Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2016 11:43:18 AM EDT
Looking for feedback on which I should grab.  Both on sale right now.  The Brownells one is this one: Brownells Armorer's Wrench

After shipping, they are both pretty much the same price.  Just wasn't sure if all armorer's wrenches are made equal.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I would get the Magpul wrench over the Brownells wrench but I do like the castle nut tool on the Brownells wrench more than the one on the Magpul wrench.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with the Magpul and have yet to use my Brownell's, but can tell you the flash hider wrench portion for the latter is too large by a couple of mm for my Spike's Tactical 5.56 and DPMS .308 flash hiders.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no experience with the Magpul and have yet to use my Brownell's, but can tell you the flash hider wrench portion for the latter is too large by a couple of mm for my Spike's Tactical 5.56 and DPMS .308 flash hiders.
View Quote

That's one of the big problems with these multi tool style armorer's wrenches, they are rarely sized right and can damage the parts that you are working on.

It's always best to buy machine cut task specific tools vs. cast out of a mold do it all tools.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's one of the big problems with these multi tool style armorer's wrenches, they are rarely sized right and can damage the parts that you are working on.

It's always best to buy machine cut task specific tools vs. cast out of a mold do it all tools.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  I just have it as a field-expedient kit component.  I use my higher-end gunsmithing or automotive tools for normal firearms work.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really just need a mil-spec castle nut wrench.  I can pop the flash hider with a wrench, if needed.  Mostly, I just build out lowers.  Any suggestions for just a castle nut wrench?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the "Hammerhead" wrench.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll check it out!

What about the Rock River Arms Stock wrench?  Or...dare I say, the Tapco stock wrench?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll check it out!

What about the Rock River Arms Stock wrench?  Or...dare I say, the Tapco stock wrench?
View Quote

That's what I use. Mine is from Midwest Industries, but I've seen that same wrench being sold under 4 or 5 different brand names.

Hard to beat for $10. Only complaint is that it'll slip off of the castle nut easily if you're not careful.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
BCM KMR Tool works perfect on a castle nut.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I really just need a mil-spec castle nut wrench.  I can pop the flash hider with a wrench, if needed.  Mostly, I just build out lowers.  Any suggestions for just a castle nut wrench?
View Quote

This is the best stock wrench out the there. > Link.

Here is the "Mil-Spec" castle nut wrench. > Link.

The Spikes castle nut wrench is pretty good as well. > Link.

The Hammerhead stock wrench is a good wrench too but avoid the cheapy RRA wrench... You can't reach the correct torque spec with it and you can damage the castle nut with it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is the best stock wrench out the there. > Link.

Here is the "Mil-Spec" castle nut wrench. > Link.

The Spikes castle nut wrench is pretty good as well. > Link.

The Hammerhead stock wrench is a good wrench too but avoid the cheapy RRA wrench... You can't reach the correct torque spec with it and you can damage the castle nut with it.
View Quote

Thanks, Cliff!

I ended up grabbing a TAPCO Intrafuse...I had some money left on a gift card for Wally World, so I grabbed it and the Handguard removal tool for pretty cheap out of pocket.  If it doesn't do the job, I'll probably grab the Brownells or the Spike's you listed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the Magpul wrench may be the nicest one out there. However, my "bang per buck" vote goes to Tapco Armorer's wrench (the fat one, with the barrel nut cuts).
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Magpul does not like Aero Precision
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks, Cliff!

I ended up grabbing a TAPCO Intrafuse...I had some money left on a gift card for Wally World, so I grabbed it and the Handguard removal tool for pretty cheap out of pocket.  If it doesn't do the job, I'll probably grab the Brownells or the Spike's you listed.
View Quote

It will work fine.   I used one for years,  and it still gets an occasional workout.   Just make sure that you keep it completely vertical,  as it slips off easily.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:04:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It will work fine.   I used one for years,  and it still gets an occasional workout.   Just make sure that you keep it completely vertical,  as it slips off easily.
View Quote

Good to know!  Thanks

And, Maverick, I'm pretty sure I got the version you're talking about.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#16]
My vote is for the Gem State wrench. The website is currently down for maintence though
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Neither, I've tried both too. I use my trusted Tapco green armorer's tool.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neither, I've tried both too. I use my trusted Tapco green armorer's tool.
View Quote

Sweet, that's the one I ended up buying!
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My vote is for the Gem State wrench. The website is currently down for maintence though
View Quote

Mine is junk and I can't get them to answer messages.

It is like ut had a bad heat treat...the castle nut wrench side is mangled, the wrench itself is warped. I have only used it 5 times and with extreme caution and care.  My cheap old MI castle nut tool is still perfect.

I am pretty disappointed and will probably get the Magpul.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:07:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a magpul but use a ergo castle nut wrench. I also use a regular wrench on the muzzle device
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top