Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2017 5:05:36 PM EDT
Being a leftie, my next build is going to be on an ambidextrous lower. I'm aware of the Santan, LWRC and Rainier Arms ambidextrous lowers and leaning toward the latter.

Are there other makes of ambidextrous lowers?

I'd appreciate any insights into any of them, good or bad, that folks might offer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Being a leftie, my next build is going to be on an ambidextrous lower. I'm aware of the Santan, LWRC and Rainier Arms ambidextrous lowers and leaning toward the latter.

Are there other makes of ambidextrous lowers?

I'd appreciate any insights into any of them, good or bad, that folks might offer.
View Quote

Definitely on the more expensive side but KAC has complete ambi lowers ready to go with a 2 stage trigger, SOPMOD stock, QD end plate as well as the standard ambi features (mag release, bolt release, safety etc). I also think it has the coolest roll mark out there but that's a highly subjective opinion.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Only 2 things are needed to make your lower lefty friendly

1. Ambi mag release. I like the Norgon style

2. The safety. Get a double sided one or a reversible one
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
American defense lower would probably be the best one to get other than the AXTS lower which are hard to come by. I do have the AXTS lower and the Santan lower as well as a ambi Seekins lower.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Ascend Armory has a new set of receivers out that are true ambi bolt hold open and release. Add a Norgon and it is complete. Comes with a good amount of hardware so all that is needed to complete the set is an FA, Dust cover,safety and trigger. Hope that gives you something else to look over. Good shootin'
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Being a lefty, my advice is don't do it. Paying out the nose for proprietary stuff that you will be stuck relying on the OEM to update is a big "no thanks" for me. I have left handed bolt actions (Remington and Savage) but for an AR, Ambi selector, and a Norgon mag release (side note: I'm loving that these are being mentioned by so many others, I used to feel alone in my appreciation of the Norgon) are all I've ever needed on the lower. I've never had trouble either using my trigger finger on the bolt catch, or wrapping my support hand around the magwell to hit it after a reload.

Try operating an MP5, an M14, or even a 10/22 as a lefty, and you'll gain a whole new appreciation for the ability to operate the AR platform as a lefty.

However, if you're hell bent on having an ambi AR, you can add Falkor Defense to those mentioned so far. They ain't cheap, but not much more than the non-ambi Falkor products are.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a lefty, my advice is don't do it. Paying out the nose for proprietary stuff that you will be stuck relying on the OEM to update is a big "no thanks" for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a lefty, my advice is don't do it. Paying out the nose for proprietary stuff that you will be stuck relying on the OEM to update is a big "no thanks" for me.
So, you have no actual experience with ambidextrous lowers?

I have left handed bolt actions (Remington and Savage)
I have a Savage.

but for an AR, Ambi selector, and a Norgon mag release ... are all I've ever needed on the lower.
That's kinda what I have now, though I am reluctant to pony up $90 for a mag release. The ones I currently have appear to be High Velocity Arms ambi mag releases. I say "appear to be" because they bear the HVA logo. But I got them for thirty-some buck each off eBay a few years ago and, judging by today's prices, they must be Chinese knock-offs to be selling for the price I paid. They work fine, by the way.

When lowers can be had for $50, it's hard to get my head around a $90 mag release. I figured, if I'm going to spend big bucks, why not just get a lower that's designed to be ambidextrous? I don't anticipate anything breaking. Seems unlikely, so I'm not concerned about "relying on an OEM" for an update. What's to update?

However, if you're hell bent on having an ambi AR, you can add Falkor Defense to those mentioned so far. They ain't cheap, but not much more than the non-ambi Falkor products are.
I'm not hell bent on anything, but I'm considering it.

I appreciate the reference to Falkor Defense. Unfortunately, they have only "Matched sets" of upper and lower for their ambi products. I already have an enhanced upper with its matching handguard. I'm only in the market for lower at this time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
CMT has a full ambi lower.  It comes with proprietary parts that make it ambi, for the mag release and bolt catch.  To build it, you just add milspec parts.  If any of the proprietary parts fail, everything still operates as a normal AR.  

The upper / lower set is in stock on AIM.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the ADM UIC.  They are truly 100% ambi with the bolt catch & release.  

They also have a duty version that is $10 cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:30:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm building my "no expense spared" build off a matched San Tan Tactical receiver set. They both look and function wonderfully.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd look at the American Defense ambi lower.  It is a true ambi with right side bolt catch and bolt release and of course the left side mag release.

The KAC  SR15E3 series only has the right side bolt release.

I have a KAC SR15e3 and the American Defense UIC.  If I had to pick one I'd go with the American Defense.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#12]
LMT MARS lowers also offer full ambi controls.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
As a lefty myself, I have yet to find the need for Ambi-Lowers. Everything is within reach, and works great as it is setup. I find that I have an advantage over Righties on the standard bolt catch/release. Perhaps an Ambi Charging handle could speed things up?

It also trains me in a manual of arms that is universal to any AR I might find myself using.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The best ambi lower that's on the market is the ADM UIC.

I'm a leftie as well. I find the AR with an ambi charge handle is more friendly to us... I personally like ADM lower so I can have the most complete rifle as possible. I train both strong and weak side and the ambi controls help.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a lefty and train/shoot fully ambi. My personal preference is LWRC ambi, them Ranier Arms ambi, then POF gen 4's and finally standard Spikes Tactical with Noveske ambi safeties and troy ambi mag releases. It is nice to have ambi bolt and mag release function, but you will need to train to hit them intuitively.

Also it personally sets my ocd's blaring when a mag release is in a different place as is the case with each different lower above. Just something to think about-find a placement that fits your OCDs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Cmttac.com
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#17]
AERO PRECISION

I need help deciding on an ambi mag release.

I must need a course on searches because I am not finding anything.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the seekins . No ambi mag release built in but plenty of options to add those tof the gun. The axts is the I belive the best of them. That thing is beautiful and highly functional . Only took me 4 years to find one though.
I'm a right handed shooter but the looks for true ambi lowers is where it's at for billet. If it s billey and isn't ambi, I'm not buying it. I'd rather just a quality forged.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought the ADM duty series before LMT announced their MARS lowers, and it is a great cost effective version that you can make exactly as you choose.

I have the Seekins 45/90 ambi selector and a Raptor CH because I shoot both RH and LH and that lower is VERY well thought out.

Many people know how much I like KAC, and you can get an ambidextrous magazine release from them PN 20470-1.

I would have put my MRP Rifle length upper on a MARS lower but after handling the ADM, I won't sell it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#20]
You said you already have an enhanced upper and handguard,  you mean the Aero M4E1?  

If so get the matching lower:

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=izap1vlaox00zk8a02gtd&mi=13601&url=http%3A%2F%2Faeroprecisionusa.com%2Far15-ambidextrous-lower.html

I have one factory Aero and one PDQ lever that I installed myself on a Spikes Crusader lower.

No issues with either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Lefty rifle shooter here.

Norgon and ambi safety is all you need
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top