Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2017 1:50:17 PM EDT
Looks to be rust in a new barrel i just got.  Should i just clean it and shoot it or call the place i got it from?

New pics added after cleaning shots.  Little past half way down.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd call the place you got it from and ask for a replacement. That looks terrible to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea i never seen a new barrel like this ever.  Not sure if anybody else seen a barrel like this before.  Is it possible it has some kind of special coating inside?
Barrel Steel - 4140 Chrome Moly
Barrel Finish - Phosphate Black
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yea i never seen a new barrel like this ever.  Not sure if anybody else seen a barrel like this before.  Is it possible it has some kind of special coating inside?
Barrel Steel - 4140 Chrome Moly
Barrel Finish - Phosphate Black
View Quote

Not that I've ever seen. It looks like obvious rust to me and if so, whoever shipped you that should be embarrassed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I called the place i got it from waiting to hear back from them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be more concerned with that nubbin looking thing on that first pic. Have you tried to pass a swab down it to see if it comes out easily with some hoppes or something
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not done anything with the barrel yet waiting to hear back from the place i got it from has to say.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it RUST or a RUST PREVENTATIVE?  Like SP-400 corrosion inhibitor or a cosmoline or similar?

Try cleaning a small portion and see how it looks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like dried cosmoline.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The edges seem a little too rigid and harsh to be rust. It almost looks like some kind of film unless they flaked in perfect-edged pieces. Regardless, that little metal imperfection also seems a little sketchy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I was told they clean the barrel before its shipped out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
This will dry to an almost exact copy of OPs pic, why I asked.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a pic of the chamber end.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I would wait to hear form the company.  That metal imperfection in the first pic is worrisome as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like cosmoline to me, I have received many barrels that have to be cleaned and lubed before shooting it, that does not look like rust..
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would wait to hear form the company.  That metal imperfection in the first pic is worrisome as well.
View Quote

Looks like a burr or shaving set up in what I assume to be a coating.

Eta: whos bbl? In the first pics it looks as if the bbl is inside of a sleeve? Possibly 2 different materials? I may be wrong,  but it looks that way? ?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#16]
It's been 5hrs, did the patch get stuck?  

I'd run a patch through it and go from there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks to be some kind of corrosion inhibitor like Linebacker or LPS-3.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/lps_rust.php
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was told they clean the barrel before its shipped out.
View Quote

They very well have cleaned then spray corrosion inhibitor into it, that is what I do with barrels I sell, I will clean them up real good, then spray them so they don't rust or gunk up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#19]
This is a common occurance. The brown color is a preservative to prevent corrosion, but unfortunately is a similar color to rust so people tend to freak out. It's commonly used on all kinds of AR parts.

Denatured alcohol will take it right off, or will clean off with most other cleaning solvents.

It is NOT a lubricant. Failure to clean it off a new gun or new parts before shooting is a common reason for malfunctions in new guns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is a common occurance. The brown color is a preservative to orevent corrosion , but unfortunately is a similar color to rust so people tend to freak out. It's commonly used on all kinds of AR parts.

Denatured alcohol will take it right off, or will clean off with most other cleaning solvents.

It is NOT a lubricant. Failure to clean it off a new gun or new parts before shooting is a common reason for malfunctions in new guns.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Any updates? Don't be shy, all of us have looked at something and been like 'DAFUQ is that' before.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry no updates yet its just sitting here.  Not sure if i want to clean it or wait to hear back from the place i got it from.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Looks like a burr or shaving set up in what I assume to be a coating.

Eta: whos bbl? In the first pics it looks as if the bbl is inside of a sleeve? Possibly 2 different materials? I may be wrong,  but it looks that way? ?
View Quote

http://www.jsesurplus.com/18WilsonArmsMidlength5.561x8MolyBarrelStripped.aspx
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Clean the damn thing before bitching.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Well u wouldn't think a brand new barrel would come looking like this would you?  I never seen one like that in all the builds i have done.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#26]
JSE got flooded this past spring /summer. Badly.

I do believe it is a corrosion inhibitor, I would clean a small portion of it and inspect. They literally have/had hundreds of stock bbls on hand. Have to prepare them for long storage somehow.

Again though,  whats the story with the first pic of the muzzle?  What's with the ring around the outer edge?  Like it's a sleeve?
Tig
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Again though,  whats the story with the first pic of the muzzle?  What's with the ring around the outer edge?  Like it's a sleeve?
Tig
View Quote

It is just the way the barrel end got machined, it looks like a sleeve due to the lighting of the image.

Myself, instead of sitting around wondering, I would dip a couple of patches in kerosene and run up the barrel from the receiver end and you will see as it softens up, it will start to come out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Lighting is deceiving
Looks like an airgap between two tubes. My eyes are not what they were either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Take two or three Q tips and rubbing alcohol and swab out the muzzle then see what it looks like.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Almost an hrs worth of cleaning this is what it looks like.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:24:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Is that pitting?  What do u guys think does it seem ok?  The cleaning did seem to remove alot of the rust or whatever it was.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#33]
What did you use to clean it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What did you use to clean it?
View Quote

22 cal brush and jag with remington bore cleaner
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Yikes
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is that pitting?  What do u guys think does it seem ok?  The cleaning did seem to remove alot of the rust or whatever it was.
View Quote

Now it looks like hammered shit. I'd send those pics to the manufacturer because there is some pitting and they should stand by their product and replace it with one that isn't.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#37]
It looks like a coating to me. I'd scrub it before getting upset. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Box it up and send it back.....that looks like pitting. If you don't it will eat at you from here on out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm seeing the pics on a smartphone,  OP . BUT I DONT LIKE WHAT I SEE EITHER!

Personally, I'd send that turd back to MO. Plenty of sources for a quality bbl out there, and that one isn't, imo.

If that barrel was "cleaned, inspected, coated" prior to shipping to you, somebody needs a kick in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#40]
My Garand barrels from WW2 don’t look like that.
Based on the pics to me that barrel is not acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I scrubbed the barrel if u scroll down a little bit i posted new pics.  I could scrub it a little more but don't think the barrel is gonna get any better.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I scrubbed the barrel if u scroll down a little bit i posted new pics.  I could scrub it a little more but don't think the barrel is gonna get any better.  
View Quote

Well,

I am going to have to give in and say, get an RMA number from them and move one, looks like it might be an old barrel that set a bit too long and may have had a small amount of moisture under the coating they put on it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Rem Bore Cleaner is a mild abrasive which physically scrubs out fouling from the bore. While it works great on patches for powder fouling and the like, it will not be very effective on a thick greasy or solidified protectant product.

Scrub the bore out with hot water and dish soap, or denatured alcohol like I suggested before and see if the brown gunk doesn't come right out.  Polar solvents are much more effective IME. Small parts like LPK's and such I usually just put in a can and let them soak in alcohol overnight to dissolve all the gunk.

Another thread a while back of the same thing as an example:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/692075_NEW_rusty_barrel_from_Aero_Precision__.html
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#44]
OP has done all he can, that thing needs to be on it's way back where it came from.
The brush would have taken out any soft coating.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OP has done all he can, that thing needs to be on it's way back where it came from.
The brush would have taken out any soft coating.
View Quote

Agreed. I don't like the looks of this after cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:26:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Maybe i'll give it another cleaning see if anything changes but i really don't think it will do anything.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:32:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looks like cosmoline to me, I have received many barrels that have to be cleaned and lubed before shooting it, that does not look like rust..
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Maybe i'll give it another cleaning see if anything changes but i really don't think it will do anything.
View Quote

If so, try denatured alcohol
this time, as suggested earlier in this post.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If so, try denatured alcohol
this time, as suggested earlier in this post.
View Quote

I will not use anything but gun cleaning products on barrels.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Please look at this whole thread.  Rust or whatever seems to be gone now but what i'm left with seems to be some pretty bad pitting in the barrel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top