Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2016 7:06:49 PM EDT
https://billet80.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_62&product_id=121

Has anyone ever used one of these? What upper do they use? and how reliable are they?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the BRS upper receiver.

A KS47 upper would work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
how reliable is it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

how reliable is it?
View Quote
Magic 8 ball says ask again later....like when it's built.

I have no doubts it will be fine. I've built many 80's now. Not a single issue with any of them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I am building one now.

Let me share what I've learned (the hard way).

First of all, the 80% receiver is nicely made, and was easily completed with my Modulus jig.
Here's where it gets tricky: AK mags are fatter than AR mags, and they seat higher up into the upper receiver.

To allow the mag to seat properly, you need to fit the upper and lower receivers together, turn them upside down, and then you can easily see (and mark) where metal needs to be removed (from the upper) to allow the mags to seat properly (by looking inside through the magazine well).
Easy-peazy.

But... (and it's a big butt), after milling away the "just right" amount of metal, the walls of the upper are incredibly thin. Thin like a Somali with cancer.

By good fortune, I also had a DPMS Lo Pro upper, and the walls are thick enough that removing that metal doesn't effect it all. And it's not expensive. And, it doesn't have a FA, which I actually wanted

So, I'll finish it with up with Lo Pro upper, and shoot it that way for awhile. Meanwhile, I'm going to try to TIG some aluminum on the outside of the regular upper to thicken up the areas where metal was milled away.

All because I didn't want to pay $199 for the Billett80.com that is made for the receiver (which still seems like too much money to me).

G.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  Meanwhile, I'm going to try to TIG some aluminum on the outside of the regular upper to thicken up the areas where metal was milled away.
View Quote

That upper is almost certainly 7075.  I don't think there's an approved welding procedure for 7075.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That upper is almost certainly 7075.  I don't think there's an approved welding procedure for 7075.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  Meanwhile, I'm going to try to TIG some aluminum on the outside of the regular upper to thicken up the areas where metal was milled away.

IIRC you are correct.

And the reason why I ponied up the extra for the BRS upper was because I knew for a fact opening up a standard upper would leave it too thin.....and my OCD matchy-matchy said so

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Relevant to my interests and passing the info.  

From the Variants Forum
Milling out an AR upper to except x39 AK Mags
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top