Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2016 11:51:01 PM EDT
Edit: Put a different BCG in and worked fine...

So I completed my first build. At least I thought I did. I started a function check and tried to chamber a round.

With no round in the chamber the BCG does what it's supposed to. With a round in the chamber it will not go into battery, and it will only go forward to about 1/4 inch short of where it should. When I try to eject the round it takes considerably more force than normal. I'm using a Ballistic Advantage barrel and a BCG out of one of my other AR's that has worked fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#1]
How are you trying to chamber the round?

There's a good chance you're being too gentle and trying to ride the charging handle down, which is preventing the extractor claw from snapping over the extractor groove in the cartridge, so it's not fully on the bolt face, and the bolt can't close.

Correct method is to use the charging handle to lock the bolt carrier to the rear with the bolt hold-open. Put a single round into a magazine and seat the magazine. Press the bolt hold-open release.

Alternate method is to insert a magazine, and BRISKLY snap the charging handle back and release it, like a bowstring.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Turns out that BCG is garbage. Put a different BCG from one of my other rifles and it worked fine
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you checked the headspace of the barrel in question?

If a round will not chamber, or takes a lot of force to chamber and extract, either the round is out of spec, or the headspace is too small. I had this happen to my DPMS 308 and it was headspacing. DPMS has very tight headspace and you really have to size it as small as the die/shell holder combo will go before it will chamber smoothly.

Also if you used a BCG from another rifle and it works (and I assume the entire BCG, not just the bolt carrier) then it is definitely headspacing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What ammo?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top