Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2016 3:06:54 PM EDT
Hi guys. One of my rifles is an Oracle I picked up a few years ago and its my least favorite. I am thinking I'd like to change it a bit more to my liking.
What I really want to do is ditch the handguard and put a free float simple round aluminum handguard on and scope it and put a cool muzle break on it.
The front gas block sight base has me wondering what to do.

Anyone have any ideas for a good handguard for it and how it would work with the front base? Would I remove that and just have a low pro gasblock inside the
Guard? Is that sight base on the oracle really difficult to remove?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There are lots of options for Drop In front rails.
I believe UTGs go for around $50.00.

Edit: ok so maybe $70.00.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2612198494/utg-pro-2-piece-handguard-quad-rail-ar-15-carbine-length
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You are on the right track.

But yes, more than likely you'll need to change out the gas block to a low profile one to fit under a free float handguard unless you got a really short one.

It's not that difficult of a job if you are at least a little mechanically inclined. However if you don't have the tools already you may be better off getting a gunsmith to do the work for you.

ETA: if you are looking to improve your accuracy don't forget to look at your trigger. Alot of factory GI triggers are pretty crumby (and I'm not trigger snob).

Look at things like the ALG ACT trigger it the BCM PNT trigger. Not terribly expensive but a big improvement over most factory GI type triggers.

Quoted:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2612198494/utg-pro-2-piece-handguard-quad-rail-ar-15-carbine-length
View Quote

But drop-in does not = free float.

I will add that those UTG Pro handguards are pretty nice. They have a lot of options.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But yes, more than likely you'll need to change out the gas block to a low profile one to fit under a free float handguard unless you got a really short one.

It's not that difficult of a job if you are at least a little mechanically inclined. However if you don't have the tools already you may be better off getting a gunsmith to do the work for you.

ETA: if you are looking to improve your accuracy don't forget to look at your trigger. Alot of factory GI triggers are pretty crumby (and I'm not trigger snob).

Look at things like the ALG ACT trigger it the BCM PNT trigger. Not terribly expensive but a big improvement over most factory GI type triggers.

I will add that those UTG Pro handguards are pretty nice. They have a lot of options.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. You got exactly what I am after.
I want the long tube that just leaves a little barrel exposed, looks awesome that way. Will do a trigger swap too.
Want to get free floated, scoped and better trigger and then use it for my coyote gun, or fun at the range gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting the FSB off can sometimes be a real bear.  I had one where the pins would not budge. I destroyed at least one punch in the process. Try it yourself, but if the pins don't move with reasonable force STOP before you destroy your barrel.  I sent mine to Adco who did it for a small fee (like $15 I think).  They use a press which is the best way.  Adco is also an excellent shop for pinning/welding muzzle devices etc. And they'll do custom work too for VERY reasonable cost.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Getting the FSB off can sometimes be a real bear.  I had one where the pins would not budge. I destroyed at least one punch in the process. Try it yourself, but if the pins don't move with reasonable force STOP before you destroy your barrel.  I sent mine to Adco who did it for a small fee (like $15 I think).  They use a press which is the best way.  Adco is also an excellent shop for pinning/welding muzzle devices etc. And they'll do custom work too for VERY reasonable cost.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/

View Quote

Thanks for the input! I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Shaving down the front sight post/gas block and then installing a FF handguard is a simple option also.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shaving down the front sight post/gas block and then installing a FF handguard is a simple option also.
View Quote

You and your Dremel get the hell out of here
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
A guy here at work  brought in an upper last week...tried to remove the front sight post, looked like he used a mini jackhammer. Bet that for every strike he landed on a pin, he missed 3.
Shaved and blended it for him, covered with his new rail, VOILA! TACTICAL.
Just easier for some.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Where is a good place to aquire a good free float keymod on the cheap, like 60-80$?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where is a good place to aquire a good free float keymod on the cheap, like 60-80$?
View Quote

There is actually a semi decent made keymod rail out there that is under $100 but I can't think of their damn name right now... I'm sure I'll remember in the middle of the the night tonight.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is actually a semi decent made keymod rail out there that is under $100 but I can't think of their damn name right now... I'm sure I'll remember in the middle of the the night tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok cool, thanks man!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Damn, they have some excellent prices! Is their quality pretty good? Also is it a fiasco on shipping times?
Thanks for the referral, seems like an awesome site for budget gear!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I know a few people that have bought their stuff from that website.

Seem to be a little better than the airsoft parts you buy on ebay, etc.. probably since they at least claim to finish the items in the US.

Otherwise I don't have any information on them.

Just remember you usually get what you pay for, but as long as you go into it knowing that, and hey its $50, worth a shot to me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Whats your cost limit?  Because you can do both keep "drop-in" style and go free float while keeping your front sight post! Google these options

1. Daniel Defense Omega Rail 7.0
2. Vltor CASV-EL
3. Troy Delta or Charlie Battlerail

All 3 work on a Drop-in system, make your hand guard Free Float and let you keep the front sight post in tact

also try to find

4. Centurion Carbine cut-out Rail
5. Fortis Carbine cut-out rail
6. Midwest Industries Gen 2 free float 2 part carbine cut-out

Those last 3 (4-6) require the removal of the delta ring &spring pack (cutting them off is not so bad)
But for sure look up all of those options before hacking away at your front sight post!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ok cool, thanks man!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok cool, thanks man!

Matrix offers cheap USA hand guards at roughly $50 + S&H. I used one on a budget lightweight build and it hasn't disappointed. Its fairly new to me so I don't have extended use feedback for you. I dont think its battle worthy, but we'll see how it holds up as time goes on.
http://www.chandlerhardwoods.com/product-p/ar15-11c.htm
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone have any ideas for a good handguard for it and how it would work with the front base? Would I remove that and just have a low pro gasblock inside the
Guard? Is that sight base on the oracle really difficult to remove?

Thanks!
View Quote

From what I've seen, the Oracle uses a low-rise railed gas block (pictures all over the web showing the rail on the block is well below the rail on most handguards out there). A larger diameter handguard should slide over that block. If you have a smaller tube or just don't want that big blocky obscene looking thing with a rail showing through your handguard, It is easy enough to remove by loosening the two set screws on the bottom of the block.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Do your homework first, all I will say about DTT this tine around. There are a few threads on this company already here, usually get locked down quickly.
Know what you are in for prior to committing.

Also, as noted by another member, pretty sure all Oracle carbines come with railed gas block. Easy to swap out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no affiliation with 223handguard.com. I bought a 15" keymod from them last month that was $68. Fit and finish is excellent and it feels very solid.

They have the aluminum tubes you might like.

http://www.223handguard.com/category-s/116.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=116&show=120&page=1

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#20]
If you will never go back just cut down the FSB.

ALG EMR
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top