User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/17/2016 3:34:38 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

I shot my first AR-15 about a month ago and fell in love, but I have a problem. I am a 110# 5'-4" Lady, and the ARs I held were all far too heavy for me. Soooo... I am going to build my own lightweight one!!!  Has anyone built one for a lady my size? Anyone have some advice on parts? Any guidance or info is appreciated, thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
First link has MagPul handguard, can be had with normal round handguard.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-pencil-profile-moe-freedom-upper-w-out-bcg-or-ch.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?manufacturer=8&upper_barrel_profile=1384
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody else has any input? I'm trying to build an AR here, not slap together an upper & lower!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
How deep do you want to get into it, there are a lot of options for shorter stocks and such, the receivers are all going to be the same size, but do you want to install your own barrels, or buy complete uppers.

Let us know how deep you want to get into this and I am sure some of us will be more than happy to help you out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
faxon light weight barrel and a light short handguard will save some weight.  Her is my wifes-she could have saved a little weight with a smaller handguard but the Primary Arms one was on sale

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My daughter is in your weight class, and she does just fine with a Colt 6920 - with magpul furniture.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to put together every component myself! Install the barrel, gas block, trigger, etc.. I have a vice in the garage with a set of tools I got off midway. I've been reading and reading and reading! I need help selecting pieces though and would like all the input ya'll can give! I want to make good informed decision and not expensive mistakes!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
faxon light weight barrel and a light short handguard will save some weight.  Her is my wifes-she could have saved a little weight with a smaller handguard but the Primary Arms one was on sale

<a href="http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/dempsy1/media/Gun%20swap/20150819_184516.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/dempsy1/Gun%20swap/20150819_184516.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is beautiful!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
As a general setup I would go with:

Forged Upper/Lower
Quality LPK
Full Auto Rated BCG
16" midlength gas system Lightweight barrel
~12" mlok or keymod handguard (I like ~12" handguards to cover my low profile gas block on midlength gas port)
A2 Flashhider
Magpul MOE grip and stock

Recommendations for fulfilling this build:
Magpul MOE Lower Build Kit from palmetto state armory for about $115 or $120. This includes lower parts kit and receiver extension with stock and pistol grip.
Any forged upper/lower stripped receivers will do.
Full auto rated BCG from palmetto state or AIM for $80-90
Charging handle for $15-20. Depends where you purchase, and also depends if you want to upgrade this. If you know this is a part you want to change from a regular CH, then I would do it to start.
Barrel from Faxon or Ballistic Advantage are good options, you can sometimes get them with the gas block with it.
Rail system is all preference so you just have to do looking at ALG, Geissele, or many other manufacturers. Prices vary dramatically from one company to another and handguards can get expensive.

I think you can build the rifle you are wanting for $700 or so if you don't end up upgrading trigger, charging handle, safety, and other misc parts. Definitely have to watch for daily deals and weekend deals for palmetto state, that's how to get good prices on everything.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a lot of Bad A$$ women out there fighting for what they believe in.
When it comes to building an AR only you can decide what works for you.
But that's the beauty of the AR platform. You build it as you like.
I tell people. You spend $100.00 a month buying parts and by the end of the year
you'll have a bad a.. firearm. But its all about the research.. you got to do your homework.

ok so no ARs her...but you get my point.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice thread.
Good luck with your AR project.

Please post pics of you and your build.

For solely educational purposes only. LOL

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a description of how I did it.   Going light isn't cheap, but the parts are readily available.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/654490_I_wanna_lose_weight.html

ETA:  There are also dedicated light-weight and ultra-light-weight threads.
Here's a related one:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/638524_Lightweight_Parts_List_with_WEIGHTS__AR_15_.html
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:16:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Dated a gal in your weight range and built a rifle for her at the time.  Hers was a 22 but if you use a lightweight carrier from aim and a lightweight barrel, and something like a fortis handguard or alg defense, you should be golden.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, you're a few inches taller than my wife, so I've been down this road before.

9 times out of 10, when a smaller person says that a gun is too heavy, it's really too long.   Collapse the stock as far as it will go, use a short, pencil-weight barrel(16", or even 14.5 w/pinned flash hider)  Don't do heavy handguards, plain plastic ones are great.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hi Everyone,

I shot my first AR-15 about a month ago and fell in love, but I have a problem. I am a 110# 5'-4" Lady, and the ARs I held were all far too heavy for me. Soooo... I am going to build my own lightweight one!!!  Has anyone built one for a lady my size? Anyone have some advice on parts? Any guidance or info is appreciated, thank you in advance!
View Quote
Red:  I say go for it, my lightweight AR weighs 4 lbs 7 oz with iron sights and no magazine.  A lightweight AR is a joy to hold, regardless of your own size.  The link in one of the notes above lists many of the candidate lightweight parts.  I consider the following the key parts to focus on:

- Pencil barrel, Faxon is the leader here, the ideal one is 16" long with threaded muzzle and mid-length gas port
- Handguard, I like Bravo Company's KMR10 model with a titanium barrel nut, rather expensive but very well made and light as a feather
- Bolt carrier, I like the lightweight models made by Rubber City Armory, the titanium one being the lightest
- Receiver extension and buttstock, the ideal part is the combination of these two parts into one made with carbon fiber composite from Smoke Composites
- Buffer and spring, check out the 1 oz buffer and special reduced strength spring from Taccom
- Grip, I like the K2 models from Magpul, very light and comfortable too

Note that with the lightweight reciprocating parts, you will need to have adjustable gas, either via an adjustable gas block, or an adjustable gas key.  Rubber City sells lightweight bolt/carrier assemblies with adjustable gas key already installed.  Easy to adjust once for your favorite ammo, then it stays put.  good luck - CW
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife has a build going. Specs that she has settlrd on so far are anderson upper, lower and lower parts kit. Dust cover from tanias tactical thats in muddy girl camo. Hogue beavertail grip and collapsable stock in purple. Alg defense has a few rails in different colors hers will be purple to match the other purple parts. Purple cerakoted charging handle and foreward assist from republic firearms. Pencil or gunner mid length barrel from faxon. Aim nitrided bolt carrier group, spikes st2 buffer dammage industries chrome silicon buffer spring. Alg act trigger. Muddy girl wraps on some pmags.i would post pics of what she has so far but cant seem to get pics on here. A lot of weight saving can be lighter barrel and handguard. You should use mid length gas system and at least an h buffer and full auto carrelier to help with reduced felt recooil.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Red:  I say go for it, my lightweight AR weighs 4 lbs 7 oz with iron sights and no magazine.  A lightweight AR is a joy to hold, regardless of your own size.  The link in one of the notes above lists many of the candidate lightweight parts.  I consider the following the key parts to focus on:

- Pencil barrel, Faxon is the leader here, the ideal one is 16" long with threaded muzzle and mid-length gas port
- Handguard, I like Bravo Company's KMR10 model with a titanium barrel nut, rather expensive but very well made and light as a feather
- Bolt carrier, I like the lightweight models made by Rubber City Armory, the titanium one being the lightest
- Receiver extension and buttstock, the ideal part is the combination of these two parts into one made with carbon fiber composite from Smoke Composites
- Buffer and spring, check out the 1 oz buffer and special reduced strength spring from Taccom

Note that with the lightweight reciprocating parts, you will need to have adjustable gas, either via an adjustable gas block, or an adjustable gas key.  Rubber City sells lightweight bolt/carrier assemblies with adjustable gas key already installed.  Easy to adjust once for your favorite ammo, then it stays put.  good luck - CW
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much, I have been looking at the Rubber City Armory Titanium complete BCG w/adj. gas key as a really good option. I also am interested in the 14.5" Gunner Barrel from Faxon for its lightweight but still seems pretty rugged. I'm definitely going to look into the other parts you listed!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#19]
You might have to tinker a bit if you lighten the bolt carrier and go adjustable gas block. Sometimes this can lead to reliability issues. Not always but its possible. Just saying
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You might have to tinker a bit if you lighten the bolt carrier and go adjustable gas block. Sometimes this can lead to reliability issues. Not always but its possible. Just saying
View Quote

Thank you! I can use every bit of help I can get. Why does everyone seem to go for the mid-length gas system on competition ARs?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#21]
get the parts you want and put an adjustable buttstock on it
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Mid length gas seems to soften/smooth out perceived recoil,  this would be good especially if you are trying to get this rifle as light as you can. It also tends not to overgas the action and not be as hard on the internals so they say.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#23]
This is the wife's SBR. You could do something similar with a 16" Light Weight setup.
Can't say enough good things about the products from ... Faxon & ALG. Great quality for the money.

And.... here with her 300BLK upper on. KAK is another company you may want to look into. I've been more than pleased with their products.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife is a couple inches shorter than you and she handles her AR pretty well. A basic rifle would serve you well. I built her a pink one that she loves. Even had it engraved on the dust cover with our anniversary. I built her another one that is more of a duty weapon than a range toy and she does fine with that one too. They are basic rifles with a red dot, light and foregrip.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is the wife's SBR. You could do something similar with a 16" Light Weight setup.
Can't say enough good things about the products from ... Faxon & ALG. Great quality for the money.

<a href="http://imgur.com/5Ip2tWD" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/5Ip2tWD.jpg</a>

And.... here with her 300BLK upper on. KAK is another company you may want to look into. I've been more than pleased with their products.

<a href="http://imgur.com/PcF4wYR" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/PcF4wYR.jpg</a>
View Quote

Does the 16" setup have one of Faxon's headspaced bolt/barrel sets? If so what do you think?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#27]
sorry ...double tap
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Does the 16" setup have one of Faxon's headspaced bolt/barrel sets? If so what do you think?
View Quote

The first pic does have a Faxon barrel, gas block, & their complete Bolt Carrier Group. Amazing fit and finish! Preformed flawlessly at the range this weekend. putting together a 3-gun rifle for my wife now..... I'll be using Faxon on that rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The first pic does have a Faxon barrel, gas block, & their complete Bolt Carrier Group. Amazing fit and finish! Preformed flawlessly at the range this weekend. putting together a 3-gun rifle for my wife now..... I'll be using Faxon on that rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What are your plans for the 3-gun rifle?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Only because I have a lot of parts already from other rifles. I would really only be purchasing a few small parts, a barrel, & a BCG.

- 2A Armament upper & Lower receivers
- 2A Armanent 15" M-Lok hand guard
- JP trigger
- Magpul STR stock
- Hogue grip
- Faxon 16" Gunner Barrel
- Adjustable Gas Block (SLR?)
- Faxon Light Weight BCG
- JP Silent Captured Spring
- Vortex Strike Eagle
- Aero Light Weight SPR scope mount

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Only because I have a lot of parts already from other rifles. I would really only be purchasing a few small parts, a barrel, & a BCG.

- JP trigger
- Magpul STR stock
- Hogue grip
- Faxon Light Weight BCG
- Vortex Strike Eagle

View All Quotes
Quoted:

- JP trigger
- Magpul STR stock
- Hogue grip
- Faxon Light Weight BCG
- Vortex Strike Eagle

I will be receiving one of RCA's UL Titanium complete BCGs w/Adj. Gas Key soon and I will post pictures and review if your interested.
I'm choosing to go with the Faxon Gunner too, just the 14.5" variant! Thinking about their head spaced bolt option too? Not sure if it's necessary though?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  I will be receiving one of RCA's UL Titanium complete BCGs w/Adj. Gas Key soon and I will post pictures and review if your interested.
I'm choosing to go with the Faxon Gunner too, just the 14.5" variant! Thinking about their head spaced bolt option too? Not sure if it's necessary though?
View Quote

Most of us don't check headspace on ARs.  Cheap insurance, however.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP, you're a few inches taller than my wife, so I've been down this road before.

9 times out of 10, when a smaller person says that a gun is too heavy, it's really too long.   Collapse the stock as far as it will go, use a short, pencil-weight barrel(16", or even 14.5 w/pinned flash hider)  Don't do heavy handguards, plain plastic ones are great.

View Quote

this
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you! I'm looking at the Faxon 14.5" gunner barrel currently, it seems to be more rugged yet still lighter than the 16" pencil barrels out there.??
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thank you! I'm looking at the Faxon 14.5" gunner barrel currently, it seems to be more rugged yet still lighter than the 16" pencil barrels out there.??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I strongly recommend the 14.5" Faxon GUNNER.  I purchased mine from AIM Surplus because it came with the added bonus of a pinned gas block.  I paired it with an AIM Nitride V2 BCG.  I did check headspace with both a Colt Field Gage and a Forster Min Gage.  Checked out just fine.   ADCO Firearms did my Pin and Weld.  Highly Recommend them!

The handling and weight savings over my 16 inch carbines is pure bliss.  I was surprised at how much an inch and a half makes.  Wow!    Good luck with your build!

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I strongly recommend the 14.5" Faxon GUNNER.  I purchased mine from AIM Surplus because it came with the added bonus of a pinned gas block.  I paired it with an AIM Nitride V2 BCG.  I did check headspace with both a Colt Field Gage and a Forster Min Gage.  Checked out just fine.   ADCO Firearms did my Pin and Weld.  Highly Recommend them!

The handling and weight savings over my 16 inch carbines is pure bliss.  I was surprised at how much an inch and a half makes.  Wow!    Good luck with your build!

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o525/nelsd99/AR15/14%205%20Faxon/IMG_20160916_121250981.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o525/nelsd99/AR15/14%205%20Faxon/IMG_20160916_121250981.jpg

Awesome! The 1.20 Lb weight with the meat of the barrel being to the rear and pencil profile at the front sounds like it would balance the rifle well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I want to put together every component myself! Install the barrel, gas block, trigger, etc.. I have a vice in the garage with a set of tools I got off midway. I've been reading and reading and reading! I need help selecting pieces though and would like all the input ya'll can give! I want to make good informed decision and not expensive mistakes!
View Quote

I like your style!

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take a look at the Ballistic Advantage Hanson 14.5"...includes a pinned gas block.

You would need to have the flash hider pinned & welded unless you want to do the SBR paperwork, so I'd recommend a VooDoo Manimal flash hider wich will allow the .75" gas block to slide over it after its been welded.

More Manimal info here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks, backbencher.  Some nice rifles there, gun porn for the ultralight cognoscenti.  Its an ongoing General Discussion picture thread (53 pages) for anything under 6 pounds.  However, there is quite a bit of difference between a 6 pounder without any sights and a sub-5 pounder with a scope mounted like yours.

I posted a couple pics of my scoped 5-pounder, in 6.8 SPC, on page 53:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/625051_ULTRA_light_weight_picture_thread____the_under_6_crowd_.html&page=53
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Take a look at the Ballistic Advantage Hanson 14.5"...includes a pinned gas block.

You would need to have the flash hider pinned & welded unless you want to do the SBR paperwork, so I'd recommend a VooDoo Manimal flash hider wich will allow the .75" gas block to slide over it after its been welded.

More Manimal info here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More Manimal info here.

Alittle heavier on the price than the Faxon option though...
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I like your style!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More Manimal info here.

Yes, just a touch heavier, but a better profile IMHO, and at that price includes a pinned gas block too.

Using a barrel with a .75" gas block and the Manimal allows you to alter the configuration as you desire without the need to grind off the welded flash hider and weld another on.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes, just a touch heavier, but a better profile IMHO, and at that price includes a pinned gas block too.

Using a barrel with a .75" gas block and the Manimal allows you to alter the configuration as you desire without the need to grind off the welded flash hider and weld another on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More Manimal info here.

Ok, I see what your saying. Do you have to weld it on or just pin it? I have seen people on here say different things.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Look at F-1 Firearms for some light build components. My wife (5'3") loved running their rifles in full auto at the Texas Firearms Festival last Friday. Kind of expensive but if you have the funds their "chassis" setup could be a great option.

You stated you are new to ARs so again, as others have stated, please pin and weld your muzzle device as using a 14.5" barrel without getting ATF approval for a short barreled rifle is a crime.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ok, I see what your saying. Do you have to weld it on or just pin it? I have seen people on here say different things.
View Quote

Both   Seriously though a small hole is drilled through the side of the muzzle device into the barrel threads. Then a small pin is inserted into the hole to keep the muzzle device from being rotated (removed). A small weld is placed over the hole to retain the pin. This is "permanent" as it takes a grinder to remove the weld to access the pin.

ETA:  This is the typical professional method. There are other ways but this is what higher quality shops do.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Both   Seriously though a small hole is drilled through the side of the muzzle device into the barrel threads. Then a small pin is inserted into the hole to keep the muzzle device from being rotated (removed). A small weld is placed over the hole to retain the pin. This is "permanent" as it takes a grinder to remove the weld to access the pin.

ETA:  This is the typical professional method. There are other ways but this is what higher quality shops do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you! Good to know.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like you want to build your own, there is a lot of great info in this thread.

I assembled one similar to what I think you may want.

The upper is built on an Anderson receiver, VooDoo 14.5 pinned barrel, Manimal FH, and a Nikon fixed power scope.
The lower is a Crusader, with a MFT stock, short and not too heavy. 6.5 LBS, take the scope off its 5.6 pounds.

This build was not really built with the intent of a "lightweight" outcome, to go that route can get expensive.
What I ended up with is a lighter than normal build that turned out pretty good in my opinion, for a reasonable price.
All assembled in my garage.  It handles well.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sounds like you want to build your own, there is a lot of great info in this thread.

I assembled one similar to what I think you may want.

The upper is built on an Anderson receiver, VooDoo 14.5 pinned barrel, Manimal FH, and a Nikon fixed power scope.
The lower is a Crusader, with a MFT stock, short and not too heavy. 6.5 LBS, take the scope off its 5.6 pounds.

This build was not really built with the intent of a "lightweight" outcome, to go that route can get expensive.
What I ended up with is a lighter than normal build that turned out pretty good in my opinion, for a reasonable price.
All assembled in my garage.  It handles well.  Good luck and keep us posted.

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss1/west467/Crusader.jpg

View Quote

A very nice looking rifle! I will definitely keep y'all posted as progress is made. I also plan on putting my progress on my YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#49]
A .625 gas block 14.5" barrel would be smart.  It does make a difference.

Also you're right about barrel profile making more sense to be weighted towards rear, so to speak.

This is a really handy but tough build without any special parts.  Well under 6lb.  14.5 .625 ba hanson barrel, got it for 179 shipped with a gas block.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#50]
any respectable rifle needs one of these...

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/1250/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top