Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2017 9:16:00 AM EDT
Was a member here a long time back. Recently put an upper together with a 16" fluted Hbar and was a bit put off on the weight.  Ordered a 16" LW midlength bbl that is going on an old Colt non assist upper with a Trijicon reflex on a forward handle mount.  Will have a Magpul od hg, YHM flip up front front sight/ gas block with swivel.  Lower is a 20 year old Bushmaster with a Velocity trigger and Ace stock. Boonie Packer sling.  This will be my walk about and hunting rig.  The other heavy upper will wear a Trijicon Accu point 3-9x on an Aero Precision lw mount and be a range toy dmr.
Big brown is bringing the lw parts today so it should be up and running for the weekend.

Got interested in shooting the AR again when I noticed Walmart had 55 gr. Am Eagle for $6.30 a box ( bought 30 ).  Nice to see ammo prices and availability improving!  The days of 14  cents a round port delivered are long gone but the 5.56 is still affordable.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Got out shooting Saturday.  The 16" fluted HB  shot great - 3 touching at 50 YDS. with Fed Am Eag 55 gr.  Got that barrel from Mas Defense.  My lw upper did not do as well.  Thinking because the sling's webbing goes around the HG and is snugged up through the gas block swivel it was pulling up on the barrel.  About 3" @ 50 yds which is not interesting in my book.  This was an Anderson lw mid length 16".  Back home I adjusted the sling attachment so I hope to get at least 2 moa out of it.  Both uppers ran flawlessly which I have come to expect with my builds.

My lasr builds about 10 years back were FALs and AKs.  Had a nice park setup too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard good things about MAS defense but reviews are very mixed about Anderson. If you can't get it to shoot give a Faxon's pencil barrel a try. I dont have a high round count but i'm very happy with the groups i'm getting with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a MAS defense 10.5 nitrided barrel with about 4k rounds through it. I carry it kn duty and cant praise it enough.Really impressed for the price.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like the looks of Faxon's 16" flame fluted tube.  May try that if the anderson does not come around.  Heading out into the snowy boondocks to give it another whirl today.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#6]
How'd it go the other day?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Made it out yesterday and shot off hand at about 70 yds.  I should have had a 3" group with some flyers but it was around 7".  Well I noticed Ballistic Advantage is having a sale so I went for a 16" med. countour mostly because it has a .750 full size gas block seat that will work with my YHM flip up sight.   http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-223-wylde-tacgov-mid-length-ss-premium-barrel-ops12.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Trouble with photo
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got out shooting Saturday.  The 16" fluted HB  shot great - 3 touching at 50 YDS. with Fed Am Eag 55 gr.  Got that barrel from Mas Defense.  My lw upper did not do as well.  Thinking because the sling's webbing goes around the HG and is snugged up through the gas block swivel it was pulling up on the barrel.  About 3" @ 50 yds which is not interesting in my book.  This was an Anderson lw mid length 16".  Back home I adjusted the sling attachment so I hope to get at least 2 moa out of it.  Both uppers ran flawlessly which I have come to expect with my builds.

My lasr builds about 10 years back were FALs and AKs.  Had a nice park setup too.
View Quote

Were you on falfiles?  I was active there about then.  I bought a CAI frankenfal in 2000 thanks to algore almost winning, just got around to the AR world last year.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top