Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2017 6:05:21 PM EDT
I just finished this about an hour ago and had to share. I couldn't be happier, I learned so much about the platform and real got to understand how everything works.

I tried to keep it budget friendly and simple for my first build.

Here are the specs:

Anderson lower, upper, and buffer tube kit
Palmetto State LPK
Tom's Tactical Black Nitride BCG 
CBC Industries nitride coated 1/8 twist 556 barrel
Magpul od green handguard, stock, grip and trigger guard
Strike industries ultimate dust cover and forward assist
A2 site is a take off I drilled and tapped with 6 set screws and dimpled the barrel ( not crazy about this but couldn't find a Armalite clamp on)

Thanks for looking.
JP
https://goo.gl/photos/ea9f752d5J4hrtZE6

https://goo.gl/photos/PY5bVJS8NLM1gvCc6
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking rifle!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice. Thanks for posting, it's great to see what people were doing with your new builds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks really nice which is saying something because it's a complete 180 from my style but it works and I love the OD green.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good. I love the carry handle!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good. I love the carry handle!
View Quote
Me too! Originally I was going to go with magpul mbus but half way through the build a carry handle just seemed right and I dig it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
P:  Nice looking rifle, building it yourself is priceless.  FWIW, here are a few suggestions:

-  Its a modern military rifle, so get a bayonet for it, the older M7 model is best IMO, available used on ebay for about $35.  Keep it sharp.
-  Swap out the barrel for one with a mid-length gas port, that way the bayonet will fit correctly and the bullet's dwell time is reduced.  Green Mountain makes just what you want, 1in8, chrome lined, 5.56 chamber.  Quality is excellent and price is amazingly low.  ARP is another good maker for a little more moola.
-  Magpul makes MOE slimline handguards in mid-length
-  If you don't already have one, Magpul's MOE K2+ is the grip I use for this kind of rifle.  It has a rubber skin on it that grips tight even when hands are slippery
-  Consider painting all exposed surfaces to match the color of the furniture.  Military rifles should blend in to the surroundings

Good luck and please post some pics of your best paper targets. - CW
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I got out on Monday and put some rounds down range. I have to say I was a bit nervous squeezing the trigger on the first round but it ran like a champ!!
I was like a proud papa watching my kid walk for the first time...lol

Thanks for any help I got on here, this site is a gem.
JP
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
https://goo.gl/photos/AjA8sbWHoY8rXpa16

first one was at 25 yards second one at 50 yards
https://goo.gl/photos/28TFxocmcmHdk43t7

Definitely some work to do but never have shot with the A2 style front sight and carry handle sights. Only shot about 40 rounds.

Man I'm getting old I guess that target is hard to see at 100 yards, Im thinking an upgraded thinner front sight post will be in my future....any recommendations?

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice build! I am not one much for carry handle type builds. But that is sweet!
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice build! I am not one much for carry handle type builds. But that is sweet!
View Quote
Thanks JDennis I first wasn't going to do the carry handle but it grew on me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Great looking weapon!  
I see a carry handle build in my future.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great looking weapon!  
I see a carry handle build in my future.
View Quote

Yeah, I like this too and a future build will definitely have a carry handle sight on it. Good job, OP!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks perfect. Dont worry about the sight. Once you make sure it zeros OK, no canted front sight, remove one screw at a time and apply red lock tight  and crank 'em down tight. That's how I install all of my sights now. I don't even dimple them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top