Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2017 7:15:41 PM EDT
I haven't installed a gas block in a couple years and I recall you can space the gas block forward from the barrel shoulder using a credit card so that the two ports line up.

Am I remembering correctly?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
never heard that. too many variables with different manufacturers..........

i ALWAYS measure. it's the only surefire way to know for sure IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Might be if you were installing the gas block after removing the handguard cap.
If barrel was cut (gas block shoulder) for use with std. handguard, and you were to switch it to a  free floating HG.......then the "spacer"/HG cap, would be absent and distance would need to accounted for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess I should add this is a new Ballistic Advantage 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system and their .750" gas block.

The credit card "shim" worked on a Bushmaster and then a Mega/Ranier build several years back.  At least I think that's the way I did it.

I'll be measuring tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's a set screw type block just take the appropriate screw out and take a peek into the vacated hole to line it up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
ISO standard for credit cards (all bank cards) are .030 +/- 10%. 
Yes, you are OK using them to space the gas block. 
I have set many gas blocks using a credit card. All function correctly. 
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
never heard that. too many variables with different manufacturers..........

i ALWAYS measure. it's the only surefire way to know for sure IMO.
View Quote
Yup. Been there, made that mistake. If you measure, you KNOW.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I haven't installed a gas block in a couple years and I recall you can space the gas block forward from the barrel shoulder using a credit card so that the two ports line up.

Am I remembering correctly?

Thanks!
View Quote

The credit card trick works because in most cases it does not matter since the hole on the gas block is substantially larger than the gas port hole in the barrel. There is a ton of room for error. Don't believe me? Take your barrel and your gas block, put the gas block on like you were installing it correctly except seat it all the way up against the shoulder. Now, with the set screws removed from the gas block, rotate it 180 degrees so that it is now oriented upside down. Now, look through the set screw hole at the barrel and you will see the gas port. It will be favoring one side of the hole, but it will also be shooting plenty of gas through that hole. The hole on the other side of the gas block, which mates with the gas port, is just as big as the set screw hole. The only way to get it "perfect" is to get it dimpled using a jig that indexes off the gas port. Also, dimpling without a jig that indexes off the gas port hole is pointless and does not increase the ruggedness of the setup, only a pinned gas block will do that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Reputable gas blocks have oversized port holes.  I shove mine up against the shoulder.  I have never had an issue.  I don't use ebay parts, no accusations, just saying YMMV if you do.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not use a shim available form Fulton?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not use a shim available form Fulton?
View Quote

Because the credit card method works fine and it is free.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I use an .025 feeler gauge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Why would you even assume that the gas block needs to be spaced from the shoulder...?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I measure then space accordingly if needed.  I HAVE seen rifles that would not function at all when the builder slammed the gas block all the way up against the shoulder, so there is not always enough room.  Measure, calculate, space, then you know it's correct.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I noticed the set screw hole was directly under the gas tube port in the gas block so figured that would be my reference.

All the parts I'm working with are from Ballistic Advantage, not ebay.  Too many reputable and reasonable dealers to buy much on ebay.

And roger, the gas ports look plenty large to still function even with some unintentional offset.  

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why would you even assume that the gas block needs to be spaced from the shoulder...?
View Quote

Because the shoulder is set to allow for the hardware to mount a stock plastic hand guard cap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because the shoulder is set to allow for the hardware to mount a stock plastic hand guard cap.
View Quote

That's a dangerously broad assumption to make about EVERY SINGLE BARREL in existence.  Perhaps the better way to state it would be "Many barrels could possibly have the shoulder set for a handguard retaining cap, so it's best to measure the actual gas port distance to the shoulder and set the block accordingly" rather than the way you said it.

I personally have at least 3 barrels (that I know of) that are intended for the gas block to sit flush against the shoulder, being intended for free-floated handguards that don't require an end cap.  But generalizing a standard from 30 years ago is certainly easier I suppose.  

The proper answer is to measure, at least by removing a screw from set screw blocks as mentioned above.

In practical application, unless it's a truly custom barrel with custom gas port size, it'll be overgassed enough that butting the block against the shoulder isn't very likely to have any adverse effects.  Still best to measure just to ensure proper placement the first time, though, just in case.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use an .025 feeler gauge.
View Quote

This is what I use too and it has always worked well for Me
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't be lazy.

Just measure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Measured it and the credit card shim still worked fine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#20]
For Low pro they can vary (block to shoulder distance). Always simply flip the block upside down and match the screw hole to the gas port (many do not realize the block port hole IS the same hole used for set screw hole). Then just look/measure how far off the block is from the shoulder. That's the most accurate/consistent way to get it dead on every time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I noticed the set screw hole was directly under the gas tube port in the gas block so figured that would be my reference.

All the parts I'm working with are from Ballistic Advantage, not ebay.  Too many reputable and reasonable dealers to buy much on ebay.

And roger, the gas ports look plenty large to still function even with some unintentional offset.  

Thanks for all the replies.
View Quote

That's because they use the rearmost set screw hole to drill the gas port on the GB.

I always use this method to determine if it needs any spacing (I've only ever had one barrel/GB combo that absolutely needed a gap) and then go from there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not on all barrels and some LPGBs are built to take up that space since most people don't use LPGBs with handguard caps.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I used a barrel dimpler on my low pro gas block. It completely takes any guessing out of the equation plus giving you block extra grip.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I used a barrel dimpler on my low pro gas block. It completely takes any guessing out of the equation plus giving you block extra grip.
View Quote

all that effort, might as well just pin it instead.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#25]
All the barrels I have bought over the years have had the standard spacing between the port and the shoulder.
Things change so it is not surprising that there would be barrels that don’t allow for caps.
There are gas blocks out there meant to go against the shoulder w/o a cap.
However all the ones I have used allow the use of a cap and have to be spaced when a cap is not used.
I checked one years ago and the block slightly encroached on the port hole.
In reality it probably was not enough to significantly affect anything, but it would have offended my sensibilities and a spacer is just too easy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

all that effort, might as well just pin it instead.  
View Quote

Effort?

either one takes the guess work out. Dimpling is quicker, pinning is overkill IMO for a low pro. With the pinning jig you spend more time in the jig with a small drill bit and they snap really easy, so for just an alignment tool the dimple seemed quicker easiest.Low effort.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Effort?

either one takes the guess work out. Dimpling is quicker, pinning is overkill IMO for a low pro.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Effort?

either one takes the guess work out. Dimpling is quicker, pinning is overkill IMO for a low pro.

Tell that to the guys I've seen at the range whose dimpled, loctited, set-screw low-pros got hammered so far forward on the barrel from the action cycling they became single-shot guns.  

With the pinning jig you spend more time in the jig with a small drill bit and they snap really easy, so for just an alignment tool the dimple seemed quicker easiest.Low effort.

1.  It takes no more time to set up the pinning jig than it does a dimpling jig.

2.  I've been using the same drill bit for over 40 gas blocks and not only is it still sharp and cutting well, it has managed to not snap even once.  Maybe your problem with your pinning jig was using shit drills or poor technique?

3.  Low effort doesn't necessarily equate to "the proper way".  But of course this being an internet forum, all manner of lazy folks abound, so if that's your thing so be it.  I'll just keep doing it the right way and you do it however you want.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I just measured every card, DL,CHL in my wallet. They were all between .029" and .033".

Personally, I use a .025" feeler gage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Tell that to the guys I've seen at the range whose dimpled, loctited, set-screw low-pros got hammered so far forward on the barrel from the action cycling they became single-shot guns.  

1.  It takes no more time to set up the pinning jig than it does a dimpling jig.

2.  I've been using the same drill bit for over 40 gas blocks and not only is it still sharp and cutting well, it has managed to not snap even once.  Maybe your problem with your pinning jig was using shit drills or poor technique?

3.  Low effort doesn't necessarily equate to "the proper way".  But of course this being an internet forum, all manner of lazy folks abound, so if that's your thing so be it.  I'll just keep doing it the right way and you do it however you want.  
View Quote

We are talking about pinning or dimpling a block where the majority of all are just stuck on with set screws with no issue. I dimple just for port hole placement. If I pinned I would still dimple because it is without a doubt the best way to center port hole.

The right way to put on a low pro is to simply tighten set screws, not pin or dimple. Its curious that in your area dimpling makes them less reliable than just the standard set screws. Lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Subbed for the build I'm doing.  

The gas block flows freely when back against the shoulder of the barrel, so I'm a bit surprised spacing it out is needed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I used an old spark plug gapper to find the spacing. Lots of different ways to get the same result.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Reputable gas blocks have oversized port holes.  I shove mine up against the shoulder.  I have never had an issue.  I don't use ebay parts, no accusations, just saying YMMV if you do.  
View Quote

"Reputable manufacturers deviate from specifications."

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Effort?

either one takes the guess work out. Dimpling is quicker, pinning is overkill IMO for a low pro. With the pinning jig you spend more time in the jig with a small drill bit and they snap really easy, so for just an alignment tool the dimple seemed quicker easiest.Low effort.
View Quote

Ford once did an internal study and found that 90% of all catastrophic failures were attributed to threaded fasteners.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I went by the dealership, but they just looked at me funny when I tried to get a good deal on one of their ARs and a car that's assembled with taper pins.

I dimple then Rocksett the screws in my blocks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top