Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2017 11:59:50 AM EDT
Just finishing purchasing the final parts for a 14.5 inch build I am doing and wanted to get a quick check on if the combo of these parts will work or not.

Barrel is a 14.5 inch middy from BCM in the light weight profile. It will be pin and welded with a flash comp from Griffin Armament as the rifle may be used with my RECCE 5 when it clears.

I have ready that the BCM middy barrels are drilled to run 5.56 and may have issues with ammo such as tula and wolf due to lower pressure loadings. The recommendations for spring and buffer are normal spring weight and H buffer. With an already "restrictive" gas port, is there any need for an adjustable gas block such as the slr? I figure it would be set wide open and only closed down some when a surpressor is added?

I am used to building up with blue springco springs and a h2 buffer on my 10.5 and 11.5 SBR rifles, so just wanted to double check before I purchased some items.

Any other buffer systems like the silent capture spring or giesselle 42 spring set up that I should look at? Would like the rifle to function well and obviously be as soft recoiling as possible.

Thanks
Pat
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a factory built BCM BFH 14.5 middy with H2 buffer that's eaten everything I feed it over a few thousand rounds. Most of that has been Brown Bear 55 / 62gr
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just finishing purchasing the final parts for a 14.5 inch build I am doing and wanted to get a quick check on if the combo of these parts will work or not.

Barrel is a 14.5 inch middy from BCM in the light weight profile. It will be pin and welded with a flash comp from Griffin Armament as the rifle may be used with my RECCE 5 when it clears.

I have ready that the BCM middy barrels are drilled to run 5.56 and may have issues with ammo such as tula and wolf due to lower pressure loadings. The recommendations for spring and buffer are normal spring weight and H buffer. With an already "restrictive" gas port, is there any need for an adjustable gas block such as the slr? I figure it would be set wide open and only closed down some when a surpressor is added?

I am used to building up with blue springco springs and a h2 buffer on my 10.5 and 11.5 SBR rifles, so just wanted to double check before I purchased some items.

Any other buffer systems like the silent capture spring or giesselle 42 spring set up that I should look at? Would like the rifle to function well and obviously be as soft recoiling as possible.

Thanks
Pat
View Quote

As long as you avoid ammos similar to wolf or Tula steel case, you should be fine with a standard carbine spring an an H2 buffer suppressed or unsuppressed. An SLR adjustable gb will help if you are going to run suppressed 100% of the time. But if you take the can off, you will need to open it up. If you want to switch back and forth between unsuppressed and unsuppressed. Use a standard lo pro gas block, carbine spring, and h2 or h3 buffer depending on what ammor you use without the can. You should be able to put the can on and run it suppressed without malfunction. You will be slightly over gassed with the can. (Ejecting betweeen 1-2:30) without the can ejecting around 4:30-5. You will need to replace extractor(make sure you have the doughnut with the standard extractor spring and polymer core), gas rings and gas tube around every 5000 rounds. Replace standard buffer spring around 10000 rounds.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top