Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2016 4:37:28 PM EDT
Wanted to get some thoughts regarding the election and it impacting the price and availability of parts.  I am starting to piece together a custom build with 0 parts on hand.  I would like to start buying parts here and there but what I don't want to happen is for me to drag my feet, Hillary win the election, and then the price of parts sky rocket and availability becomes super scarce.  Saying all of that, what do you guys think should be the first parts to buy so I'm not paying an arm and a leg for something or can't find it in the next 60-120 days.

Maybe I am a little paranoid but I saw what happened to the price of stuff in 2008.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Upper,  lower, barrel,  bcg and magazines is what I'd guess will suffer from the election, why not get it all at once? Unless it's a financial issue in which case those are the parts I'd get first
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My emphasis has been on: lowers, mags and ammo. I think the other items won't come under any kind of proposed legislation. But the prices may go up as noted in OP.

Oh yeah, and on a different tangent: auto loading pistols.

Cheers!
-JC

ETA: Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Wanted to get some thoughts regarding the election and it impacting the price and availability of parts.  I am starting to piece together a customer build with 0 parts on hand.  I would like to start buying parts here and there but what I don't want to happen is for me to drag my feet, Hillary win the election, and then the price of parts sky rocket and availability becomes super scarce.  Saying all of that, what do you guys think should be the first parts to buy so I'm not paying an arm and a leg for something or can't find it in the next 60-120 days.

Maybe I am a little paranoid but I saw what happened to the price of stuff in 2008.
View Quote

you don't have enough time to piece a gun together, waiting for sales and what not.  Have your customer pay upfront and you can buy it all this week. If she gets elected, the panic will be immediate.

I saw BCG's, LPK's and Mags go first.  You could get some but for twice the normal price, then after about a month, you couldn't get anything.  Then the manufacturers couldn't get parts to make whole guns, so whole guns went bye bye as did kits.  Then if the manufacturers did get parts in they wouldn't sell them, because it limited their ability to sell whole guns.  It got so bad that the manufacturers of bolts for instance couldn't get Carpenter 158 Steel, because the mills that make it only do a few runs a year, so the bolt manufacturers started offering different steels for the carriers and bolts and it still wasn't enough to keep up.  Combine the 2 Obama terms in with several mass shooting panics and here we are. We are just now starting to rebound from the whole thing, 8 years after Obama got elected and on the verge of another one taking office.

Spend the money for the build now..

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#4]
When Trump wins prices will go up but at a slower incline.  Prices always go up.  Get some parts and please vote.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If he can't buy it all now I would let the customer buy the parts so if he gets caught in the lurch of the market going dry/south he is the one with the worry.  Give him advice or whatever but let him take the heat.  You get the thing half built and he may not want to pay you for half a gun.

My current build is a lower, upper, UPK and hopefully a LPK before the crap hits the fan again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Your building a rifle for a customer, So that means you have a FFL, which you need by federal law, in order to build a firearm for a customer. As an FFL you should have accounts setup for FFL pricing, if not your not doing it right and need to reevaluate your business plan.

If you don't have the FFL then you just confessed to a felony in a public forum. If you do have an FFL re-read above.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Not counting the consumer-driven hysteria that pushes prices up across the board, I would bet magazines over 10 round capacity are first on her list.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have to be either a Type 07 or a Class II to assemble a rifle AND pay ITAR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your building a rifle for a customer, So that means you have a FFL, which you need by federal law, in order to build a firearm for a customer. As an FFL you should have accounts setup for FFL pricing, if not your not doing it right and need to reevaluate your business plan.

If you don't have the FFL then you just confessed to a felony in a public forum. If you do have an FFL re-read above.

You have to be either a Type 07 or a Class II to assemble a rifle AND pay ITAR.

This is true. I've paid the Itar and have the t shirt
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Big typo...I typed a customer build and I meant a custom build.  I was wondering why people kept talking about a customer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Lower parts kits for sure. After Dec '12 you could find them anywhere and if you did they up in the $100 range for a off brand kit.

Ammo cause a gun is just an expensive club without it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
... lowers, mags and ammo...
View Quote

This. And in that order too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Big typo...I typed a customer build and I meant a custom build.  I was wondering why people kept talking about a customer.
View Quote

Good save.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top