Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2016 2:53:58 PM EDT
Who's the go-to for inexpensive, but quality kits, these days?

Used J&T Distributing back in the day; but, they would let you substitute a COLT barrel, for a small fee.

Anyone use Model1 Sales?

Palmetto State Armory looking mighty fine for a M4/A4 Mil spec kits!

Old Member, since way before there was a Forum, just lost access to my old forum name SanchoPanza...
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Hey I just remembered my old password!!!

Admins, please delete the new account, Thank You.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, not yet on New Account; I've messed the old one up, again.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]

...but really, I don't know who sells inexpensive, go-to kits these days
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Been searching for this myself.   A ton of information on here, trying to narrow down the field.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
i always go with PSA.  typically can find their defender kit with ambi-safety and EPT fire control group for <$60 shipped if you are patient.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty hard to beat PSA.Period.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought one of their Complete Blem M4 type lowers for $129.99.

Couldn't find a Hint of a Blemish.

Slapped one of my unused uppers on = New Rifle.

Plan to order another 2 soonest.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Other than PSA, check out sites such as MidwayUSA or Primary Arms for Del-Ton kits on sale.  Surplus Ammo also has deals from time time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
PSA, Primary, or AIM have been good for me. So many have been sold out recently though. All us commifornians trying to finish builds before New laws take effect probably... Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup more then likely if you are looking at inexpensive options PSA will be the answer.  Some others would be fine choices as well such as Del-Ton, don't hear of many using them but they always use to get good praise.  PSA offers stuff at cheaper prices then almost anybody else and I have gotten quite a few things from them and everything has always been stellar. One thing I will say is if you do decide to go with PSA get their Freedom, or regular/Premium line of stuff as their cheaper Ptac stuff gets so so reveiws with some negative ones thrown in.  The freedom line usually is only another $10-20 or so and worth the difference.  I am not sure what all kits they still have in stock but there was a few $360 rifle kits just a couple days ago on there and that included everything but the stripped lower which can be had for $40 at a few places.  This was the freedom series, most of them are SS barrels which are pretty good shooting barrels.  

If you are looking at piecing together a build instead of buying a parts kit then there are a lot more options, you can build a pretty awesome AR for the $500-600 price range with everything being pretty much top tier.  The PSA Premium BCG is a great BCG and I have a few of them myself which can be had for $70-90ish depending on sale price.  Another great option for a BCG is the AIM V2 Nitrated BCG for $100 shipped (this would be my first pick probably).  For lower build kits you can't beat PSA, I just got one of their MOE LPK's with an ALG QPS trigger for $60, the trigger alone is like $40 or more separately so this is a good deal.  But typically regular LPK's are around $40-50 depending on what ya want.  Buffer tube kits can be had from DeltaTeamTactical for $23.  Upper receivers can be had a few places for around $40-50 for stripped upper and add $15-20 more for the Forward assist/Port Door.  Usually these cheap uppers are Andersons, which are fine uppers, Schyuler Arms has $60 blem Aero uppers complete right now.  And for barrels there are countless great ones out there now days.  My first pick would be Faxon Gunner barrels as I am a huge lightweight fan and these are great barrels in the $150ish price range but come without a FSB attached.  My next recommendation would be Ballistic Advantage, they also have great barrels just not as many lightweight ones but if you don't mind regular barrels and want one that comes with a FSB already installed then this is the place to go with many barrel options in the $150ish price range.  Green Mountain is another great one as well, they make very accurate barrels.  

I never hear anyone mention Model1Sales anymore, I don't think they are that popular now days with all the other new companies out there.  There are so many places you can order from.  My recommendation is to order the PSA Freedom or better yet the Premium line if you don't want to piece your own together.  But the ultimate best way is to piece it together with the parts you desire IMO.  Hard to beat a $400 complete PSA kit gun for a blaster though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#12]
The problem I have with PSA is it takes three years of your life before things show up - and that is if they show up correct the first time. Plus if you don't live in a free state regardless of how severe the ban is, they WILL NOT ship to you. For instance, my old state banned magazine size but they wouldn't ship anything which was kind of dumb. I've dealt with Primary Arms and never had an issue. Rock River Arms also makes a great kit. I generally don't use the supplied trigger or grip so I order accordingly. If PSA DOES ship to you, they always blow out kits for next to nothing. There are only so many ways to skin a cat and only so many ways to make a mil-spec parts kit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#13]
PSA is really hard to beat
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

not true
Barrels
uppers, handguards, bcg's
lower build kit
upper kits, lower kits, LPK
I've had better faster service from many other web stores, I've also found quality to be much better at other discount Etailers
just shop around a bit, better deals and better/same quality can be had for same or less money.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
not true
Barrels
uppers, handguards, bcg's
lower build kit
upper kits, lower kits, LPK
I've had better faster service from many other web stores, I've also found quality to be much better at other discount Etailers
just shop around a bit, better deals and better/same quality can be had for same or less money.
View Quote

As always, YMMV... but I bought a LPK (without trigger, since I had a decent one in my parts box) from outdoorsportsusa.com for a cheapo 9mm PCC, and was not happy with it. The lower went together fine, but the machining on the takedown pin left much to be desired. Specifically, the channel where the detent rides is very rough. So it takes a bit of force to push out the pin. I'll eventually take a bit of emery cloth to it, but still... shouldn't have to do that. (But then again, the LPK was only $20. So I guess it was worth it. Depends on how the gun holds up when it's got some more rounds through it.)

When shopping for LPK's, I've had good luck with the "customizable" AR Stoner kits from Midway. You can find them on sale occasionally for around $30 or $35. Not a bad deal if you're going to use an upgraded trigger.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As always, YMMV... but I bought a LPK (without trigger, since I had a decent one in my parts box) from outdoorsportsusa.com for a cheapo 9mm PCC, and was not happy with it. The lower went together fine, but the machining on the takedown pin left much to be desired. Specifically, the channel where the detent rides is very rough. So it takes a bit of force to push out the pin. I'll eventually take a bit of emery cloth to it, but still... shouldn't have to do that. (But then again, the LPK was only $20. So I guess it was worth it. Depends on how the gun holds up when it's got some more rounds through it.)

When shopping for LPK's, I've had good luck with the "customizable" AR Stoner kits from Midway. You can find them on sale occasionally for around $30 or $35. Not a bad deal if you're going to use an upgraded trigger.
View Quote

The best builder LPK deal I have found so far is the Windham one for $30.  You still get the grip too (I wish I could find a use for unwanted A2 grips)

My dad has a barrel from Sanders, it looks and performs nice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've only bought receiver extension and extended take down pins from them, oh and a armorer tool, been happy with all

best LPK i've bought was a RRA, everything was machined well and good mil spec trigger too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Just to throw an option out there, Red Barn Armory has an option with a basic kit that you can select upgraded options for almost any component. I've had good luck with them in the past.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/barrels best prices on barrels
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Red Barn Armory also has a 5% Military Discount! 
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Another option is CDNN sports. Theirs comes with a case. I am putting one together now from PSA with free shipping. I watch the sales and free shipping. Even got a good kit on sale at Brownells.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just to throw an option out there, Red Barn Armory has an option with a basic kit that you can select upgraded options for almost any component. I've had good luck with them in the past.
View Quote

I build my own at White Oak. I don't buy a grip or FCG, and think I pay something like $35 before shipping.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top