Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2016 2:50:16 PM EDT
Hello, I wanted to start my first budget build AR. Looking to start on 308 AR as my first build.   Wanted to get advice  where online websites to start looking for parts.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
a 308 AR isn't really a good choice for a first build.  Not all the parts are compatible and the whole thing can get really confusing and tricky.  If you're really insistant, at least get a 308 build kit so you have a guarantee that everything fits together.

Or you could just drop $350 on a PSA kit and know the quality is solid and learn how it all goes together.

Edit:  a 308 build is not a "budget" build.  It will cost AT LEAST $1500 to get it shooting and ammo will be super expensive as well.  I would definitely recommend going down to a 556
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you for the advice.  where will i start to look at parts?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

These are my go-to sites for AR parts:

Palmetto State Armory
Joe Bob Outfitters
Brownells

Also, if you're looking at cost vs quality, you should know that there are only a few spots that you *need* to spend money on to get max performance.

-Barrel
-BCG
-trigger/LPK (within reason)
-Optic

Everything else can be super cheap from a no-name manufacturer and you'll have zero functional issues.  Egonomics are also a big deal, but if this is your first AR, you should just get a plain, mil-style AR and figure out your ergonomic tastes before dropping $300 on a fancy magpul stock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank You I will start looking at parts.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The top and bottom of this page is lined with good vendors.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does this mean your persuaded to go 556/223 first build?

Provide some more background on what your looking to use this build for.... it will help folks guide you in the right direction.

Are you looking for a complete upper or are you planning to buy tools to build that too?  

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
From my understanding the AR-15 platform is less finicky to build than an AR-10.  I may build a .308 down the road but wanted something that was more of a known entity as far as assembling parts goes so I went AR-15 for my first build.  Turned out great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably looking at complete kits. This will be my first time to build one. Just wanted to see where to start.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I did a LR-308 / AR-10 build as my first build, however as others have stated, it was NOT a budget build. I went with it because I wanted a specific hunting cartridge (45 Raptor) that would be legal to use in my area and could be used on large & dangerous game) I just finished my first AR-15 5.56 build this last weekend. For myself it wasn't any easier or harder. However, I used components from the same manufacturer for my 45 Raptor build (Aero Precision for the lower, upper, LPK, upper parts, BCG, & charging handle) so I knew I wouldn't have to cope with fitment issues.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Probably looking at complete kits. This will be my first time to build one. Just wanted to see where to start.
View Quote

Go AR15 for the first, you can then have something to plink with a bit cheaper as you put together a Kickass308.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top