Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2017 9:19:27 PM EDT
So I am building an AR with a 16" BCM stripped barrel and a 15 in Midwest Industries FF rail. I was curious as to what length gas tube I should get? From what I've read it does not seem to matter if I get either carbine or mid length gas tube because they will both fit my barrel length?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Carbine is a 7 inch gas system
Mid is a 9 inch gas system

The gas tubes are not easily interchangeable between the two. Link to the barrel you bought (there are more than 1 16 inch 'striped' barrel on BCM's website) and we can tell you which to grab up to complete the build.

ETA: Barrel length doesn't matter, its the gas tube length. You can get different lengths with the same length barrel. 16 inch usually is a mid or carbine... 14.5 is carbine or pistol... 18 is mid, intermediate, or rifle length, 20 is USUALLY rifle length, but I think I saw some intermediates available while perusing for my recent build.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M4-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-m4%2016%20std.htm
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You buy the gas tube that matches the gas system of the barrel. Pistol, carbine, Midlength, and rifle.

I believe there is an intermediate also,  don't know anything about them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, I can't believe they don't list the gas length.

It says standard quite a few times in there so I bet it is carbine length gas.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
hot

Carbine length tube is what you seek.

Eta: says in the description.

Badass bbl choice btw.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea M4 standards are usually carbine gassed. It's weird that it doesn't list it in the description other than really just in the Feed Ramp section. But the M4 USGI profiles are 90% carbine length.

ETA: They list the length in all the other ones. They might want to update their descriptions for us mere mortals of the AR15 world
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#7]
It references "the shorter carbine gas system" ....it's there.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It references "the shorter carbine gas system" ....it's there.
View Quote

That's true... But I don't like reading though their marketing BS. I just want to go to a list of specs, and order my parts. But that's just me probably.

I want a TL:DR version at the end lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya, it would be a good idea to update that to specify.

The reference to the shorter gas system looks to be an explanation for m4 feed ramps, not what that bbl has.
They do describe it as standard m4 a few times, and that would imply carbine gas.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's true... But I don't like reading though their marketing BS. I just want to go to a list of specs, and order my parts. But that's just me probably.

I want a TL:DR version at the end lol
View Quote

Im with you. SPELL IT OUT!
If in doubt, I'd call BCM.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Im with you. SPELL IT OUT!
If in doubt, I'd call BCM.
View Quote

I, too, have a little tiny attention span.

The pic shows a carbine length - 7"
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you purchased the barrel yet? If not you might want to consider getting a 16" with a mid length gas system. This will give you a softer shooting rifle, and will shoot most loads unless you're shooting extremely light loads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The picture is obviously a carbine barrel, no description really necessary since it is unlikely BCM is going to put a picture up of a different barrel then the one for sale.  I prefer middy 16's as well to the carbine but I like to stick with the standard A2 FSB so for me the added sight radius is the biggest bonus, with a free float rail it wouldn't matter much to me.  I also can't stand the way 16" carbines look with the standard length handguards and fixed FSB, way too much barrel hanging out past the handguards.  With a 14.5" it could go either way for me, but still prefer the middy.  They are a little softer shooting overall but it isn't that big of a difference, they are all 5.56 so pretty tame.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top