Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You already have an adjustable gas key.  An adjustable gas block is redundant.  If you want the lightest gas black on the market, Battle Arms Development has one that's under half an ounce.  

Brownells has some muzzle devices that aren't specifically designed for ARs but are long enough to pin and are .625" so that you'd still be able to change your gas block.  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/1-muzzle-brake-22-caliber-prod86892.aspx

If you just want the lightest muzzle device, other than a thread protector, Arson Machine has a new version of their A-Hole out that only weighs 0.7 ounces.

If you don't have your receivers yet, V7 has the lightest.  2A has a set that's a fraction of an ounce heavier for a much lower price.  BAD has a set that's about the same price as the 2A but is a fraction heavier.

View Quote

Thank you! Its not all about weight for my build, but it is important. The RCA BCG w/AGK may not stay in this build. I would still like to be able to adjust gas if its not, and not have to swap gas blocks around either. It will also give me a perfect opportunity to compare the abilities of the AGK next to the AGB! The Arson Mach. comp is pretty awesome looking though and very tempting at that price.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Does it affect the barrels rigidity at all? Does it adversely affect harmonics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone please explain to me why someone would want a fluted barrel? Other than looks!

Reduces weight and adds surface area for cooling.

Can it?

Yes, absolutely, but that depends on the individual barrel and its design.  

If you start with an already lightweight barrel and then flute it, you will likely have a lot of rigidity and harmonic issues.

The converse is also true, a heavier barrel will likely have fewer issues when fluted.

I have a mid-weight 18" fluted 4150 CMV barrel and its a very accurate shooter with good harmonics, however each barrel is its own unique animal and you would need to find the round/load that works best with your particular barrel for the best consistency.

With all that said, a fluted barrel just looks flippin' cool too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Can it?

If you start with an already lightweight barrel and then flute it, you will likely have a lot of rigidity and harmonic issues.

The converse is also true, a heavier barrel will likely have fewer issues when fluted.

I have a mid-weight 18" fluted 4150 CMV barrel and its a very accurate shooter with good harmonics, however each barrel is its own unique animal and you would need to find the round/load that works best with your particular barrel for the best consistency.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone please explain to me why someone would want a fluted barrel? Other than looks!

Reduces weight and adds surface area for cooling.

Can it?

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Is a lightweight compensator worth the cost of less recoil reduction?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's something only you can answer for yourself.

I would use a standard A2 flash hider to start, then try some friends' ARs with brakes before you spend the coin.

You may be surprised how little recoil an AR actually has.

I use A2 flash hiders on my 16" AR's and a VooDoo Manimal (a really skinny A2 type) on my 14.5" and I'm happy with those.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Now I'm waiting on my 14.5" Faxon GUNNER barrel to get back in stock.

Any input on gas tubes would be helpful!
View Quote

Firearms For Less has Faxon 14.5 Gunner Barrels in stock for $164.00 with free shipping. I bought a 14.5 Gunner from them & they had fast shipping.

Rainier Arms Black Nitride Gas Tube $14.95

You can use the Hydra-Fire Roller Cam Pin With your Rubber City Armory Ti Bolt Carrier without modifying your Adjustable Gas Key. The POF Roller Cam Pin Upgrade Kit with Gas Key will need the POF Gas Key or grinding the RCA Adjustable Gas Key.

POF-USA Roller Cam Pin vs Hydra-Fire Roller Cam Pin - YouTube Video Link:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=llOnufQ1zrY

You might also like this Barrel Black Creek Arsenal 16" Optimal Barrel  BRT extended length gas system. Weigh of 24oz .625 Gas Block, Melonite QPQ. BRT extended length gas system is longer than the standard mid-length, but shorter than the Noveske Intermediate length. This barrel will be out in December and is made by Faxon. You will not have to Pin & Weld Flash Hide/Muzzle Brake. They are Pre-Order with Gas Block & Free Gas Tube for $239.00. I was going to buy this barrel but bought Stretch Precision Phantom before BRT Optimum was available for pre-order.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure about a comp but a suppressor is.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I'm not ready for that expense just yet! But, I do see it in the near future...
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Alright peeps, who has a titanium firing pin they want to donate to the cause?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Don't do it.  Unless you're willing to replace it regularly they're not worth the marginally faster lock times.  

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't do it.  Unless you're willing to replace it regularly they're not worth the marginally faster lock times.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was hoping you would chime in!
What do you think about the feedback I got below?

That's light. I recommend the reciprocating mass for an AR15 be around 10 oz WITH reduced power buffer spring. Your are 1-2 oz short with JP SCS with weights removed, but it can be done. F = m * A. if the mass (m) goes down, the A (acceleration) goes up and your BCG speed goes through the roof FAST. The faster the BCG cycles, the harder it is for the magazine to push a round in front of the bolt, and the more wear you get or your BCG and hammer. The solution then is to reduce F (force). F is your spring. The less spring, the less the A acceleration. The JP SCS offers 80 to 85% of a standard springs force AND it loses less energy to "sproing" like regular springs. This means a JP90 spring might run on less gas than a 10% reduced power standard buffer spring.

My 18" rifle uses JP SCS WITH steel weights on + ALUMINUN ULMOS + Hiperfire 24C + adjustable gas block. It is reliable when set to barely lock back every time. I used it for 3 matches with the gas set to load the next round, but not always lock back and I got burned under the clock doing that once with a short stroke after the gun got dirty. Since then I set the gas to lock back like everyone else. I have tried it with the weights removed and it jammed a few times. Mostly the rounds would fail to be pushed up fully in front of the bolt. The gun kicked no less than it did with the weights on, so I put them back on. The JP ULMOS does allow for a working forward assist that most steel LMOS do not. click here for 18" 3 gun build
(note: I have put my suppressor on this gun and it ran just fine. The RIFLE gas system covers a lot of sins up. However, switching ammo turned the gun into a bolt action. The gas has to be tuned not just for CAN vs NO CAN, but also each time you change ammo.

My 12.5" MIDLENGTH SBR uses the JP SCS with weights removed + JP STEEL LMOS + Hiperfire 24C + adjustable gas block + Suppressor. It don't jam except with Freedom Munitions 77gr (even then more gas makes it sing again)........... click here for 12.5 SBR for 3 gun
However, I never got it to run reliably with ALUMINUM carrier + Suppressor + ANY lightweight buffer combination ( plus it got dirty after 5 shots). It took AT LEAST the JP SCS with weights on to run. I never tried to get it to work WITHOUT the suppressor, but I bet bare barrel could be made to work. ALUMINUM bolt carrier + suppressor is a bad combination.

POF roller bolt cam pin is only necessary if using very weak recoil springs, but I like it. TITANIUM firing pin is a must with ALUMINUM bolt carrier like the ULMOS because the BCG is cycling faster than normal and slamming the firing pin against the primer. A soft primer + ULMOS + standard firing pin + stiff buffer spring might close fast enough to ignite the round.

It will work with the POF roller bolt cam pin IF...IF.. you are very good with a dremel or mill. You have to grind the carrier key to clear the installation of the POF roller cam. I have done this 3 times. The trick is to NOT take away too much material. Actually, one of mine I had to press the roller in and cant get it back out cause I did not quite take enough off. If I ever want to remove that bolt I will have to do more dremeling which I don't mind. If you remove too much material you will probably blow a hole in the key which could also blow a hole in the upper receiver right in front of your face. Don't screw up. An alternative would be to simply remove the Rubber city adjustable key and install the one from POF that is already clearanced for the roller follower. And last you could get a new set of gas key machine screws, remove the rubber city gas key, permanently install the bolt and roller follower, then put the Rubber City key back on with Loctite and new machine screws. I would consider the firing pin a permanent install as well so the bolt cam does not turn out of alignment. What the POF roller bolt cam pin does is make sure the weakest spring you can run will still be able to chamber a round and not have to fight the resistance of the bolt cam pin dragging the inside of the upper receiver. Also, I use the JP enhances gas ring over the standard 3 piece ring. With the JP enhanced gas ring + POF roller cam follower a steel BCG will close under gravity with virtually no drag. ULMOS + JP enhances rings + POF roller cam will close with a light push or jolt.

Your build should work, but the low weight of your reciprocating mass means you may have to adjust the gas block for different loads which means the Rubber city adjustment would be useless. You will need an externally adjustable gas block.
-Your Rubber City Titanium BCG
-Replace Rubber City Key with POF key, new bolts, Loctite key on BC, Loctite and re-stake new bolts
-POF roller cam pin
JP enhances gas rings
JP titanium AR15 firing pin
-SCS with weights removed and JP80 white spring. If you cant get the gun reliable, just put the weights back on and readjust the gas
-Hiperfire 24c or any other trigger equipped with a JP Yellow hammer spring. You would have a titanium firing pin so the yellow should ignite anything.
-externally adjustable gas block = SLR, Syrac Ordnance, or that new bypass model.

Please give me your .02, if you don't mind. I do have the standard pin that came with the RCA.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I run much lighter than 10 ounces, I've never had any issues.  If you're outrunning your mag springs, you need new springs.  Mags can keep up with 1,400 RPM, so they'll handle a lightweight BCG just fine.  

Instead of tuning your rifle to just barely run, get the weakest ammo you'll be shooting through it.  Open your adjustment until it locks back on an empty mag then go another quarter turn.  Lock it in this position and you'll be good to go with whatever ammo you want to shoot.  I'd do this even for a game gun.  You could show up to a match and be short on ammo and need to borrow someone elses or the only ammo you could find the night before wasn't what your gun was tuned to.  

An externally adjustable gas block only makes it easier to adjust the gas, the RCA gas key still does the exact same thing.  You can tune the RCA gas key to individual loads as well, it's just going to be more of a pain in the ass.  But if you tune it to the weakest load you'll be using, you'll be fine anyway.  

I only use steel firing pins and I've never had a slam fire.  I don't use soft primers and wouldn't recommend them in any AR regardless of what the firing pin is made of.

If you really want a roller cam pin, get the hyperfire, it works with any gas key.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, use what you've got now, worry about replacing it if you have any issues.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you, it amazes me how many different ways of thinking are out there and they are usually really convincing to me! LOL
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank you, it amazes me how many different ways of thinking are out there and they are usually really convincing to me! LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my $0.02, but I completely agree with JoshAston.  His experience mirrors mine.  My reciprocating mass is just around 8 oz, and with gas block tuning, it cycles weak .223 (PMC) to strong 5.56 (IMI) very reliably, yet it still is a very soft shooter.  I use steel firing pins as well, and have had no slam fire issues.  Honestly, because of the gas block tuning, and the reduced power spring, the cycling speed is not excessively fast.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

First link has MagPul handguard, can be had with normal round handguard.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-pencil-profile-moe-freedom-upper-w-out-bcg-or-ch.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?manufacturer=8&upper_barrel_profile=1384

View Quote
I have that upper. Makes for a nice rifle. Light and handy.

Ignore the crappy optic.

ETA: build the lower and add the upper on your FIRST one. After that, well . . .

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ignore the crappy optic.
ETA: build the lower and add the upper on your FIRST one. After that, well . . .
http://i.imgur.com/tHajp8h.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First link has MagPul handguard, can be had with normal round handguard.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-pencil-profile-moe-freedom-upper-w-out-bcg-or-ch.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?manufacturer=8&upper_barrel_profile=1384
Ignore the crappy optic.
http://i.imgur.com/tHajp8h.jpg

That's a really nice looking AR! What stock is that exactly?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#18]
So... I'm pondering the fact that the PWS EBT Mod2 receiver extension comes with this heavy steel endplate/castle nut set and I have a brilliant idea.
Give your .02 on this calorie counters.
OK, the tube has an "anti-carrier tilt lip extension thingy" that traps the buffer detent.
Now , technically its doing the same thing as an endplate would do right? Limiting rotation of the extension.
So could I drop the endplate and just use a lightweight castle nut? Even if I have to have a new detent turned to fit the "anti-carrier tilt lip extension thingy" better.
I am using the JP SCS buffer, so I don't actually have to have a detent. Also the rear takedown pin detent is held in by a screw so no worry there.
What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you thought about using an ace fixed stock? I'm interested to see how your build comes out. I was thinking that my dad and I could put together an upper for my sister. We have a 16inch faxon gunner laying around, I'm considering upgrading my troy alpha 13 to the carbon fiber one so I could give the 13 to my sister. She's about your size, I would want to get her a low mass BCG and adjustable gas block. I'd probably run a surefire pro comp on it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Maybe take a look at the Magpul SL-K stock?
I have two "light weight" builds with them and really like them.
Just a thought...
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you looked at getting the POF anti-tilt tube, plus the V7 aluminum castle nut and end plate?  I'd wager the end result would be lighter and still close to the same price.

Also, don't put much stock in the anti-tilt stuff unless you're running a piston system.  If you wear out the extension(tube), buy another one for $15 or $20.  

All prices are full MSRP:

PWS Gen 2 Receiver Extension $104.95

VS:

POF Anti-Tilt Receiver Extension $46.99
V7 Aluminum QD Endplate           $27.00
V7 Aluminum Castle Nut              $22.00

Total:                                            $95.99

Whatever you do, make sure it's made from 7075 not 6061.  I've bent two 6061 tubes mortaring...  I also have managed to bend a 7075 Colt charging handle as well so maybe it's just me!  
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Smoke composites makes a carbon fiber endplate. They also make a carbon fiber stock, it's by far the lightest on the market.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you thought about using an ace fixed stock? I'm interested to see how your build comes out. I was thinking that my dad and I could put together an upper for my sister. We have a 16inch faxon gunner laying around, I'm considering upgrading my troy alpha 13 to the carbon fiber one so I could give the 13 to my sister. She's about your size, I would want to get her a low mass BCG and adjustable gas block. I'd probably run a surefire pro comp on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So PWS sent me their Gen2 receiver extension at a substantially reduced cost for review, and to be honest it is crazy light (less than 3 oz.). The endplate/castle nut not so much.

Quoted:
Maybe take a look at the Magpul SL-K stock?
I have two "light weight" builds with them and really like them.
Just a thought...

I am really considering picking one of these up.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you looked at getting the POF anti-tilt tube, plus the V7 aluminum castle nut and end plate?  I'd wager the end result would be lighter and still close to the same price.

Also, don't put much stock in the anti-tilt stuff unless you're running a piston system.  If you wear out the extension(tube), buy another one for $15 or $20.  

All prices are full MSRP:

PWS Gen 2 Receiver Extension $104.95

VS:

POF Anti-Tilt Receiver Extension $46.99
V7 Aluminum QD Endplate           $27.00
V7 Aluminum Castle Nut              $22.00

Total:                                            $95.99

Whatever you do, make sure it's made from 7075 not 6061.  I've bent two 6061 tubes mortaring...  I also have managed to bend a 7075 Colt charging handle as well so maybe it's just me!  
View Quote

Do you have a weight on the POF extension tube? I cant find it anywhere...

Already had my eye on the V7 Castle Nut, it only weighs 6.7 grams. I think its made of 7068.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Already had my eye on the V7 Castle Nut, it only weighs 6.7 grams. I think its made of 7068.
View Quote

Looks like about 4oz or less from what I've found.  I weighed my Vltor A5 tube and it's 4.3oz.  Being that the Vltor tube is longer than the POF, it stands to reason that the POF would be a bit lighter.  Unfortunately, I don't have any other losoe receiver extensions lying around to weigh at the moment.  

It appears that PWS is able to drop weight by using 6061 instead of 7075 and scalloping the tube.  To me, the $104 MSRP is too much for a 6061 tube, castle nut(as cool as it is) and end plate.  I always stake my castle nuts.  Just a little torque and they loosen right up.  For the life of me, I don't understand why people are so scared to stake theirs.  

Either way, don't skip the plate, especially if you use a V7 one.  It does it's main job of alignment but it also has a QD provision.  Do you think you'll eventually run a sling?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looks like about 4oz or less from what I've found.  I weighed my Vltor A5 tube and it's 4.3oz.  Being that the Vltor tube is longer than the POF, it stands to reason that the POF would be a bit lighter.  Unfortunately, I don't have any other losoe receiver extensions lying around to weigh at the moment.  

It appears that PWS is able to drop weight by using 6061 instead of 7075 and scalloping the tube.  To me, the $104 MSRP is too much for a 6061 tube, castle nut(as cool as it is) and end plate.  I always stake my castle nuts.  Just a little torque and they loosen right up.  For the life of me, I don't understand why people are so scared to stake theirs.  

Either way, don't skip the plate, especially if you use a V7 one.  It does it's main job of alignment but it also has a QD provision.  Do you think you'll eventually run a sling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The PWS tube is impact extruded 7075 aluminum that is beautifully machined then Mil-Spec Type III hard anodized black which matches my Spikes Billet Gen2 receiver set perfectly.
(I will post my review shortly)

I probably will use a sling eventually, and I may just use the V7 endplate/castle nut. I definitely wont be using the PWS ones though, maybe some one would like to take them off my hands? PM me

I found the weight online for the POF tube finally and it is 4oz.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Check out the first part of my review on the PWS inc. Mod2
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#28]
So I dropped a hint before Christmas to Rubber City about wanting an adjustable gas key that is compatible with the roller style cam pins we tend to use. Well, I was kindly notified a couple weeks ago that "ALL" RCA gas keys moving forward will include that small radius cut at no added cost to us!

Help me show support for a company that listens to the consumer by liking their FB page and ordering your next BCG from them directly. Ask for Jeff and tell them PalmettoRed86 sent you!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top