Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2017 9:00:26 PM EDT
I winced a bit but good quality tools are worth it. That's what I keep telling myself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
$70 is nothing for a good tool.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm happy with mine and it's worked flawlessly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Magpul armorer's tool is a good tool(I have one), but have found myself using Tapco's armorer's wrench out of all of my AR tools. Half the price too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully it's manufactured better than their BEV blocks. I tried disassembling an upper with one over the weekend. It was new in box and wouldn't fit my barrel extension. Apparently, it's an issue with them. Waiting to hear back from customer service.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully it's manufactured better than their BEV blocks. I tried disassembling an upper with one over the weekend. It was new in box and wouldn't fit my barrel extension. Apparently, it's an issue with them. Waiting to hear back from customer service.
View Quote

That's not good. The one I had got "borrowed" by a former coworker and was never returned and I ordered another one. The last one worked perfectly, hopefully the new one will as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's not good. The one I had got "borrowed" by a former coworker and was never returned and I ordered another one. The last one worked perfectly, hopefully the new one will as well.
View Quote

Try putting in it an upper now so you'll know whenever the time comes that you need it. Research showed it's a tolerance issue(obviously) and they're less likely to work in quality barrels, go figure.

The info I found showed that replacements worked so hopefully they replace mine with no hassle. If not my file might be put to use to touch up the lugs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
LOVE my wrench from magpul. Find myself using it all the time. Well worth the money.

I talked with Magpul a while back about the Bev block issue. My Bev block fits my RRA barrel, and my White Oak barrel, but not my BCM barrel. Apparently, they know about it, but they didn't offer any solution or anything, just kind of blew it off. I asked them if this was going to be fixed, and the answer I received was something along the lines of "it fits 99% of the barrels out there, so its not on our high priority list at the moment" or something to that effect. There's a ton of BCM barrels out there, so I know I can't be the only one.

My Geissele reaction rod will be here later this week...

Seth
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have the wrench but I love my BEV block.

Mine is only a month or so old and it works fine with two of my AR's with premium barrels.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Today I found out that Magpul Wrench doesnt work with the KAK pistol buffer tubes.  Diameter of the tube is too big.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Magpul armorer's tool is a good tool(I have one), but have found myself using Tapco's armorer's wrench out of all of my AR tools. Half the price too.
View Quote

I love my crappy Tapco wrench. Does everything I have ever needed it to do, barreled several rifles etc....
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer individual wrenches instead of one big hunk of metal with multiple cut outs or functions.

Like the spikes tactical wrenches that go on breaker bars.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll never understand why people spend $70 for this. Sure it's nice and all, but it's totally unnecessary if you have a decent set of tools. I've built a couple now and still don't see the point.

Sorry, someone had to say it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Used mine for the first time today, on a buffer tube.  Way better than the Tapco, I have and have used both.  Being a former mechanic by trade I see the value in quality tools but that no longer being my source of income see the applications for less than the best at a lower cost.  Wow, I should be in politics straddling the fence like that.  As far as buffer tubes go the Magpul wrench rocks!  I have a friend that is real bad about returning borrowed tools, he gets the Tapco.

Jester
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Used mine for the first time today, on a buffer tube.  Way better than the Tapco, I have and have used both.  Being a former mechanic by trade I see the value in quality tools but that no longer being my source of income see the applications for less than the best at a lower cost.  Wow, I should be in politics straddling the fence like that.  As far as buffer tubes go the Magpul wrench rocks!  I have a friend that is real bad about returning borrowed tools, he gets the Tapco.

Jester
View Quote

I don't lend out tools, books, or before the digital age any sort of audio or video media due to a zero return rate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#15]
The wrench arrived today.

Ooooohhhhhh! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Sweet chunk of metal this thing is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I got mine 6 months ago, no issue with LaRue or faxon barrel.

Quoted:
Today I found out that Magpul Wrench doesnt work with the KAK pistol buffer tubes.  Diameter of the tube is too big.
View Quote

Wish they kept the end open, that way it would work on pistol tubes and you wouldn't need to remove the stock to remove or install a tube.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Its a good all around tool in a pinch but its not a good tool for any one job. In other words its over priced junk. I bought a cheap universal armourer tool to use on muzzles and I have a specific tool for my barrel nut and the spikes tool for castle nuts. I work with tools and a universal tool is like an adjustable wrench its good in a pinch when nothing else is available.

Also be careful using the torque wrench with the magpul tool. Its not going to be accurate but there are threads teaching how to calculate accuracy. Personally nothing needs torqued on the AR the barrel nut is good and tight the muzzle is pretty tight and the castle nut is pretty tight lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I get by with these, and a cheap all in one tool I got at a gun show. Don't know how I haven't broken that one yet. 

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Its a good all around tool in a pinch but its not a good tool for any one job. In other words its over priced junk. I bought a cheap universal armourer tool to use on muzzles and I have a specific tool for my barrel nut and the spikes tool for castle nuts. I work with tools and a universal tool is like an adjustable wrench its good in a pinch when nothing else is available.

Also be careful using the torque wrench with the magpul tool. Its not going to be accurate but there are threads teaching how to calculate accuracy. Personally nothing needs torqued on the AR the barrel nut is good and tight the muzzle is pretty tight and the castle nut is pretty tight lol.
View Quote

The torque will be accurate if the tool is installed 90*/perpendicular to the torque wrench. If not, then you need to use the torque formula for adding an extension. (LxT) divided by (L+E)

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I get by with these, and a cheap all in one tool I got at a gun show. Don't know how I haven't broken that one yet. 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/Bloencustoms/2015/IMG_20170215_203501.jpg
View Quote

I have those same two tools. I have had them over twenty years. Barreled/unbarreled several rifles and buffer tubes of mine, and loaned them to friends. I realize the spanner for the barrel nut will only work on the GI type, but that is all (up to this point) that I have built.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought one and brandished it proudly going to install the barrel and Odin Works 15" handguard on my upper.

Punch line: Odin Works barrel nut uses claw foot wrench instead.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a gemstate wrench I got for xmas 2 years ago.

It's nice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I have both the Magpul BEV and wrench.   Great tools.

mm
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top