squareness is often a result of uneven anodizing on the face of the threads.  They may machine it perfectly but when it is anodized the thickness is uneven and that causes the out of squareness.  When thomas finished one of my two uppers last week, he mentioned that while usually there are dips in the face of the upper, one of mine had a high spot that needed to be shaved down.  I cannot see how that could happen unless a 'drip' formed in the anodizing process and then solidified or the anodizing built up in one area more than on others.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Would love to shoot one of my better riles for accuracy, record the data, and then send the receiver in for this service.

That would be fun to analyze any changes in how the rifle shoots, with everything else staying the same.

Thanks for letting us know about this. That is an extremely reasonable price!!

G.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Reciently took advantage of their service and the 2 uppers were machined and on their way back the same day they arrived. The surfaces are as even is they can get. Had great email contact the few days they were in transit. Couldn't ask for a smoother buisness dealing really.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Brought this back up as it seems to be relevant again.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top