Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2017 12:21:00 AM EDT
I am in the process of building my first AR upper receiver, I have always bought complete but have now decided to build my next upper from scratch. I have all of the upper receiver components as of right now except the free float hand guard.

I would prefer to purchase a handguard that does not have to be timed/indexed, as I have heard it can be a pain to line up everything and I would prefer not to have a head ache on my first build.  

The build is going to be a 16" Mid-Length with a 12"-15" free float handguard-MLok preferred. So far I have seen Midwest Industries, ADM and BCM all have what I am looking for. Is there any other brands that I am missing out on?? I am also open to suggestion on other handguards, Thanks in advance for the advice!

Update: 04/11/17
Finally got the upper assembled, everything went pretty smooth. I was a bit concerned about the flash hider but it turned out to be pretty easy to time. Man those crush washers really do crush lol! Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone! I just need some sights and I'll take it to the range to test it out! Not to bad for my first build!!

Parts List for those that care:
-Aero Precision Upper
-Ballistic Advantage 16" Mid-Length Gov. Profile Barrel
-YHM gas block
-YHM Flash Hider
-Midwest Industries Gen3 12" Mlok Rail
-Spikes Gas Tube
-BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 Charging Handle
-PSA Bolt Carrier Group
-Holosun HS403gl
-Complete Spikes Lower I had from a previous build
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
My go-to now is the Aero Precision M4E1 series.  But if you've got small hands you may not like the girth of the rail.  I personally like them because they fit my hands well and if I wanted to stuff my F1 cans under the rail they'll fit.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Fortis/Rainier Switch the barrel nut does not need to be timed. They have M-Lok & KeyMod.

Fortis Switch Rails

Rainier Switch Rails

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Geissele
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Matrix Aerospace and they're cheap in a good way! Chandler Hardwoods carries them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Matrix Aerospace and they're cheap in a good way! Chandler Hardwoods carries them.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Diamondhead VRS-T doesn't require indexing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote

This Again

Faxon is another one and it comes in MLOK. It's a bit heavier though.

Just installed my SLR rail today. I'm impressed but they cost quite a bit.

Comes in mlok, keymod, or a hybrid tri rail up front with keymod/mlok

Pictures of the Matrix:

Personally the midwest industries rails weren't too bad of an install.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
SLR provides an enormous variety of styles and lengths.  Can't go wrong with SLR if you can afford them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Slr rifleworks
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Centurion cmr
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#11]
These are the ones I have installed.

SLR Rifleworks

BCM KMR Alpha

KAC URX II

KAC URX III
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
You can add REV arms to the list.  Lightweight, no indexing on the barrel nut.

Used one on a build last year, very nice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Geissele
View Quote

Agreed. The easiest and most rock solid rail I've ever installed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I love midwest industries and have the Gen 2 with are easy to index. But their Gen 3 do not require and indexing so that would be my suggestion to you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Cross Machine Tool. I believe the Seekins NOXs rail also. Not 100% sure about the Seekins but I will know tonight when I install it on the upper I'm building.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Timing is not that big a deal.  Pick a hand guard you like, lube the barrel nut, start with a torque wrench at 30lbs and then tighten with a breaker bar to get it timed right.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you all for the information!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Daniel Defense.  Not sure of the others, but definitely lite rails.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My go-to now is the Aero Precision M4E1 series.  But if you've got small hands you may not like the girth of the rail.  I personally like them because they fit my hands well and if I wanted to stuff my F1 cans under the rail they'll fit.  
View Quote

+1 on the Aero M4E1.

I am doing this exact same thing with two integrally suppressed rifles. 1.5" OD suppressor tubes fit well underneath the rails and no timing issues.I have gorilla hands so rail size is perfect for my hands although I do like how slim the BCM rails are.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted: Daniel Defense.  Not sure of the others, but definitely lite rails.
View Quote
The original modular float rail 9 and 12.

Like this:
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Midwest Industries Gen3. Got one of these on my rifle and it was easy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#23]
The Seekins NOXS does not require timing. It does however require a special crow foot wrench that hard to find.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Seekins NOXS does not require timing. It does however require a special crow foot wrench that hard to find.
View Quote

$11 1/2" drive crow's foot wrench off of Amazon and 5 minutes with a bench grinder will do the trick.

Forearms that don't require timing of the nut:
Geissele
Seekins NOXS
Noveske NSR, or copies
SMOS
Timber Creek outdoors
BCM KMR/A
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Geissele
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#26]
The MI Gen 3 is a nice rail and requires no indexing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The MI Gen 3 is a nice rail and requires no indexing.
View Quote

^^ agree. MI gen 3 is my preferred for ease of assembly/anti rotation feature/and value. The barrel nut is harder to deform versus the BCM KMR & aKMR, and it's much easier to get the rail seated/unseated on the nut by using a plastic pic/etc to slightly wedge between the ears of the loosened clamp, making alignment of picatinny rails extremely easy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Its pretty much down to the MI Gen3 Mlok rail or the Faxon Rail, I just found a nicely priced MI rail and may just pull the trigger on it. I'll post some pics when I am getting it together! Thank again everyone for the suggestions!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd suggest looking at the ALG Defense (Geissele subsidiary) EMR (Ergonomic Modular Rail) line.

https://algdefense.com/rails/an-introduction-to-our-ergonomic-modular-rails.html

The barrel nut installation is both bullet- and fool-proof, guaranteeing proper torque without the need for a torque wrench and automatically aligning the nut for the gas tube to pass through.  The nut is long with a close fit, providing a robust rail mounting.  And to top it off, they are not outrageously priced.

My last three builds have used EMR-3's (I have one recent build in which I recycled a Troy Alpha Rail, otherwise I would have purchase another EMR).
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]
If those aren't enough choices... you can pick up a lapping tool to square the receiver and then you can time any hand guard you want. Not hard with the right tool.

Lapping tool
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The original modular float rail 9 and 12.

Like this:
http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/daniel-defense-mfr-12-2.jpg
View Quote

Still my favorite.  Many of DD's rails use nuts that don't have the gas tube pass through, and are not indexed.

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I like the UTG Pro handguards. I have the keymod version and I'm impressed. Quality is great and its US made. They only work on standard upper receivers though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd suggest looking at the ALG Defense (Geissele subsidiary) EMR (Ergonomic Modular Rail) line.

https://algdefense.com/rails/an-introduction-to-our-ergonomic-modular-rails.html

The barrel nut installation is both bullet- and fool-proof, guaranteeing proper torque without the need for a torque wrench and automatically aligning the nut for the gas tube to pass through.  The nut is long with a close fit, providing a robust rail mounting.  And to top it off, they are not outrageously priced.

My last three builds have used EMR-3's (I have one recent build in which I recycled a Troy Alpha Rail, otherwise I would have purchase another EMR).
View Quote

+1.  Love my ALG rails.  Easy installation.  Easy and foolproof timing.  You will have to spend $5 on one of their wrenches but that's nothing
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#34]
ive got one of these going on my next build if it clears the piston gas block im using, no timing on this one, uses a 30mm or 1-3/16" wrench to fit the barrel nut, and it was 111$

https://www.cobratac.com/products/cobratac-ultra-quad-3-gun-series-free-float-hand-guard-system?sp_id=2795053&m=76945&utm_campaign=smartrmail_autocampaign_010317_76945&utm_medium=email&utm_source=smartrmail

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
ive got one of these going on my next build if it clears the piston gas block im using, no timing on this one, uses a 30mm or 1-3/16" wrench to fit the barrel nut, and it was 111$

https://www.cobratac.com/products/cobratac-ultra-quad-3-gun-series-free-float-hand-guard-system?sp_id=2795053&m=76945&utm_campaign=smartrmail_autocampaign_010317_76945&utm_medium=email&utm_source=smartrmail
View Quote

That's about what I paid for my 13" ALG EMR.  I wonder which one is higher quality? (Just kidding, the alg is)
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's about what I paid for my 13" ALG EMR.  I wonder which one is higher quality? (Just kidding, the alg is)
View Quote

those are nice but midway says 145$ and out of stock, AND they do need to be indexed to line up the rail mount holes
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

those are nice but midway says 145$ and out of stock, AND they do need to be indexed to line up the rail mount holes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do, but it's easy and doesn't require a torque wrench.

They mount really friggin solid.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ewww you paid $111 for a chinese rail? :/
I can't tell serious; I mean 10 to 20 bucks more could of got you a Faxon.

I'd try to return it tbh.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ewww you paid $111 for a chinese rail? :/
I can't tell serious; I mean 10 to 20 bucks more could of got you a Faxon.

I'd try to return it tbh.
View Quote

no biggie to me, I have a diamondhead VRS-T on one AR / an older Daniel defense M4 on another / a SLR on a in progress build / I kinda liked the partial smooth w/a bit of rails / oh, also a Apex gatorgrip on a 308
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Timing is not that big a deal.  Pick a hand guard you like, lube the barrel nut, start with a torque wrench at 30lbs and then tighten with a breaker bar to get it timed right.
View Quote
 Once upon a time, all handguards were the drop in type with a delta ring that need to be kept from turning.  So, the gas tube passed through both the barrel nut/delta ring, and the end cap near the gas block.  

Now, with the advent of free float handguards that have a very tight grip on the barrel nut, no need for interference with the gas tube.  In other words indexing and/or shims for FF handguards are an obsolete leftover, the sooner they are eliminated the better, IMO.  Cost aside, I consider BCM's KMR line to be the very best, with SLR's Solo line a close second.  The titanium barrel nut for my SLR ultralight handguard tightens with a simple 1-1/4" crescent wrench. - CW
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Second the UTG Pro.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#42]
+2 for Diamondhead! VRS-T is the most comfortable handguard I have . Very easy assembly too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Armalite

Unless something really novel comes out, I won't buy a handguard that requires me to index the barrel nut.  Huge pain in the ass.

Extra plus for the armalite is it doesn't require some funky wrench.  If you have a BIG adjustable, it will work.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am seeing pictures of handguards that have screws that go through the rail and thread into the barrel nut.

So even if you don't have to index around the gas tube, you still have to torque, un torque, shim, retorque.... etc.. to get the top of the handguard to line up with the receiver.

Some designs,  Armalite for sure, and I think the Geissele and BCM KMR, do not require you to do anything with the barrel nut but torque it to the proper spec.  There are anti-rotation tabs on the handguard, but it clamps down so snug that it can't move.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

$11 1/2" drive crow's foot wrench off of Amazon and 5 minutes with a bench grinder will do the trick.

Forearms that don't require timing of the nut:
Geissele
Seekins NOXS
Noveske NSR, or copies
SMOS
Timber Creek outdoors
BCM KMR/A
View Quote
The SMOS Arms and Noveske must be timed, actually.  Not that the barrel nut interferes with the gas block, but they must be timed and torqued correctly so the rail mounting holes line up correctly.  This is why Noveske has two threaded ends on their barrel nuts.

I usually use shims when doing those since I'm picky about my torque specs(I never go above 40 ft-lbs just based on preference and past experience) but once you do a few of them, they get a lot easier.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm really liking my SLR, also have 2 bcm's (1 Alfa, I reg)

SLR.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
JoeBobOutfitters also sells them although all they appear to stock are the keymod versions. (5% discount for mil/LEO-Fire-EMS/veterans they also have free shipping min. $90)
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I am loving the Strike Industries Mega Fins rails. They have a really good barrel nut design. Its a nut inside a nut and allows you to align the outer nuts gas tube port and then tighten the inner nut.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#49]
*edit* duplicate
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I have the Faxon Streamline and it does not need to be timed.  Very solid and well built for the cost.  Faxon produces good stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top