Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2017 9:22:16 PM EDT
These tubes come with either an aluminum or steel barrel nut. The aluminum ones appear to be approximately 1-1/4" on the flats. The steel ones measure somewhere between 1.263" to 1.264", or approximately 33mm. 

I can get a 1-1/2" crowfoot wrench pretty easily at an auto parts store. But to torque the steel barrel nut, there really isn't a reasonably priced solution, other than an adjustable crowfoot wrench. And the flats on the steel nuts are narrow, so wider wrenches won't fit.

I could use a regular adjustable wrench, but since I don't do barrel nuts more than once every couple of years or so, I don't have a "feel" for the proper torque range. 

What are you guys using to get the Guntec barrel nuts tight and timed right without exceeding 80 ft-lbs?

Guntec sells a wrench made to work with the aluminum version, but nothing for the steel version. I am considering just cutting, drilling, and filing a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum to make a crow foot, but I'd rather not have to spend a few hours doing that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Will a std barrel nut wrench fit.
I believe most contain a 1/2 socket reciever you can attach a torque wrench to.
Torque so the between tube is timed between 50-80 ft/lbs
Use a torque extention formula to determine the corrected torque setting when using an extention.
http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/calculator/torque_adapter_extension.htm
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will a std barrel nut wrench fit.
I believe most contain a 1/2 socket reciever you can attach a torque wrench to.
Torque so the between tube is timed between 50-80 ft/lbs
Use a torque extention formula to determine the corrected torque setting when using an extention.
http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/calculator/torque_adapter_extension.htm
View Quote

Thanks for the link to the calculator.

A regular armorer's wrench will not fit, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
i think i just used a big crescent wrench and got it to about what felt right for all the uppers i have built and then just snugged it a bit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I called guntec because I ordered one as well and installed it, they said between 30-40lbs of torque max. What I did it I figured how much it needs to turn with the old barrel nut and marked it using 30lbs then marked it at 40lbs. I marked a starting point on the upper so I can use it as a point of reference on the new barrel nut.  A crescent wrench was the only thing that fit so then I just toruqued it until it aligned the holes on the rail and was between or close to the 40lbs mark, I think it was close to the 40lbs. May not be the right way but its snugged up pretty good and my armores wrench didn't fit soo....
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I used a vice grip style Cresent wrench I bought from sears it's a actual crescent wrench with a lock so it us snug. It was narrow enough to fit between the flats. The barrel nut torque needs to be between 35-80 lb-ft. That's a big gap. I tightened it and loosened it a few times to season the threads so you will get a feel for it. Mine needed 1 shim to get to clock right. Give it a tighten and don't worry about it. I must say I have been impressed with the guntec rail. I have the mlok octagonal one and bought it off Amazon trying to make a purchase for a certain amount to get a rebate. I had a MI rail for the rifle but tried the guntec first. It's still on this build. It has been a great rail.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i think i just used a big crescent wrench and got it to about what felt right for all the uppers i have built and then just snugged it a bit.
View Quote

I think this is going to be how I end up doing it. I really wanted to get a proper torque on it but I guess it will have to be a guestimate. I might clamp my torque wrench to another vise and use it to get a feel for the settings.

Someone should make a crescent wrench with a torque handle. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, after puzzling over this for a bit I think I have a solution that will only require a cheap trip to the hardware store.

The supplied screws are too short and hanging on by a thread, but you get the idea. This will allow me to snap a torque wrench into the armorer's wrench and torque it to the desired values.

I just totally bypassed using the stupid wrench flats altogether. This will probably mar the threads of the screws, but it's better than guessing, or buying a 33mm crowfoot wrench from overseas.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, after puzzling over this for a bit I think I have a solution that will only require a cheap trip to the hardware store.

The supplied screws are too short and hanging on by a thread, but you get the idea. This will allow me to snap a torque wrench into the armorer's wrench and torque it to the desired values.

I just totally bypassed using the stupid wrench flats altogether. This will probably mar the threads of the screws, but it's better than guessing, or buying a 33mm crowfoot wrench from overseas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/Bloencustoms/2015/IMG_20170214_221717.jpg
View Quote

Genius.  You can always buy replacement screws at Ace.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Genius.  You can always buy replacement screws at Ace.
View Quote

Thanks! 

The screw threads turned out to be 10-32 in case anyone needs to know.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Installed mine tonight, used a regular crescent wrench and tightened it down pretty tight. Didn't need a shim and went right in, ill post a pic up tomorrow.

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like it mates up with the receiver pretty close.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#12]
It is up against the reciever with no gap, it's a DPMS LR-308 so when I looked at the mounting holes I knew the base was different shape and the color is a bit diff but as long as the rails mate and its one fluid rail I'm happy. Once thing I noticed, its SUPER LIGHT, I was impressed.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top